+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Best Single Target DPS Build

Default The Best Single Target DPS Build

Hi guys,

What I'm trying to do here is create the best single target DPS build using the combined knowledge of the community. I've filled this in to the best of my knowledge so far but I'm sure there are some refinements to be made. Perhaps I'm completely wrong and there's another soul combination that does better single target DPS (ignoring the broken Archon build). However, as far as I'm aware - Necrolock does the best damage currently.

As a guide, I do 550 DPS on practice dummies and up to 650 DPS on 5-man bosses with all blues (and two greens). I have no PVE epics yet. Can someone with good gear please try this out for me and post their results!

The Build

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...VVxz.xxcuVzkbs

Let me explain some of my choices.
    • I've taken every DPS improving skill available.
    • I've missed out on a lot of survivability skills except Feign Death because sometimes you need an emergency aggro dump.
    • I haven't taken Opportunity because nothing I cast has a cast time over 1.5s.
    • I have taken 2 points to improve the caster pet purely for trash (there are no other DPS increases in Necro anyway. You could put those points in Symbiote instead.)

[I know some of you will be thinking Opportunity could help keep up DPS in a movement fight. I'm inclined to agree. But what would you remove to take Opportunity and would it net an overall DPS increase over just refreshing DoTs or using Draining Bolt / Neural Prod while moving?]

The Rotation

Sacrifice Life: Damage and Lich Form (Macro'd together)
    Soul Purge
    Necrosis
    Looming Demise
    Grave Rot (if Deathly Calling is below 5)
    Dark Touch
    Life Leech
    Draining Bolt (perhaps save this if there is a lot of movement in the fight)
    Void Bolt

I'll occasionally cast a Void Bolt earlier if Life Leech is running out (I figure it's less of a DPS loss than having to recast Life Leech)

The spell priority is worked out from some basic theorycrafting using only the tooltips. I didn't take spell coefficients into account. I divided the damage done by the time to cast (which is 1.5s for all but Soul Purge - which is 8 seconds).

I've tried removing one or two spells from the rotation but you really do need to use everything. It's a tricky rotation. [One thing I'm unsure of is whether Looming Demise and Grave Rot should be moved up or down the priority list. The rest are in the right place for sure.]

The Gear

[This is where things get a bit iffy for me. Please correct me if this is wrong]

You want to prioritise stats in the following order:

Focus (until capped)
    Intellect
    Wisdom
    Critical Hit Chance
    Spellpower
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Reserved just in case
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Plane Touched

its a pretty standard build as of right now, post 1.1 youll probably want empty the crypts since it wont be completely useless.

Right now most mage builds pull around the same dps in raids on single target fights.

This build and the 38lock/28 necro defile build pull roughly the same numbers. the 32 SC/30Lock/4ele build pulls about the same but will vary greatly due to fight length and amount of aoe available during the course of the fight.

The only downside to the necro builds is that you have to deal with pets, pets can die, debuffs that you place on mobs are munched by other necros, and some of the important ones aren't pooled between all mages.

EDIT: Pick up consumption, youll want the purge for certain fights.
    Last edited by Gumdrawp; 03-28-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrawp View Post
    its a pretty standard build as of right now, post 1.1 youll probably want empty the crypts since it wont be completely useless.

Right now most mage builds pull around the same dps in raids on single target fights.

This build and the 38lock/28 necro defile build pull roughly the same numbers. the 32 SC/30Lock/4ele build pulls about the same but will vary greatly due to fight length and amount of aoe available during the course of the fight.

The only downside to the necro builds is that you have to deal with pets, pets can die, debuffs that you place on mobs are munched by other necros, and some of the important ones aren't pooled between all mages.

EDIT: Pick up consumption, youll want the purge for certain fights.
    Ah ok, that's interesting to know. A Defile build may give this one a run for its money, it'll have to be tested side by side on a dummy. The SC build is great for AOE and short fights but you just end up using Sacrifice Life: Mana in long fights which really eats into your DPS. The main purpose of my build is sustained single target damage (for a raid boss or the like)

Although having Consumption would be useful, I made this build purely for DPS output. In reality you'd take Consumption plus Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life if you were pugging or in a fight where you could take a lot of damage.
    Last edited by Xiomaro; 03-28-2011 at 03:08 AM.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Well, a couple things...

Soul purge won't work without charge, so it's too early in your rotation at the start of a fight.

Also, the reserved second post made me chuckle. I really hate the edit post function on this forum.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, a couple things...

Soul purge won't work without charge, so it's too early in your rotation at the start of a fight.

Also, the reserved second post made me chuckle. I really hate the edit post function on this forum.
    I hate to answer for the OP, but I think that was more of a priority list rather than a rotation.

Perhaps its just me but I have a slightly different setup to most people.

Critical spell hits give a massive boost in damage, if you gear and spec in a certain way then 35-40% of all your spells will crit, some spells will be as high as 60% chance to crit. Each DOT tick has its own chance of critting. You have lots of DOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebu View Post
    Perhaps its just me but I have a slightly different setup to most people.

Critical spell hits give a massive boost in damage, if you gear and spec in a certain way then 35-40% of all your spells will crit, some spells will be as high as 60% chance to crit. Each DOT tick has its own chance of critting. You have lots of DOTS.
    But the bonus to critical damage varies from calling to calling and from spell to spell. For example, the elementalist lightning strike has a middle of the road critical damage level compared to cinder burst on the high end and whatever could be for the low end (the lightning bolt spell from SC comes to mind here). Dots don't seem to have any particularly high critical damage bonus even when investing the talent points for it like you can do in the Warlock tree. I have no idea why, but that tends to be the case. Oddly, channeled spells can crit for quite a doozy in some cases like raging storm or soul purge.

Why the point into Neddra's Torture? It's an extremely modest DPS increase (30 dps if you're doing 1k dps)

Also, since you don't have Neddra's Grasp in your rotation at all, why are you taking the point into it? So you can spend an extra GCD during AoE for Radiate Death?

Lastly, your stat priority is indeed off. Here's the correct stat priority for all mages:

Focus (To cap)
    Spell Power
    Int
    Wisdom
    Spell Crit

Here's the link for confirmation on that:
    http://www.riftjunkies.com/forums/sh...ds-Stat-Values

I will run some parses on the dummys again but my max spell crit outfit always appears to outdps all other setups I have tried. Focus should just remain with the bounds of what you need (T1 = 50 to 100, T2 = 100-150) as to avoid it impacting your DPS from misses.

DOTS benefit quite nicely from critting and as noted, will proc 1 in 3 ticks which adds a massive boost to your stock spells to build up charge for purge. Purge can crit massively.

You can get a +10% chance to crit from 2 abilities, which are always stock choices.

Shadowlander

im a critfan aswell and i woudnt ever want to give that up

theres nothing better then nice burst

Quote Originally Posted by Jebu View Post
    I will run some parses on the dummys again but my max spell crit outfit always appears to outdps all other setups I have tried. Focus should just remain with the bounds of what you need (T1 = 50 to 100, T2 = 100-150) as to avoid it impacting your DPS from misses.

DOTS benefit quite nicely from critting and as noted, will proc 1 in 3 ticks which adds a massive boost to your stock spells to build up charge for purge. Purge can crit massively.

You can get a +10% chance to crit from 2 abilities, which are always stock choices.
    Are these very short duration parses you're using? Anything less than (roughly) a 5 minute parse is pretty much worthless as it accounts for little to no variance, and also accounts for no down-time to regain mana through means such as SL:M.

Yeah - Mana isnt really a problem as the left hand side of my tool bar is jam packed full of abilities that quickly regen mana. It does eat slightly into the DPS as you need to take a few GC to get mana but it adds to charge which then goes into purge so its not a major loss.

So I agree that does eat into DPS slightly but thats the same for most builds and when you are in a good group mana becomes even less of an issue.

I will look into it and try get some proper numbers so its not just theory crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilzon View Post
    Are these very short duration parses you're using? Anything less than (roughly) a 5 minute parse is pretty much worthless as it accounts for little to no variance, and also accounts for no down-time to regain mana through means such as SL:M.
    All the boss fights i've encountered in T1 and T2 do not last more than 5 minutes as I have never had to refresh my party buffs as an archon. If there was any variation or mana issues you would see it before 5 minutes.

that being said, i highly doubt crit builds are out dpsing raw damage builds at this point in the game. a crit is a crit is a crit and is only 50% bigger than a normal hit whether its a dot tic critting or a DD spell critting. there is no such thing as "massive soul purge crits"

I used to play runes of magic where a crit could be up to 225% bigger than a normal hit. now THAT is when crit matters

I dont really use the crit build for massive burst damage. I get as many numbers ticking accross as many mobs as fast as possible. When more than 1 in 3 of those are giving significantly larger amounts of damage then it is the sustained DPS, in conjunction with the purge which adds up.

One on One PvP is all about burst damage but I am just passing on my experience when comparing a number of builds in PvE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast