+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Why mages will never out dps warriors

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default Why mages will never out dps warriors

    Its basic math, and needs to be looked at and balanced.

    Mages are limited to how much dps they can do by how much dmg they do in each GCD and warriors aren't.

    Lets take possibly the largest dmg combo mages have..

    Flame bolt > Transmorgrify > fulminate can yield upwards of 4k if some ****** doest break Trans first.

    We spend 3 GCDs 5 seconds for that 4k dmg and can't be used on bosses.

    Warriors have a plethora of abilities that don't use a GCD that do dmg on 10 sec or less timers that can be put in macros and fired along with their GCD using abilities allowing them to fire multiple abilities every GCD.

    So until Trion balances this with mages casted abilities things won't change...and I would rather they balance the mage abilities than nerf warriors more.

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara Shhhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Anyway it's easy to outdps faceroll warriors in pve at least. They run in and with their 1 or 2 button macros mash it as hard as they can until they pull aggro and die and like 2 steroid homosexuals say RARRR DPS FAIL TANK CANT HOLD OUR BEEFCAKINESS RARRR and they lay there dead or wasting battle res

    So all you have to do to out dps them is use one brain cell and stay alive.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Basic math? You need to take a look at some more numbers. All of those non-global abilities are either tied to cooldowns or procs. In theory, they could all align and happen at one time. But then, the cooldown ones would go back on cooldown and the proc based ones would likely have to wait as well. Likely for procs from other abilities that are tied to the GCD.

    In any case, you're confusing burst damage and DPS.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    Anyway it's easy to outdps faceroll warriors in pve at least. They run in and with their 1 or 2 button macros mash it as hard as they can until they pull aggro and die and like 2 steroid homosexuals say RARRR DPS FAIL TANK CANT HOLD OUR BEEFCAKINESS RARRR and they lay there dead or wasting battle res

    So all you have to do to out dps them is use one brain cell and stay alive.
    Am I sensing some hostility to a certain portion of the community here? Are you feeling threatened in some way? Overcompensating perhaps?

  5. #5
    Prophet of Telara Shhhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Yes hostility towards stupid warriors who constantly die -every- single freakin boss fight.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched dougan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeanSlave View Post
    ...In any case, you're confusing burst damage and DPS.
    Exactly.

    By your reference to bosses, it sounds like you're mostly concerned with PvE. Well PvE warriors are literally broken right now. There are several bugged abilities tied to the Beastmaster that are being addressed in the next patch. Their PvE DPS will go down.

    Secondly, Controlled Opportunity will still be applied to mobs that are immune to Transmogrify, but that's not central to your argument.
    DUGAN

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    Exactly.

    By your reference to bosses, it sounds like you're mostly concerned with PvE. Well PvE warriors are literally broken right now. There are several bugged abilities tied to the Beastmaster that are being addressed in the next patch. Their PvE DPS will go down.

    Secondly, Controlled Opportunity will still be applied to mobs that are immune to Transmogrify, but that's not central to your argument.
    Pvp or pve doesn't matter....

    Abilities that don't use a GCD add to burst and sustained dps... If they are on 5 or 10 second timers it doesn't matter...it's a pool of dmg that the mage doesn't have. And it isn't like there are only a few of them each soul has at least 2 or 3 of them.

    Even if they only fire once every third GCD that's a considerable amount

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ssinjin View Post
    Pvp or pve doesn't matter....

    Abilities that don't use a GCD add to burst and sustained dps... If they are on 5 or 10 second timers it doesn't matter...it's a pool of dmg that the mage doesn't have. And it isn't like there are only a few of them each soul has at least 2 or 3 of them.

    Even if they only fire once every third GCD that's a considerable amount
    And how do warriors get around the issue of limited power? There are more numbers at wrk here than you seem to realize. It's really not just basic math at all...

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeanSlave View Post
    And how do warriors get around the issue of limited power? There are more numbers at wrk here than you seem to realize. It's really not just basic math at all...
    Do you really want to compare the rate at which warriors use/regen power compared to mages?

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    Exactly.

    By your reference to bosses, it sounds like you're mostly concerned with PvE. Well PvE warriors are literally broken right now. There are several bugged abilities tied to the Beastmaster that are being addressed in the next patch. Their PvE DPS will go down.

    Secondly, Controlled Opportunity will still be applied to mobs that are immune to Transmogrify, but that's not central to your argument.
    ^^ This. WARRIOR IS BROKEN. I understand it's frustrating in both PvE and PvP. But Trion is working on it.

    The OP is somewhat right and wrong here though. I think mages need a few more insta cast spells in the repetoire. Having all of our best spells on long cast times somewhat limits our dps output. It's actually the same reason that MM dps sucks on rogue. All the high dps abilities are on cast timers. It slows things down. We need either a couple abilities off the GCD.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched dougan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZilla View Post
    ^^ This. WARRIOR IS BROKEN. I understand it's frustrating in both PvE and PvP. But Trion is working on it.

    The OP is somewhat right and wrong here though. I think mages need a few more insta cast spells in the repetoire. Having all of our best spells on long cast times somewhat limits our dps output. It's actually the same reason that MM dps sucks on rogue. All the high dps abilities are on cast timers. It slows things down. We need either a couple abilities off the GCD.
    But with the 1.5 second GCD, instant cast abilities won't increase our DPS by that much. As far as DPS (not burst, mind you) is concerned, an instant cast ability is the same as a 1.5 second cast ability. And I'd rather have a 1.5 second cast ability because it's affected more by Spell Power's DPS modifier. Of course, base damage of the ability comes into play as well as abilities like Heat Wave, but you get the point.
    Last edited by dougan; 03-28-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    DUGAN

  12. #12
    Telaran Phyroxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    You said "never." You will lose.


    What you meant to say was "Why mages currently do not out dps warriors."

  13. #13
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phyroxis View Post
    You said "never." You will lose.


    What you meant to say was "Why mages currently do not out dps warriors."
    Yeah, because that totally needed addressed urgently.

    As for Mage DPS in comparison to Warrior, i think it'd help if spell power coefficients were just raised; because honestly, screw PvPers. I don't care how much they get burst for by the occasional Fulminate, i just want Mages to be competitive. PvPers seem to ruin every MMO they find... i'm sorry, but it seems to be true.
    Last edited by Caitir; 03-28-2011 at 01:47 PM.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Mages never ever should out dps warriors. Mdps should always be > rdps. Otherwise why put yourself at the advanced risk?

  15. #15
    Plane Walker Kelqor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeroMaestro View Post
    Mages never ever should out dps warriors. Mdps should always be > rdps. Otherwise why put yourself at the advanced risk?
    Because mages felt that they deserve better CC, better range, better DPS, better heal than warrior.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts