+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Suggestion] Pet Weaponry

Soulwalker

Default [Suggestion] Pet Weaponry

Hey guys, I had a neat idea with pets.

I'd like to suggest being able to equip a better axe, sword, shield, or even armor on your pet.

You would have to bind the armor/weapon on the pet, and would lose it upon it's death.

Let me know what you guys think.

Would you like this implemented? Would you like this implemented with certain restrictions? Or is this a bad idea?

Telaran

Not a fan of the idea. This was possible in EverQuest with Necromancers and it became more of a chore than a benefit. Throwing more weapons at your pet everytime it died/despawned got old pretty fast.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    Not a fan of the idea. This was possible in EverQuest with Necromancers and it became more of a chore than a benefit. Throwing more weapons at your pet everytime it died/despawned got old pretty fast.
    Right, but the mob does always come with his weapon. Since I'm on necro I'll use it as an example. It comes with a sword. We'll have the swords strength go up, as it levels up, or as you level up. You'd only add one for the extra punch--If you're willing on losing an item indefinitely. I think in EQ they didn't have pets who came with weapons. They were kinda fist punching. I can't remember tho, I played that 6 years ago.

On the other hand, I do understand what you're saying and I appreciate your input.
    Last edited by Deadlychants; 04-03-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Soulwalker

I hate to double post, but seriously? Only one person has a thought on this. ;(

Rift Chaser

Pet equipment would be fun, especially if it worked off of planarite or another optional currency so that the itemization didn't impinge on raid itemization.

This was all kinda worked around by giving pets portions of your stats. Though I do miss being able to give them equipment, it would be nothing more then a gimmick.

PvP against me is alot like sex with me. Its quick, unexpected and ends with only me satisfied.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dorai View Post
    Pet equipment would be fun, especially if it worked off of planarite or another optional currency so that the itemization didn't impinge on raid itemization.
    Cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by urvine View Post
    This was all kinda worked around by giving pets portions of your stats. Though I do miss being able to give them equipment, it would be nothing more then a gimmick.
    Oh, I didn't realize it had already been around in RIFT.

Perhaps a small, Two Lesser Essence slotted Sourcemachine would do the trick, that wasn't lost upon death. The stats aren't insane, even at level 50, (What, 25 Endurance from xEssences?) and you can specialize pets with roles that they can fill in Rifts that a player wouldn't want too, save for healing. Plus it can be used on pets that wouldn't normally be using weaponry, the Beastmaster pet for example.
    Spindrifter Pyro/Warlock/Archon on Freeholme

I do miss giving ol' Jabober one of those cool-looking scythes and seeing him run around with it equipped!

Still, I don't really know that I want the extra burden of purchasing / making / carrying extra gear for my pet. There's something to be said for keeping it simple.

Proudly hitching dreams to stars for over fifty years!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlychants View Post
    You'd only add one for the extra punch--If you're willing on losing an item indefinitely. I think in EQ they didn't have pets who came with weapons. They were kinda fist punching.
    The enchanter's animation came with a sword and shield. You had to give them at least one weapon to have them dual wield.

All other pets did not spawn with weapons.

In the current EQ, pets do not immediately despawn when you zone or log so they keep those weapons (and buffs) a while longer. Also, there have been mage-summoned procing weapons for a few expansions - for extra damage or hate generation.

The actual DAMAGE output does not change if you give an EQ pet a weapon. (the dagger thing was fixed a long time ago)
    Only weapon procs can have a small effect.

Giving Rift pets a weapon (or another item) could be handled like the Diablo2 iron golem.
    You summon the pet while holding the item on your cursor.
    Item is consumed and the pet inherits some or all of the item's stats. That can be armour, damage, whatever.
    This system also limits this to one item per pet, preventing stacking to high heavens.

It would be a nice way to give tradeskillers an outlet for... stuff - not only for weapons!
    Weapons and armour could be considered consumeables even if they are not the greatest blue / purple quality.
    May not get rich from that but if it helps paying for a tradeskiller's operating costs... cool beans.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

+ Reply to Thread