+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DoT build

Shadowlander

Default DoT build

I love dots. Thought I'd preface the whole post with that statement. That being said, I'm looking to make a great DoT build that does respectable damage.

Here's what I have so far
    11 in Archon for searing and leeching
    at least 38 in warlock to unlock defile
    8 in necro to improve necrosis

So, with that said, we have dark touch, necrosis, searing, leeching (on cd), defile, and life leech which is to be refreshed with void bolt. Getting all these dots hitting hard is only 57 points, which leaves us with 9 points to spare. Where should these go? Would a pure dot build work with your bread and butter nuke (void bolt) being used to refresh life leech? With four dots hitting, five when leeching is up, I'd think the DPS would be pretty respectable.

A pet would be pointless as you only have 8 points in Necro. Maybe put the spare 9 points in Warlock to even further increase the DoT damage. I don't think this build would have any mana problems at all with both exhiliration ticking off dot crits, AND leeching, therefore there would be no downtime or GCD wastes with sac life: mana. What else would you do with your charge other then spend it on defile, which in my experience, is really easy to keep both your charge and defile up at all times.

Anyway, I am going to be testing this build further in the following weeks and would just like some more input. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    I love dots. Thought I'd preface the whole post with that statement. That being said, I'm looking to make a great DoT build that does respectable damage.

So, with that said, we have dark touch, necrosis, searing, leeching (on cd), defile, and life leech which is to be refreshed with void bolt. Getting all these dots hitting hard is only 57 points, which leaves us with 9 points to spare. Where should these go? Would a pure dot build work with your bread and butter nuke (void bolt) being used to refresh life leech? With four dots hitting, five when leeching is up, I'd think the DPS would be pretty respectable.

A pet would be pointless as you only have 8 points in Necro. Maybe put the spare 9 points in Warlock to even further increase the DoT damage. I don't think this build would have any mana problems at all with both exhiliration ticking off dot crits, AND leeching, therefore there would be no downtime or GCD wastes with sac life: mana. What else would you do with your charge other then spend it on defile, which in my experience, is really easy to keep both your charge and defile up at all times.

Anyway, I am going to be testing this build further in the following weeks and would just like some more input. Thanks.
    Try swapping Archon for Chloro. Withering Vines is a nice dot, that has some added perks(albeit a cast time), Stream of Reclaimation already hit hard(but with the lock talent hits even harder), and with Nature's Corruption Ruin & Vile Spores will get a DoT component (that is affected by the Lock talent). You also get some nice survivability, and what not. @ 21 points you get a nice bubble/mana regen, a ton of extra HP, and some other goodies(In combat rez for example).

I've actually considered specing Out of Bolt just because I find I rarely need to cast it

Shadowlander

Woah, you're actually right. I've become too attracted to the meager 2 dots that archon offers with 11 points, one of which is on a CD.

Plus entropic veil...Hrmm. Gonna spend the next week or so trying out both Archon/Lock/Necro and Cloro/lock/necro

I prefered the chloros dots over archons. The other abilites you get for spending points are respectably good if your trying to DoT down your enemies
    Server:Atrophinius
    Faction: Defiant
    Name: Hizaki
    Level: 50
    Class: Mage
    PVE Soul: Storm caller, Elementalist, Dominator
    PVP Soul: Elementalist, Pyromancer, Chloromancer

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ya I'm a zombie baby, I can teach you how to zombie Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    Teach you, teach you, teach you how to zombie
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Shadowlander

I like Chloro / Lock for AoE DoTs, but my pull cycle can get a little bland =p I go half and half, at least up to Corrosion in Chloro. Round up as many mobs as you think you can take, cast radiant spores, pop Corrosion and Entropic Veil, cast Devouring Shadows.... then play it by ear. Refresh radiant spores. Cast mortality if you need it. Or just keep devouring those shadows until they die.

But a Lock / Necro / Archon is probably better for single target dots. I'd do something like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...V0fo.ce0AkVqxk

Keep Pillaging Stone up x5. Pop Consuming Flames on yourself. Then you can either kite, or just pile on through. I'd try:

Necrosis - 18 sec
    Dark Touch - 16 sec
    Defile - 16 sec
    Neddra's Grasp - 15 sec
    Life Leech - 12 sec, followed immediately by:
    Leeching Flames - 12 sec
    Searing Vitality - 6 sec
    Soul Purge - channeled, 8 sec
    Cast Void Bolt on opportunity procs, or Life Leech if it's worn off.

The mob should easily be dead by the end of Soul Purge. You can always cast it sooner, too. This build could probably do nice aoe dots as well... round up some mobs, Dark Touch + Neddra's grasp + Radiate death... Devouring Shadows + Mortality as needed... Shadow Life + Soul Purge + Neddra's Essence. All good stuff.
    Last edited by Aqualad; 04-03-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Soulwalker

Maybe it's because I'm not end-game... but I'm confused a bit.

Why are you bothering with Necro at all? For the pet? That makes no sense to me. I don't understand why everyone is all up about Necro being so good. I don't see it. I personally dislike the Necro soul, but that's just because I have a thing against pets. But regardless, for a DoT build, why is Necro even in the mix? That makes no sense.

I run a DoT mage. Granted, I'm not at a high level, but I have gotten first place in a WF in every category at the same time with it.

Chloro/Archon/Lock

This is the best DoT setup I have found. You get the healing benifits from Chloro (especially Radiant Spores) off most of your DoT ticks. You also get Withering Vines, and if you spec right, the DoT bonus from Vile Spores. Count in all the dots you get from Warlock, on top of Dark Armor (or Warlock Armor) for when you get hit... then you toss in Burning Vitality and Pillaging Stone you get from a 0 point add from Archon... once you get your Oppertunity hit from the Lock spec, fire off a Pillaging Stone at no cast time to nerf your enemy and boost your own damage.

So you've got around 5 or 6 dots running at nearly all times, procing heals off most of them, and with the Lock's ability to sacrifice life for mana, you've got an infinate mana supply. Toss in Bloom (Spec'd for instant cast) and Shadow Life for emergencies, along with Mortality for when you're overwhelmed... there's really no reason to even bother with Necro at all. Your pet can not compare.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkKitten View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm not end-game... but I'm confused a bit.

Why are you bothering with Necro at all? For the pet? That makes no sense to me. I don't understand why everyone is all up about Necro being so good. I don't see it. I personally dislike the Necro soul, but that's just because I have a thing against pets. But regardless, for a DoT build, why is Necro even in the mix? That makes no sense.

I run a DoT mage. Granted, I'm not at a high level, but I have gotten first place in a WF in every category at the same time with it.

Chloro/Archon/Lock

This is the best DoT setup I have found. You get the healing benifits from Chloro (especially Radiant Spores) off most of your DoT ticks. You also get Withering Vines, and if you spec right, the DoT bonus from Vile Spores. Count in all the dots you get from Warlock, on top of Dark Armor (or Warlock Armor) for when you get hit... then you toss in Burning Vitality and Pillaging Stone you get from a 0 point add from Archon... once you get your Oppertunity hit from the Lock spec, fire off a Pillaging Stone at no cast time to nerf your enemy and boost your own damage.

So you've got around 5 or 6 dots running at nearly all times, procing heals off most of them, and with the Lock's ability to sacrifice life for mana, you've got an infinate mana supply. Toss in Bloom (Spec'd for instant cast) and Shadow Life for emergencies, along with Mortality for when you're overwhelmed... there's really no reason to even bother with Necro at all. Your pet can not compare.
    Necrosis, grave rot, soul purge, and you get to hide behind a pet while you get all your DoTs up.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    If I'm gonna pay someone to express contempt for me, it's gonna be a hot chick in leather.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mercykiller101 View Post
    Necrosis, grave rot, soul purge, and you get to hide behind a pet while you get all your DoTs up.
    Yes, but how many can you hold with your pet? And what if you fight something that ignores your pet?

I just don't see it. Too much reliance on a pet isn't good if that pet is either killed or unavailable.

Maybe it's just me.

With 8 points in necro that's not a pet, that's a doorstop.
    It can probably hold a single mob long enough to get some instant DoTs on (because they have low initial aggro) but that's it.
    At 32 necro you get a 30 sec snare that can be kept up but at that point you probably have the pet Mk2 as well... and not enough points for the fancier DoT builds.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

Yes, but how many can you hold with your pet? And what if you fight something that ignores your pet?

I just don't see it. Too much reliance on a pet isn't good if that pet is either killed or unavailable.

Maybe it's just me.
    My record was 5 level 46s @ level 42. Post patch, after radiant spores was nerfed.

Get life leech+ necrosis on all the mobs, spam grave rot and soul purge all the time to keep you and your pet's health up. Once you get below 30% health use mortality.
    If I'm gonna pay someone to express contempt for me, it's gonna be a hot chick in leather.

My record was 5 level 46s @ level 42. Post patch, after radiant spores was nerfed.

Get life leech+ necrosis on all the mobs, spam grave rot and soul purge all the time to keep you and your pet's health up. Once you get below 30% health use mortality.
    With my Lock/Chloro/Necro(8pt) I regularly solo Minor rifts up to 2 levels above me at any given time. All 5 stages (though I have to cheat on stage 5 with either Holy Champion or swapping to Ele and pet tank/draining). I also run around with 6k hp, self buffed. It's amazing to have that much HP, and heal as much as I do. For the record I do not have Corrosion in my current build, but probably will when I fix it.
    Last edited by LatsyrcMoy; 04-03-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Soulwalker

You can do the same thing without the pet. Replace Necrosis with Withering Vines, compiled with Radiant Spores and Life Leech you'll have plenty of healing coming your way. Warlock Armor also heals you, and any damage it does also has a chance to proc Radient Spores again. By now you should have 5 stacks of Burning Vitality, giving you a good little HP boost to play with. Start dotting up everything around you and you'll have a pretty much solid green healing bar flying off the charts. Any opportunity shots you get you can launch off Pillaging Stone, further boosting your stats and ruining your enemies. You generally don't even need to hit with Mortality unless you feel like it, because it's doubtful that you'll end up in any situation that a quick Bloom couldn't fix. And if you do end up in a bad stituation, as you know there's always Mortality or Shadow Life. I really just see no use for the pet.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post

Last edited by Verwustena; 04-03-2011 at 06:20 AM.

You can do the same thing without the pet. Replace Necrosis with Withering Vines, compiled with Radiant Spores and Life Leech you'll have plenty of healing coming your way. Warlock Armor also heals you, and any damage it does also has a chance to proc Radient Spores again. By now you should have 5 stacks of Burning Vitality, giving you a good little HP boost to play with. Start dotting up everything around you and you'll have a pretty much solid green healing bar flying off the charts. Any opportunity shots you get you can launch off Pillaging Stone, further boosting your stats and ruining your enemies. You generally don't even need to hit with Mortality unless you feel like it, because it's doubtful that you'll end up in any situation that a quick Bloom couldn't fix. And if you do end up in a bad stituation, as you know there's always Mortality or Shadow Life. I really just see no use for the pet.
    My intention was never to claim that necro/lock was more efficient than your build, you asked how it was viable and I answered you. Personally I prefer if the pet gets the aggro and I just focus on healing him. Together we have 6k HP. Without the Pet I'd only have my own HP, regardless of whether I can heal or not.

Soulwalker

Can you please post your build and rotation! I hate using pets and was looking for a good build without relying on a pet. Thanks in advance!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast