+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soloing rifts

Plane Touched

Default Soloing rifts

Hello mage community,

I'd like to ask a question about mages.

I currently play a 50 assassin and have found that I can easily push minor rifts past their initial bonus stage (usually kill xx creatures in xx minutes) but when the final rift boss comes out, I just can't do it. I'm speaking of the ~22khp mobs in high level zones.

In planning my second character, I'd like a character/build that can handle these mobs solo (if such a combo exists). I play very wonky hours and often find myself not only alone at a given rift, but alone in a zone!

So is there a spec that can pull this off?

Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I'm researching as we speak, but if there's a solid healing spec you can link easily, I'd love that as well. I plan to do a lot of instance/pvp healing.

Ascendant

ive done a few minor rift end bosses by kiting them, but i dont think those were 50 rifts(probably 45-48), and most of the time i just let it time out after stage 3 or 4 so i can get my somewhat less impressive loot without dealing with the elite npc.

it wouldnt suprise me if a necro build could solo an end rift boss, given that soul purge heals both you and the pet, but i never messed with the tree.

[edit] my bad, i use a chloromancer/warlock build with archon as the third 0-pointer for the extra instant dot, it could conceivably be dominator for a instant 0 point nuke too. the build is kinda far from optimized or anything, its just whatever i felt like picking up on the way to 50 and i didnt change it when i hit 50. (synthesis is kinda pointless solo, and i dont have the 25% intelligence boost, just 10%, and niether shadow life or +10% hp from warlock)
    Last edited by Caldern; 03-25-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Plane Touched

Yes.

I have resorted to doing just that on my assassin.

It really pains me to sit and think about what might have been if I had just one more person to help me kill that end boss, haha.

It's a shame, though. I usually finish the initial bonus stage with more than a minute to spare. So I end up twiddling my thumbs for a minute before killing the last normal mob after timer runs out.

You can clean first 4 stages by most mage dps builds, after that, change role to Elementalist for 5th stage. It's incredibly easy. Elementalist can even clean major rifts solo, but without bonus stages.
    Atrox@Shivermere, mage

Plane Touched

Any idea what sort of elemental spec would be able to do this?

Rift Disciple

so long as they r minor rifts or only 1 elite to worry about then have a dps mage spec with at least 2?3? pts in the Dom tree for insta squirrel. I just snare then spam a few high dmg instant spells then transmogrify. Repeat that 3 times for a downed single elite. If they are a ranged elite then I dont bother with them.
    I solo all of the group quests where u have to kill elites with this strat. I can kill elites 2 lvls higher than me outside of instances & colossi rift bosses.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SigNu View Post
    so long as they r minor rifts or only 1 elite to worry about then have a dps mage spec with at least 2?3? pts in the Dom tree for insta squirrel. I just snare then spam a few high dmg instant spells then transmogrify. Repeat that 3 times for a downed single elite. If they are a ranged elite then I dont bother with them.
    I solo all of the group quests where u have to kill elites with this strat. I can kill elites 2 lvls higher than me outside of instances & colossi rift bosses.
    16 points dominator for instant squirrel.

3 points for no-cooldown which is what i think you are getting at.

Telaran

Surprised nobody replied yet...

But Elementalist / Chloro or Necro / Chloro can solo Elites without any difficulty whatsoever, including Lvl50 Major rifts.

Simply go down the Ele/Necro tree up to the better tank pet, picking up any +HP and -DMG to pet talents along the way.

Then go up Chloro to grab heals and Synthesis.

Its not the fastest method, but at least you CAN solo the Lvl50 major rifts. I personally have done this for a bit after hitting lvl 50, soloing a bunch of the rifts out in western Shimmersand while most of the server wasn't Lvl50 yet :P

Simply send your tank pet at them, make sure Synthesis is on him, and spam Nature's Touch / Ruin / Vile Spores to heal him (Which will also do damage, albeit slowly). If your pet is full health and you can afford the casts, throw in some Ignites or Lightning Bolts (If Ele) or you can Soul Purge / DoT if Necro.

I personally found Ele/Chloro easier as the pet seems to hold agro far better, requires no stacking of Deathly Calling, and takes less damage through talents (Thud & some 5-pt higher tier talent, Planar Expansion or above it, can't recall name atm)

HF

Clearing the rift is easy with the Lock/Chloro AE spores and AE Damage build.

Depends on if the last Elite is CC immune or not.

If not immune I find it easiest to swap to my domlock and squirrel'n'snarenuke the mob without taking any hits.

If it's immune to CC it usually has a low enough damage output that I can chlorolock tank it with cooldowns to win in the end.

I am fairly sure that a 26(+) necro/20(ish) chloro/20(ish) lock would have an easy time soloing any one elite that normally doesn't involve more than 3 people. This would be something that takes a bit of time to get done with the tank pet out and synthesis healing.

Plane Touched

Yeah that's the problem with soloing elite last bosses in rifts. They're ALL CC immune (at least all the ones I've seen.)

So this build can not rely on CCing--if we could CC them I could solo them as a sab/bard spec on my rogue. But it doesn't work.

Telaran

Chloro + necro solos major rifts. The pet can tank 2 mobs with a bit of babysitting, and tank bosses with no problems.
    The only dangerous time is at the initial setup - you need to get Radiant spores, Necrosis and Looming demise up for aggro. Once you've fullhealed him with a Nature's touch + Ruin, it's all good from there.

Oh, and 32 pts in Necro gives you the extreme irony of using Lich form... as a healing cooldown

Advantage to using Elemental + Chloro: Tank pet actually holds aggro, plus you have FD if things go south.
    Last edited by Glandur; 03-26-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Soulwalker

tried out the necro/chloro build
    amazingly easy to solo major 50 rifts

****ed up and feign death was on cd so had to take on 2 caster and 1 melee(all elites) pet tanked melee and i tanked the casters, had no problems at all

can get to first bonus stage but just not enough time to get further

+ Reply to Thread