+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When did mages suddenly become OP?

Champion

Default When did mages suddenly become OP?

Where's all this whining coming from?
    All that was added to mage with 1.1 was the armour, which wasn't even much, really they nerfed mages more than they buffed them.

How come mages are suddenly OP?
    Explain.

Sword of Telara

They aren't. It's just that the ones that leveled and face rolled mages the whole way are now in the 40+ warfronts and finding out GoS means the pyro (not mage) can nuke em a bit first and sometimes even kill them, when it never happened that way before!

No one thinks mages are OP, but some think because a pyro with wings on is kill them with 4+ lucky events in a row in a short time frame they are OP.

Almost every single screen shot you see that involves someone dying in a very short span, usually involves 2-5crits/lucky events. like two instant cinder bursts that both crit and whatever the middle spell was critting.

Some are upset about pyro's fulminate because it's a rude awakening to have your health bar get blown down on a lucky crit (fulminate can 1shot with wings, but other than that, usually requires other spells with it also)

Sword of Telara

oh there was the patch note about mages all the way around getting a damage increase, so alot assume it's the damage increase that's kill em, rather than wings, or luck lol.

Mages aren't OP. If anything as a calling they're still very slightly underpowered.

It's ground of strength that's OP.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

no one is saying mages i dont think...just pyros...

mages aren't OP. Pyro's are because of GoS and all their procs. If they want to make Pyro's glass cannons with all those procs and crazy burst, they should be very squishy.

tbh, the other mage souls are fairly solid....
    Hi, I'm Xenic. I came to blow $hit up

Sword of Telara

sigh, there are no crazy procs anymore... Thank you come again.

Rift Chaser

Mages are not exactly the problem.

Ground of Strength is a problem with Pyros.

Necro/locks are a tad OP 1v1 though in WFs they're not too bad.

The reason people are screaming OP now is because there aren't a bunch of warriors smashing their faces in before the pyros get a cast off or the necros built up enough charge. Also the warriors (and sabos) aren't roflstomping all over the mages.

In short the problems with mages were always there they were just hidden behind another problem which has now been resolved thereby exposing the problems with certain mage specs.

P.S. I play a cleric.
    My hybrid just kicked your ***, how sad are you?

Sword of Telara

Yeah it sucks when your favorite punching bag starts hanging around a little longer.... Sure they still die, but running up and hitting two buttons and getting your gib in record time was soo much more satisfying....

How dare they be able to get two spells off first!

Shadowlander

I'd say the armor increase was pretty signficant, we were sitting on 10% reduction, now we have about 20% from melee, very good.

The damage increase is super marginal at level 50, but significant at the lower levels where it was needed. But the damage increase is still there. Some, or apparently alot of mages are finding that damage increase buff, going up to poeple and knocking thier Kool-aid out of thier hands, mostly as pyro with GOS. You need to get that achievement of killing someone with wings somehow, why not go big or go home.

As someone already stated before, another big thing is mages are finally hitting level 50, I personally hit 50 just days before patch 1.1. I was getting whooped up good in the 40-49 bracket untill I turned level 47 and the class really showed it's colors and potental (being a higher level didn't hurt either). I would hardly consider mages overpowered now, but heals can actually keep them up with the extra 10% reduction, and they are hitting just that marginally bit harder that actually kills you, that extra 39 points of damage over 4 spells or more makes a huge difference when you see poeple get away with SLIVERS of life left.

GOS is OP, most mages accept that, I personally feel allowing them to be CCed into the ground like other specs would almost balance it. I don't play Pyro though, so I don't care too much, I only know the semi frustration of aiming at one and them not dying then having to track down a healer to down the circle sitter.

Soulwalker

im a mage and hear my friends crying bloody murder and t be honest i secretly think they need to harden up its just we can fight back now....

Anyway my point of this post is what are 'wings'?? ive seen it a couple times here but unsure what buff/skill its in reference too

Sword of Telara

in warfronts, there's a spot that has a red orb, when you pass through it you get a buff (and red wings sprout from your back) that increases your power by 100%....

It's a major damage boost for anyone that walks through it... Unfortunately a ton of people that then get rocked by it, come here crying about it.

That's my theory anyhow, because I haven't been able to find anything yet that is as horribly OP as everyone says.

And by everyone, I mean the handful of vocal posters that seem to spend more time here than in the game.
    Last edited by Liper; 04-03-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouch View Post
    Where's all this whining coming from?
    All that was added to mage with 1.1 was the armor**, which wasn't even much, really they nerfed mages more than they buffed them.

How come mages are suddenly OP?
    Explain.
    They are op. The problem is at low levels they're weak. When we were all in our 20s and 30s every mage jumped on the forums and freaked out because they couldn't beat warriors. (Really they could it was more about who got the jump on who.) Nerfs happened because of all the QQ and now warriors kinda suck.

The thing is now EVERYONE (Not just the people who rushed) are making it to 40-50 content and finding out with gear and higher levels mages aren't weak at all. I mean you see Pyros getting beat on by 3 players and still taking out 2 of them. If you're a mage and you're not doing well in end game pvp and pve you're doing something very wrong.

There burst, utility and, survivability at 50 are all very good and the truth is you can do it all from a range which is a huge advantage. Armor has 0 effect against magic damage and because warriors can't heal at all their slightly higher health pools really make up for nothing. Pyros might be the worst of them all but any mage with a viable soul comp is more then just a little op.

Over all mages bring a lot to the table and are probably the best role for end game pvp. With the damage mitigation of Pyros especially you're going to see some player rage. I mean a class that can kill you in 1-3 hits, has high damage reduction, can stun you longer then a warrior and, is immune to all cc and silences is op. If you can read that (and all of it is true) and go "That's fair and balanced!" Then something is wrong with your brain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhCXvhlpCs
    Indeed warriors needed the nerf and mages are needed help, as seen in the video. See how the poor kid struggles to earn his food money.^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaevF...eature=related
    And the poor Cleric above...He's having such a ruff time. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iCw1F_ooo
    Even rogues have it ruff ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N-lc...layer_embedded
    But here's a warrior AoE grinding ^^ Watch as he crits the crowd for 9999.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Unspecified View Post
    Mages are not exactly the problem.

Ground of Strength is a problem with Pyros.

Necro/locks are a tad OP 1v1 though in WFs they're not too bad.

The reason people are screaming OP now is because there aren't a bunch of warriors smashing their faces in before the pyros get a cast off or the necros built up enough charge. Also the warriors (and sabos) aren't roflstomping all over the mages.

In short the problems with mages were always there they were just hidden behind another problem which has now been resolved thereby exposing the problems with certain mage specs.

P.S. I play a cleric.
    wow... this message is godsent +1 exactly what i tought

i did try the pyro by curiosity, i did good but its not all about facerolling. You know, im in my circle and a champ + assassin jump on me, i throw a fulminate on the assassin for 1800 no crit and i was mostly dead after that. I dont see the huge deal with that damage that required my 100 charges
    Last edited by darkchicken; 04-03-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liper View Post
    sigh, there are no crazy procs anymore... Thank you come again.
    You're doing it wrong then..... fulminate, proc instant cinder, proc inferno = 5k plus damage almost instantly......
    Hi, I'm Xenic. I came to blow $hit up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast