+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling as a mage.

Soulwalker

Default Leveling as a mage.

Ok guys I've been pyro/elementalist/archon since level one, while trying things like swapping archon for dominator and such. but I wanna know. my earth elemental cant hold aggro for ******. is there a class where my pet can actually hold some aggro from me? im level 33. Show me some builds, post some talent trees, just whatever you do, don't post "soul1/soul2/soul3"

Ascendant

no, there isnt - in the first few betas the earth elemental was as good at sticking aggro as the rogue's pork - then it has been nerfed to oblivion.
    necro revenant/knight its a bit better at sticking aggro but requires a lot more management and survives a lot less.

just consider your pet some added dps and forget it as a tank (yeah you can tank a lot of things as elemental/chloro but mostly because your dps is so poor that wont take aggro).
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

pet aggro is about getting the synergy of your spells up to boost pet aggro then NOT pulling aggro. Necro locks need to put ground rot/ necrosis up to maximize pet damage and aggro, Elemen has similar abilities.

Shadowlander

I've tried every spec under the sun from 30-40.

Just go Necro. You will cry because you haven't done so earlier.

Yeah like most said, Necro/WL is always a good idea. I'm leveling my second mage now (switched servers to play with friends) and I always come back to it.
    However, I think you're losing out on the real potential if you think the classical "I need a tank"-way. Because you don't. Having your rogue bash the crap out of anything while healing you is way more effective. Only if you do really big pulls and need your pet to hold multiple mobs to give you time to apply all your dots, I'd say the tank pet is the better one. Or if you try to kill some very hard hitting folks.
    And btw, once you skilled your necro stuff, even the zealot will be a tank, since he'll always start with a crit if you apply necrosis first (followed by looming demise).

Well, if you want to nuke void bolts and skip the dotting, the zealot won't help you, maybe then you should stick with the knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Charnyr View Post
    pet aggro is about getting the synergy of your spells up to boost pet aggro then NOT pulling aggro. Necro locks need to put ground rot/ necrosis up to maximize pet damage and aggro, Elemen has similar abilities.
    Why am I reading this frequently and yet can't find any tooltip saying something like this? I'm running a ele/whatever build for group quest solo attempts (skilled quicken elements = never dying rock^^) and am quite interessted in how to improve the aggro potential of my little stone friend. If there indeed are debuffs, that help him out, I'd absolutely love to know.

Champion

Earth Ele pet won't hold aggro against your full out DPS. Pyro especially is a "blow it up quickly" spec so it's not really about using a pet. Pyro/Dominator is a much better bet, IMO.

In order to use a pet effectively you need to use a slow burn strategy, which means probably something like warlock/elemental/archon (what I use, personally) or Necro/Warlock/Archon, or similar. The idea is that the pet tanks for the first half of the kill, then you tank the second half. With Necro primary, the pet heals you anyway, so you might not want the pet to tank at all.

+ Reply to Thread