+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling as Necro/Lock Question

Soulwalker

Default Leveling as Necro/Lock Question

Hi guys

Just looking for a little help relating to leveling as a mage. I've gone necromancer and warlock which is pretty evenly distributed so I've got my tank pet in necro I'm level 20 now and going through quests fairly easily however I was under the impression of lifedrains, so far all I have is life leech which doesn't seem to do too much and also a new bolt with 30sec cd, are there more in store. Just wondering whether I'm doing something wrong.

I'm currently pulling with life leech and double dotting, with pet on the mob and spamming void due to the reduced cast time. Just wondering whether there's anything else I should be doing really?

Telaran

Soul purge at 15 points into necro tree. I find life leach obsolete once you get this. I respec'd at this point to put point into more charge and chance for faster cast. I never use void or life leech anymore.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kangtheman View Post
    Soul purge at 15 points into necro tree. I find life leach obsolete once you get this. I respec'd at this point to put point into more charge and chance for faster cast. I never use void or life leech anymore.

so u dont need lock ? and u take somthing like SC for beter dmg ?

or u can stay with 0 point in lock for the life leech ? is 30% heal is once in 12 sec, or 30% heal on evry dmg done ??

Soulwalker

Hello,

I'm leveling a Necro/Warlock/Dominator as well and just hit level 20 yesterday.
    Right now I'm 20 in Necro, 6 in Warlock and 0 in Dominator.

- Dominator with 0pt provides two nice tools, Transmogrify that "control/park" a mob for 30s and Neural Pod which is an instant DD that could be useful from time to time.
    - From Warlock I use Life Leech (improved 3/3), Dark Touch DoT, Dark Armor dam-shield and Neddra's Torture on bigger mob/harder fight.
    - Now from Necro, the pet of course (stalwart), Necrosis DoT, Grave Rot DoT AoE (that adds DC for my level 21 pet upgrade ) and the very good Reclaim Power (to transmute Pet's HP to Mage's Mana in between fights) and the very very good Soul Purge. It consumes charges and deals damages to the target while healing the caster and its pet at the same time. Far more useful than Revivify !

My rotation so far is:
    Life Leech
    Necrosis
    Dark Touch
    Grave Rot
    Life Leech
    Now I have enough charges to Soul Purge the target that is about 50% HP and dies.

Works the same with multi targets, apply DoTs on each one and Soul Purge to heal you and your pet to full while fighting. Just Reclaim Power at the end of the fight and you're 100% HP/Mana to switch to next target/group.

My build at 20: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwvs.xkctcz.bco

Hope it helps, have fun !

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Belokan View Post
    Hello,
    - Now from Necro, the pet of course (stalwart) !

but the skelton is only untill level 30 ??

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by falcor7 View Post
    but the skelton is only untill level 30 ??
    I hope not as it's the "base" of the soul ... even more if you spend points on it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Belokan View Post
    I hope not as it's the "base" of the soul ... even more if you spend points on it.

hope ?

anyone know if skelton go until 50 ??

Telaran

You want to get to ancient tomb to get the next pet, and Feign Death. Life leech takes too long to cast with only 30 percent of damage done as a healing return. Once you get soul purge you will see you don't need that spell anymore. As far as what i do is use most of my instant cast dots on Mob to build up charge.

Necrosis
    Dark touch
    Radiant spores
    Plague bolt
    Plague bolt
    Soul purge

Mob is dead by the time Necrosis is done which i have on a 15 sec timer. Your warlock ability gives you more charge per cast, and if you select Opportunity most mobs go down in 10 seconds. If you get grave rot, replace the Plague bolts with that instead and do other utilitary spells like Consumption or Sacrifice life to keep you mana max.

The initial pet has a max lvl cap of around 34 like all other classes i believe.

Soulwalker

You want to get to ancient tomb to get the next pet, and Feign Death.
    Yep, but it needs 20pts in Necro +1pt per skill ... I'm only level 20 so I can't put more than 20pts in the soul yet. Those skills are available to me but I can't put the required point yet
    The initial pet has a max lvl cap of around 34 like all other classes i believe.
    But that's not the case of the stalwart (2nd pet) right ?
    Last edited by Belokan; 03-30-2011 at 04:21 AM.

Rift Disciple

You want to get to ancient tomb to get the next pet, and Feign Death. Life leech takes too long to cast with only 30 percent of damage done as a healing return. Once you get soul purge you will see you don't need that spell anymore. As far as what i do is use most of my instant cast dots on Mob to build up charge.

Necrosis
    Dark touch
    Radiant spores
    Plague bolt
    Plague bolt
    Soul purge

Mob is dead by the time Necrosis is done which i have on a 15 sec timer. Your warlock ability gives you more charge per cast, and if you select Opportunity most mobs go down in 10 seconds. If you get grave rot, replace the Plague bolts with that instead and do other utilitary spells like Consumption or Sacrifice life to keep you mana max.

so u say lock is usless, and its beter to take nacro wite somting else ??

Soulwalker

Lock has very powerful damage buffs that work for necro too, check the tree a bit (dark power, warlock armor and potency for example). I don't cast plague bolt, because void bolt with talent cast faster for the same charge, so more soul purging, if I really want DC on a mob i use grave rot. Devouring shadows and Mortality are also very nice for AE situation.

The basic pet (stalwart and the first one, but not the mage as far as i know) stop at 30, maybe even a bit earlier. You need ancient tomb if you want the zealot (replaces the basic pet) and knight (replaces the stalwart), those two go up to level 50.
    Last edited by Diedel; 03-30-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Telaran

I am saying put the extra points in Warlocks magic affinity and oportunity. At the low lvls, your pet doesn't have very good taunt so make sure to heal it often with revivafy (until soul purge)

He didn't say Warlock is useless, he said Life Leech is useless after you get Soul Purge. Don't put points into Life Leech, put your points into Magical Affinity and Opportunity. Don't use Life Leech, use Soul Purge. Only use Void Bolt when Opportunity procs.

A little kindness goes a long way.

+ Reply to Thread