+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The "I'm a mage with a wacky spec and its awesome" thread

Default The "I'm a mage with a wacky spec and its awesome" thread

So with the recent changes of 1.1, there is plenty of opportunity to try out new things and see what works and what doesnt.

Does anyone have or is experimenting with a new spec which is out-of-the-norm but is effective?

On my mage im currently running a Archon [39]/Necro [27]/Dominator [0] spec for normal PvE content. It seems to work well since ive got alot of buffs, i can pop emergency heals when needed and i can micro-manage the dps of my pet at the same time, plus dps isn't that bad as far as i can tell

also got a Dominator [31]/Pyro [29] /Archmage [5] which probably isn't rare but the reduced cast times and increased damage of cc's can be deadly, i can 1v1 effectively in that. i also run a 38 chloro/ 23 lock/ 5 archmage spec for pvp if there aren't any other healers in the warfront.

Doing 35warlock/16 necro/15 archmage for pvp and It's a mad fun and powerful spec. Prolly not considered a "wacky" spec though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    So with the recent changes of 1.1, there is plenty of opportunity to try out new things and see what works and what doesnt.

Does anyone have or is experimenting with a new spec which is out-of-the-norm but is effective?

On my mage im currently running a Archon [39]/Necro [27]/Dominator [0] spec for normal PvE content. It seems to work well since ive got alot of buffs, i can pop emergency heals when needed and i can micro-manage the dps of my pet at the same time, plus dps isn't that bad as far as i can tell

also got a Dominator [31]/Pyro [29] /Archmage [5] which probably isn't rare but the reduced cast times and increased damage of cc's can be deadly, i can 1v1 effectively in that. i also run a 38 chloro/ 23 lock/ 5 archmage spec for pvp if there aren't any other healers in the warfront.
    i'm running the classic standard ops Necro/warlock build and i've have yet to lose 1v1 in world pvp while i'm questing and have come damn close to taking out 1 guy when i'm jumped by 2

i did manage to rickroll a pyro mage 2 levels higher then me 3 times back to back, and when i say rickroll i mean he was getting spanked so hard i seen him reach for his whistle while he was yelling raaa- something i don't know cause he died mid word.
    Last edited by Nevanus; 04-02-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Sword of Telara

When you said whacky, I was expecting something like Chloro + necro or something like that.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Liper View Post
    When you said whacky, I was expecting something like Chloro + necro or something like that.
    I have a Lock/Chloro/Dom for pve/world pvp

I've got a Chloro/Necro role for taking out elites. I made it to do the elite quests in Moonshade, which it does very well at. I only have to keep up Necrosis and Looming Demise so that the pet holds aggro, and then spam Chloro nukes. This also works for bonus stage rift boss kills if I'm solo.

33/33 Dominator/Necro

Empty the Crypts, Lich, Split Personality.

5+3+1 = 9 mobs of joy running at my target smiling broadly... who also happens to be a cute little squirrel!

I enjoy it, have a hard time staying alive and AoE mages say "LULZ" but it's a FUN build to use. Works great when you get CCed by a someone and your minion army kills them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Djini View Post
    I've got a Chloro/Necro role for taking out elites. I made it to do the elite quests in Moonshade, which it does very well at. I only have to keep up Necrosis and Looming Demise so that the pet holds aggro, and then spam Chloro nukes. This also works for bonus stage rift boss kills if I'm solo.
    I've been experimenting with an Elemental/Archon/Pyro build that is a ton of fun, and has some very nice semi-controlable burst: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zqzI.EtIkRgkAtz.Voeo

The basic rotation is: Get all your Buffs/Debuffs up (except the aura's). Load your Fire Dots on (you have 3 of them), Cast Pillaging stone/Crystaline Missles, and as soon as the cast finishes cast Icy Carapace. Because Pillage/Missles have travel time carapace will be on the mob when they hit, and will detonate, Lightning Strike -> Flame Bolt at the end of it. These two small chains give some nice burst (2600 if both shots crit). The AOE isn't bad (Burning Ground & Fiery Assault) but it's nothing to get super excited over. This is more of a Single Target spec. With this build I have pulled from a Tank with a lucky(unlucky?) string of crits on the "burst" portion, and several crits from the dots+Elemental Forces+Intensify Elements.

Pet of choice is the Air ele (for hopefully obvious reasons).
    Last edited by LatsyrcMoy; 04-03-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Champion

Pre 1.1 I was workin with a 32/22/12 Dom/Chloro/Lock spec, its great for survival/mana regen.
    I'm currently playing around with a 38/18/10 Dom/Chloro/Storm build. (storm for AoE Chloro for aoe heals + aoe cc)

44 Ele / 21 Necro.

If it's silly and it works, it's not silly. =P

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...t-a-silly-idea.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

Ascendant

44 pyro/22 chloro - the Healer from the Green Castle - healing is bard-level or a little bit better, cc invulnerability and 30% dr is priceless, you still can burst down people wich didnt know better than get into your face with fireballs and cinderbursts.
    also for solo pve you can bring down daily quests elites with ease and kill whoever engage you.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Champion

Just gotta say...

Controlled Op + Arctic Blast + Storm Shackle + near-instant cast Forked lightning = Awesomeness. When I get entropic viel(+lifegiving) @ 50 with my proposed spec, its going to be more so. :P

I'm level 32atm, and I'm getting spike damage upwards of 380DPS. (against single mobs, and multiple.)

I'm Necro with the leftover points in Chloro... works out well for leveling...
    Last edited by Annabella; 04-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.

A little kindness goes a long way.

I'm also running 44 pyro/22 chloro, 6000+ HP buffed in GoS. It's weird because you're casting nature's touch one second, and then spamming heatwave fireballs the next, but it works despite the complete lack of obvious synergy.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nevanus View Post
    i'm running the classic standard ops Necro/warlock build and i've have yet to lose 1v1 in world pvp while i'm questing and have come damn close to taking out 1 guy when i'm jumped by 2.
    Throw 5 pts into Archmage and detaunt one. Makes 2v1s much easier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast