+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed with Necro

Plane Touched

Default A little disappointed with Necro

Hello all.

First I'll say thanks for the input I received on a few questions I had regarding mages. My rogue (assassin) has been 50 for awhile and after dailies are done, I wanted something else to play. So I chose a mage--necromancer in particular.

Currently my necro is at level 17 with 6(?) points in Warlock and 0 in Dominator.

So far I have been unimpressed with the abilities of the necro, and I wonder if I'm doing it wrong, or if I just haven't leveled high enough to get it to work.

I recently got Soul Purge and it's helping, but I still have trouble killing 3+ same level mobs at once. In addition, it seems I kill single mobs so slowly.

My usual rotation:

Life Leech, Necrosis, Warlock insta dot (forget name, not ingame atm). Even after spending 3 GCDs on this, I end up having to cast 4-6 Void Bolts or a fully charged Soul Purge.

With groups, I *try* to life leech each one then tab through again and put up my next 2 dots, followed by Grave Rot. It's fairly effective, but if I end up getting a caster/archer, I have trouble.

I have already died more times by level 17 as I did from 1-50 on my Assassin. (no joke)

So I wonder if I'm missing something? I have heard/read that necros are PvE gods, but so far, I feel like I have about the same killing capacity/efficiency of a bard with about half the survivability and a quarter the utility.

Any suggestions/insights/critiques would be greatly appreciated. I plan to boost my pet as much as possible after getting feign death.

Thanks a lot.

were you previously a warrior?

Shield of Telara

Read your pets ability descriptions, because you have to have debuffs on the npcs in order for them to do good dmg. Also keep in mind that mage callings dont start getting powerfull until 30.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    were you previously a warrior?

50 Assassin.

You're doing it wrong. You will kill more slowly than a melee class, but the point of a necromancer is sustained pain, not sharp kills. Think agonizing death being leached from your body.
    You're way too low of a level at the moment to realize the full potential. heck. you don't even have your real pets yet. But when you do you start with looming demise, then essense link. Followed by grave rot(for deathly calling) then necrosis, warlock dots at the end. By this time you have gained enough charge to soul purge your target to death. This will also heal your pet for the next mob.
    Put the tank pet away, he's useless. When you get your zealot you will never need the tank as the zealot can hold single target aggro very well.
    Lose void bolt. Plague bolt adds more deathly calling and that increased pet damage. This is controversial, but you have to keep that deathly calling up for maximum pet damage.
    Bottom line is this. You must have essense link/looming demise/necrosis up on your target at all time. Your pet gets added damage bonuses when these are present on the mob. Deathly calling increases the pets skills tremendously.

After level 30 you will be a finely tuned machine, and very difficult to kill in pvp. Just wait till you see lichform.
    My Rig- 486DX2 66mhz, 8 megs ram, 3DFX voodoo graphics accelerater. 15 inch monitor from CompUSA. Microsoft 4 button joystick.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Murdertrain View Post
    My usual rotation:

Life Leech, Necrosis, Warlock insta dot (forget name, not ingame atm). Even after spending 3 GCDs on this, I end up having to cast 4-6 Void Bolts or a fully charged Soul Purge.
    Should be life leech, necrosis, grave rot, then dark touch (the lock dot). You should only need one or maybe two void bolts to increase charge and then use soul purge. Rinse and repeat for next target in group, except start with necrosis and ignore life leech. Always, always have necrosis up since the big pet damage abilities need necrosis (at least for tank and zealot pets). Make sure all enemies are in aoe of grave rot on initial pull for groups. It feels a little weird for a ranged class, but you actually want to run towards the mobs so that grave rot can hit all of them. I would suggest that you burn down first target as quickly as possible instead of tabbing to other targets. 3 enemies can be a bit tough for an early mage build, but two is much easier so get rid of that 3rd enemy as quickly as possible. Make sure to talent into magical affinity in the lock tree for added charge. At 17 I would recommend this build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwvR.xtcz0z.t
    Last edited by Polynecro; 03-27-2011 at 07:25 PM.

If you want to be able to dispose of 3 or more mobs at a time I'd highly recomend putting a few more points in lock.
    Get yourself the two AOE skills : devouring shadows and mortality.
    You can spam shadows then use mortality and be back to 100% HP.
    Last edited by Zannah; 03-27-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zannah View Post
    If you want to be able to dispose of 3 or more mobs at a time I'd highly recomend putting a few more points in lock.
    Get yourself the two AOE skills : devouring shadows and mortality.
    You can spam shadows then use mortality and be back to 100% HP.
    protip - get 2 pts in dom by the time you do codex if for no other reason that lol smacking people off ledges and bridges

Rift Disciple

You are too low in level for an assessment. Close to lvl 30 necro gets much more fun and powerful, pve anyway

Soulwalker

Ok, i need to ask something here thats been bothering me for a while. Since the dawn of time, everybody that plays mages (at least in this forums) recommends necro for pve (or at least elementalist). Apparently they have no downtime and you can deal with 3+ mobs at the same time.

I understand the no downtime part, very little mana usage and you and your pet get back to full health with soul purge. What i don't get is the 3+ pulls, just putting necrosis, demise, essence link and grave root takes 4 GCD and im only really doing dmg/debuffing one mob, if i had a couple mobs on my pet grave rot usually makes all the mobs but the one my pet is attacking to pull to me.

Seems too complicated compared to lock/chloro. I love AoE, i mean what there isn't to love? i can just pull mobs with life leach (sometimes i skip this dot completely) and just use Radiant Spores once the Devouring Shadows 3-4 times. Thats usually 5 GCD to kill 4-7 mobs at once. If i over pull or get bad Radiant Spores procs i have Mortality and/or Shadow Life and/or Neddra's Essence. Solo kills are a little slow, but why would i ever want to kill something solo when i can just pulll 5 mobs around that guy and get 5 times the exp for the same time? And to top that off, i usually end 80% health and 80% mana. Takes some smart Reconstruct and/or Sacrifice Health: Mana to top me off in 4 secs.

I probably don't have the mind set of a real necromancer, so i ask here again. Why everybody thinks necro is better at solo/grind/quest pve instead of AoE lock/chloro? The only time a switch to necro/chloro is when i need to deal with elites and i can't tank them with the other build.

Appreciate the answers

P.S: This is at level 33, but works since i had enough points for Devouring Shadows and AoE Radiant Spores
    Last edited by NdranC; 03-27-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sylivis View Post
    You're doing it wrong. You will kill more slowly than a melee class, but the point of a necromancer is sustained pain, not sharp kills. Think agonizing death being leached from your body.
    You're way too low of a level at the moment to realize the full potential. heck. you don't even have your real pets yet. But when you do you start with looming demise, then essense link. Followed by grave rot(for deathly calling) then necrosis, warlock dots at the end. By this time you have gained enough charge to soul purge your target to death. This will also heal your pet for the next mob.
    Put the tank pet away, he's useless. When you get your zealot you will never need the tank as the zealot can hold single target aggro very well.
    Lose void bolt. Plague bolt adds more deathly calling and that increased pet damage. This is controversial, but you have to keep that deathly calling up for maximum pet damage.
    Bottom line is this. You must have essense link/looming demise/necrosis up on your target at all time. Your pet gets added damage bonuses when these are present on the mob. Deathly calling increases the pets skills tremendously.

After level 30 you will be a finely tuned machine, and very difficult to kill in pvp. Just wait till you see lichform.
    Good info here thank you for this.

Soulwalker

Not sure what people are saying that the necro isn't powerful till 30. I do just fine plus they are loads of fun.

I am about 18 necro/14 warlock and the combinations of skills are great, in mid battle I can saps head from myself or my pet to refill myself up with man, heal my team mates, heal myself - Dot, remove buffs, reduce healing and fear. Plus I dare say grave rot is the single coolest thing to have in Fang WF.

-shrug- maybe just me.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FalseHope View Post
    You are too low in level for an assessment. Close to lvl 30 necro gets much more fun and powerful, pve anyway
    Except by then you respec all warlock with 13 points in chloro and pull 10 at a time. I did necro to 30 then went lock it was much much faster.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    Except by then you respec all warlock with 13 points in chloro and pull 10 at a time. I did necro to 30 then went lock it was much much faster.
    I went loc mostly out of 30 and I have no problem with aoe or keeping healed. I do use the 0 point chloro spores for my pet, but its not needed. Feign death is also money for solo.

Telaran

Life leach is not worth the points. Put points into increasing charge and the chance to reduce spell cast. I prefer the knight pet cause it's aggro is leet and can take better damage than zealot. If you are to take 3 on(not aoe) sick the pet in an make sure it makes first contact. Attack the mob that the pet is on and burn him down. I usually do necrosis, dark touch, radiant spores and spam plague bolt till either necrosis needs refresh or pet needs healing (soul purge).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast