+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTF stormcaller!

Default WTF stormcaller!

Just tried stormcaller for the 2nd time in my rift career and... my AoE spells do more single target damage than my single target spells. Please tell me this is a bug...

Soulwalker

brb rerolling

Rift Master

lol hence part of the reason storm is always hurting for mana
    some of those aoe are near double the mana cost

i still mostly use single target in everyday play - no reason getting attached to those aoe knowing they'll be changed somewhere down the line

check out the icy carapace and other storm something skill in the dom line - those can do over 1k under 50 if you want to do any single targets
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-28-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by bradronis View Post
    Just tried stormcaller for the 2nd time in my rift career and... my AoE spells do more single target damage than my single target spells. Please tell me this is a bug...
    Ya, I like stormcaller alot, a suprising amount of PVP survival too....well, for cloth. But no, Forked Lightning BARELY does more than the single target nuke, but cost 3 times as much, also you put alot of points into the Soul to make these spells even worth anything. The instant Cast AE spell is amazing, but costs more than Forked Lightning, does nothing if the target isn't buffed, and later on if you take certain points can't really just be spammed.

For the 2 great AE spells Stormcallers have though, the single target nukes and DPS feels slow and low. And for the Most part is quite low, just big spikes. If the GCD was 1 sec as opposed to 1.5 Stormcallers would surely be OP, but I bet a few other Souls would as well.

Default Re: WTF stormcaller!

As mentioned already, one big difference is in mana cost. Here is the opening sequence I use for single target:

Icicle
    Raging Storm or 3 Thunderbolts
    Ice Shear
    Lightning Strike (from Elementalist)
    Lightning Field

On the alpha server, the damage on cloudburst has been increased so it does close to the same as lightning field on a practice dummy. Note that I have spent the soul points to increase damage if the target has hypothermia. If you don't have that, skip Icicle unless you need to slow the target.

Lightning Strike is the big gun here, so do whatever you need to in order make sure the target is fully electrified and has the ice shear debuff when Lightning Strike comes off cooldown.

Plane Walker

lightning field is your best single target nuke even though it's aoe.

Sounds like a broken tree. Another interesting thing was that cloudburst and ice shear (if that's the right name) are still doing much less damage than thunderbolt. There are all these talents like increases damage by 15% for each stack of electrified, increases damage by something if the target has hypothermia, and then ice shear adds 10% damage for each stack of electrified, and cloudburst/ice shear STILL do less damage than a straight up thunderbolt. Sure, they're insa cast, but it's basically the same amount of time to cast thunderbolt due to the 1.5s gcd.

I'm going to feel stupid if I got all the spell names wrong.

Rift Chaser

Sounds like a broken tree. Another interesting thing was that cloudburst and ice shear (if that's the right name) are still doing much less damage than thunderbolt. There are all these talents like increases damage by 15% for each stack of electrified, increases damage by something if the target has hypothermia, and then ice shear adds 10% damage for each stack of electrified, and cloudburst/ice shear STILL do less damage than a straight up thunderbolt. Sure, they're insa cast, but it's basically the same amount of time to cast thunderbolt due to the 1.5s gcd.

I'm going to feel stupid if I got all the spell names wrong.
    Think I remember seeing someone say CB outperforms Neural Prod, everyone's alternate spammable, once fully specced for water damage prior to the 1.1 changes. The travel time CB takes distorts things a bit. But it is great for pulling mobs in for AoE killing. Will have to play around with it post 1.1 to see.

One of the things that annoys me about SC is Building Storm. It's a great idea but has little practical use. Normal mobs are dead by the time you build it up to full crit and icicle's travel time can cause a miss on the stacks. With Favorable Conditions, you can try to work in an Icicle quick enough to take advantage of it. But we really need a decent single target hypothermia causing spell with no travel time to utilize it more often. I'm still playing around with it tho.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroshio View Post
    Think I remember seeing someone say CB outperforms Neural Prod, everyone's alternate spammable, once fully specced for water damage prior to the 1.1 changes. The travel time CB takes distorts things a bit. But it is great for pulling mobs in for AoE killing. Will have to play around with it post 1.1 to see.

One of the things that annoys me about SC is Building Storm. It's a great idea but has little practical use. Normal mobs are dead by the time you build it up to full crit and icicle's travel time can cause a miss on the stacks. With Favorable Conditions, you can try to work in an Icicle quick enough to take advantage of it. But we really need a decent single target hypothermia causing spell with no travel time to utilize it more often. I'm still playing around with it tho.
    I think the whole building storm thing needs to be changed or go away why would you use that instead of static flux maybe if it was passive and didn't consume charge.

Soulwalker

On alpha I was seeing 1600 crits on Cloudburst, tops, full electrified and hypothermia, out performing my lightning bolt.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gorelord View Post
    On alpha I was seeing 1600 crits on Cloudburst, tops, full electrified and hypothermia, out performing my lightning bolt.
    Good! With all the mulitpliers that stupid spell SHOULD be getting it shouldn't do the Trash damage it does now.

+ Reply to Thread