+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting rid of the "zomg fulminate 6kcrit" whines

Telaran

Default Getting rid of the "zomg fulminate 6kcrit" whines

Swap controlled opportunity and swift control in the dominator tree, or otherwise move controlled opportunity up in the dom tree.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fail View Post
    Swap controlled opportunity and swift control in the dominator tree, or otherwise move controlled opportunity up in the dom tree.

Thoughts?
    I think you should let them whine... I certainly have whined long enough....since beta.

Thoughts?

God wouldnt that just nerf dominators? more than they already are???

???

just get rid of the 100% damage bonus temp buff in warfronts instead

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

Anyway captain fail... you can do way more damage with swift control ... are you any good at math? do you even play a mage? Is it possible to have fulminate with a full 5 points in controlled opportunity , and have insta cast transmorgrify?

I can get +30% damage with controlled opportunity with a 2 second cast time on transmorgrify. So Id have to use it on a opportunity proc..which means that all the stars have to be lined up as usual to pull off a mage ZMFG hit... which can be rare as hell and tied to a 51 point spell that is usable every 45 seconds whereas I get crit by warriors multiple times in a row for 3.6k total damage all the time... even after the patch its still not that rare..I wouldnt live long enough to cast transmorgrify.

aux

I think Fulminate should be AoE damage and turn survivors into squirrels.

Oh wait.. I left something out... you have to have 100 charge to even use fulminate so ... youd have to get an opportunity proc while you have the 100% spell point buff, and have 100 charge, to fire an instant transmog, and then hit for a bagillion points of damage.... or risk death casting a 2 second spell for the transmog during the right point in a 45 second window... again all the stars have to line up, plus we have to get a +100% spell power buff to pull this off. whereas other classes can carve us up in less than 2 seconds if we arent standing in our GoS.. and dont forget GoS is dispellable...... why are we talking about nerfing mages again? Its not like we are getting something for nothing..certainly not as OP as 100% armor penetration with all instant abilities and crit at will type talents....

Quote Originally Posted by Wheldrake View Post
    Oh wait.. I left something out... you have to have 100 charge to even use fulminate so ... youd have to get an opportunity proc while you have the 100% spell point buff, and have 100 charge, to fire an instant transmog, and then hit for a bagillion points of damage.... or risk death casting a 2 second spell for the transmog during the right point in a 45 second window... again all the stars have to line up, plus we have to get a +100% spell power buff to pull this off. whereas other classes can carve us up in less than 2 seconds if we arent standing in our GoS.. and dont forget GoS is dispellable...... why are we talking about nerfing mages again? Its not like we are getting something for nothing..certainly not as OP as 100% armor penetration with all instant abilities and crit at will type talents....

And lets not forget Trion's description of the pyro

"Pyromancers are destructive mages whose sole focus is the mastery of fire, from launching massive incinerating blasts, to trapping their opponents behind a smoldering wall of flame. No other Ascended can match the sheer destruction at the Pyromancer’s fingertips"

"NO OTHER ASCENDED CAN MATCH THE SHEER DESTRUCTION AT THE PYROMANCER's FINGERTIPS" ... This is why I chose mage... Thankfully Trion has finally made good on the description of the Pyromancer.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Wheldrake View Post
    Anyway captain fail... you can do way more damage with swift control ... are you any good at math? do you even play a mage? Is it possible to have fulminate with a full 5 points in controlled opportunity , and have insta cast transmorgrify?

I can get +30% damage with controlled opportunity with a 2 second cast time on transmorgrify. So Id have to use it on a opportunity proc..which means that all the stars have to be lined up as usual to pull off a mage ZMFG hit... which can be rare as hell and tied to a 51 point spell that is usable every 45 seconds whereas I get crit by warriors multiple times in a row for 3.6k total damage all the time... even after the patch its still not that rare..I wouldnt live long enough to cast transmorgrify.
    Yes, I play a mage, and my mathematical training goes quite some distance beyond the trivial arithmetics needed for this. Your tone is uncalled for, particularly since you are confusing swift control with quicken form. Swift control increases casting speed after a cc spell

You can't have instant cast transmogrify and fulminate no matter what, since quicken form requires 15 points in dominator and fulminate requires 51 points pyro. 15+51=66, which means you come up one point short if you want both quicken form (instant transmog) and fulminate. I never suggested this; in fact, I never even mentioned the cast time on transmog even in passing.

You can, however, get the full 5 pts in controlled opportunity for 50% +dmg after transmog on a target, while picking 51 pt pyro (10 points domi to reach it, plus five points for the talent itself, plus 51 in pyro. This comes out as 66 talent points. I have no idea where you're getting your 30% or instant cast transmog+fulminate ideas.

I've done this myself - grab the orb, polymorph someone (2s cast and all), use GoP and blow fulminate on them and lol at the insane numbers, particularly given a crit.

I am not suggesting that this is a particularly useful build, nor is it one I'd normally use (I typically play domi/chloro). It does, however, produce the insanely high-damage screenshots which poor players seem to think are typical of mage damage in PvP, while they are in fact nothing of the sort.
    Last edited by Captain Fail; 04-03-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramea View Post
    ???

just get rid of the 100% damage bonus temp buff in warfronts instead
    Yeah, this.

As long as it's in the game somebody somewhere sometime is going to get a crazy crit. If it weren't pyros, players would be complaining about another soul doing it.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    Yeah, this.

As long as it's in the game somebody somewhere sometime is going to get a crazy crit. If it weren't pyros, players would be complaining about another soul doing it.
    I definitely agree that these need to go away. I don't really see how they add much of any real value to the gameplay.

Rift Disciple

Thoughts?
    you dont need dom to do it.....
    Poizies - Cleric
    Poiz - Rogue

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Poiz View Post
    you dont need dom to do it.....
    Then by all means, suggest another way to make these happen. Under normal conditions, 6k fulminate crits on a non-debuffed player with anything remotely resembling a PvP spec do not happen.

+ Reply to Thread