+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very interesting

Default Very interesting

I started swapping out items that had crit on them for SP items. Seems my dps has gotten low (50 or so dps) after swapping them out.

Running necro/lock build
    Taika
    50 Mage
    <Dominance>

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mucro View Post
    I started swapping out items that had crit on them for SP items. Seems my dps has gotten low (50 or so dps) after swapping them out.

Running necro/lock build
    Necro lock does DPS like a dual wield rogue would....lots of small hits. WHen you have this type of DPS, crit always works better, more crits means much better damage than a minor overall push to base damage.

I would think for your build, going with as much crit as possible would be the most beneficial simply because your most likely hitting the mob in some form 5-10 times a tick, counting pet damage.
    Last edited by Crunchyblack; 03-29-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Shadowlander

im running with crit eq with every build and im outdpsing almost every mage i meet

lot of ppl say spellpower > crit but in pvp aswell as short pve fights crit always > spell power

im talking about 700 crit unbuffed

so basically i never run under 30% crit

only with full pyro im at 25% crit unbuffed

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchyblack View Post
    Necro lock does DPS like a dual wield rogue would....lots of small hits. WHen you have this type of DPS, crit always works better, more crits means much better damage than a minor overall push to base damage.
    This is mathematically unsound, a direct 1% boost to spell damage, all other things being equal, will always be better than 1% of crit chance in Rift for mages, rogues and warriors (with certain exceptions for crit-based procs and builds that rely on them).

Now in his specific case, if he is trading 10% crit for a small spellpower boost, it might lead to a dps loss. But if you trade them in equal amounts (however much sp amounts to 1% damage increase) vs 1% crit, you should always, always take SP.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 03-29-2011 at 11:11 AM.

well you don't trade SP for crit in a 1:1 ratio...

so you have to factor in your current crit and spellpower to tell whats better

if you have 30% base crit and your spells crit 50% harder than normal hits:

.7*1+.3*1.5 = 1.15

so add 5% crit

.65*1+.35*1.5 = 1.175

so for this example 5% crit is a 2.2% damage increase

if you put in your current values of crit you can now know whether or not its worth it to use spellpower or crit

it seems to me that its always more benefical to take spellpower regardless of if you are hitting 20 small hits a second or 1 big hit a second
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 03-29-2011 at 11:25 AM.

The way I setup my stat priorities is this: int > sp > sc >= focus > end.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by xarael View Post
    The way I setup my stat priorities is this: int > sp > sc >= focus > end.
    What? Where do LOLz factor into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucro View Post

Running necro/lock build
    Mucro you dork we are like rogues. they stack dex and phys crit we stack int and spell crit. Its what we do :P.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanSlave View Post
    What? Where do LOLz factor into this?
    Do you speak english? Or is it your second language?

Rift Disciple

I'm sorry but focus is the god stat for dps until you cap it. (50/100/200)

How you can think otherwise is baffling.

Not having focus in a raid encounter is equivalent to -40% dps. Add human error into the mix due to having an impossible to sustain rotation due to resists, and it's even worse.

Have fun with that.

Shadowlander

Um, general item progression in this game seems to try really hard to ensure you have ample focus. It pretty much makes sense that it would not factor into DPS conversations.

I mean, I have like 180 focus w/o runes, and w/o any Greenscale items... I dont think any more than 100 is needed for T2s.... think you pretty much never miss in T2 @ 100+ not sure about specific Greenscale numbers... but in most cases by the time you set foot there you will be 175+ w/o trying and if you find that you ever miss/get resisted pop on a couple runes

Also, regarding DPS... instant cast dots benefit less from SP as a general rule, so crit is better. Single target cast bar and channeled spells benefit more.. as a general rule. There was a really good, and mostly accurate thread with some test results around here somewhere.

How good crit is also depends on your crit dmg modifier, if you spec elem/pyro (33/33 or whatever) you benefit more from crit due to 30% extra damage on crit.

More crit also leads to more bursty damage, which is king for pvp. So in pvp I would ALWAYS recommend crit over sp.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by xarael View Post
    Do you speak english? Or is it your second language?
    My English is fine thanks, but you may want to have your sense of humour checked. I think it may be missing.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

+ Reply to Thread