+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a solo leveling spec.

Default Need a solo leveling spec.

Just rolled a Mage and was looking for some spec help.

I just want a bottom line answer as to the quickest solo leveling spec. Is it Necro / Lock? Lock / Necro? Stormcaller / Elementalist?

I've seen alot of different posts.. but I need a definitive answer. If you could include a build along with rotations that would be great as well. Thanks!

Ascendant

if it has warlock in it, its probably good for leveling.

the inc nerf to radiant spores will hurt the fun of devouring shadows+aoe spores though.

and the changes to exposure from npcs should make gathering up an aoe fest a bit less lethal(i killed myself a few times running around to stack mobs or get close to a ranged npc)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mord View Post
    Just rolled a Mage and was looking for some spec help.

I just want a bottom line answer as to the quickest solo leveling spec. Is it Necro / Lock? Lock / Necro? Stormcaller / Elementalist?

I've seen alot of different posts.. but I need a definitive answer. If you could include a build along with rotations that would be great as well. Thanks!
    I'm looking for this as well. Currently, my toon (level 14) is a Necro, Warlock, Stormcaller focusing mostly on Necro for the 2nd level pet. I'm great on 1 v 1, but die really quickly against mobs. What's the best spec for crowd control?

Also, I was thinking of adding a role based on just dealing lots of damage regardless of whether I'm soloing or not. What's best Soul to focus on for that? Thanks

Soulwalker

I tried every calling except archon and dominator on my mage at 13 and found warlock/chloro/ele to be the best. Every other calling was VERY frustrating for me to play and was thinking about not even bothering until the mage updates were patched.

Things change for a lot of classes in the mid 20s so I don't know about whats best then, i've heard necro/lock is good higher up. But around 10 necro lock is very boring, very slow, and you die very easily so its just a pain.

With lock/chloro/ele (I only did 2 in chloro for withering vines and 0 in ele) you can take on 3-6 mobs and then transfer your health to mana and use your charge to fill your health and you're good to go again. I just send my pet in and then just put radiant spores, life leach, withering vines, and the other lock dot on everything in sight. I usually have to reapply life leach and withering vines a second time unless I get an opportunity proc to hit em with a void bolt.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kael T View Post
    I tried every calling except archon and dominator on my mage at 13 and found warlock/chloro/ele to be the best. Every other calling was VERY frustrating for me to play and was thinking about not even bothering until the mage updates were patched.

Things change for a lot of classes in the mid 20s so I don't know about whats best then, i've heard necro/lock is good higher up. But around 10 necro lock is very boring, very slow, and you die very easily so its just a pain.

With lock/chloro/ele (I only did 2 in chloro for withering vines and 0 in ele) you can take on 3-6 mobs and then transfer your health to mana and use your charge to fill your health and you're good to go again. I just send my pet in and then just put radiant spores, life leach, withering vines, and the other lock dot on everything in sight. I usually have to reapply life leach and withering vines a second time unless I get an opportunity proc to hit em with a void bolt.
    What are you using in ele? Pet?

if you are re-rolling to this class to be a FOTM then don't bother. we weren't buffed as much as it seems from the patch notes

and its still a long hard death filled journey to level 50

Soulwalker

Yup. I just have him hold mobs attention long enough so I can start stacking dots on mobs one at a time (which pulls them off the pet).

Pets are also nice for when you just want to run through an area. You just gun it and have your pet on defensive to take aggro off you then put it back to passive. Worst case scenario is your pet dies but it usually runs faster than mobs anyways so it lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    if you are re-rolling to this class to be a FOTM then don't bother. we weren't buffed as much as it seems from the patch notes

Definitely not rolling to be FOTM. I already have a 50 Rogue.. just wanting to try out the Mage class. I was thinking of going Warlock / Chloro.. just wondering how good it will be for soloing. I want to be able to take on single targets, and multiple targets efficiently.

I'll link you to a detailed reply I made about this in a previous thread.

the OP of that thread tried and liked my build, but it still didn't kill fast enough for them, or provide enough AOE. However the build is incredibly sturdy, and has zero downtime. See what you think.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...95#post1791295

and yes, I'm still only level 37 because my graphics card needs to be replaced...
    -sniffle-
    -sob-
    Wolfsbane: Korihargon (Archon/Necro/Dom) Ultravalefor (Paragon/Void Knight/Reaver)
    All hail the mighty ARCHON
    now with 100% more rainbows!
    on (legally enforced) break from groping foxelves

Soulwalker

Please take your forum tears somewhere else. Good mages have said since the beginning that they are fine. Mages have always been a challenging class that requires lots of player skill to excel. When I read stuff like this all I hear is 'i'm bad and want trion to make my class easy mode OP'. Learn to play your class or go play a more straightforward class like a warrior. I've seen enough videos to know that mages, when played right, can be top pve and top pvp toons.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kael T View Post
    Please take your forum tears somewhere else. Good mages have said since the beginning that they are fine. Mages have always been a challenging class that requires lots of player skill to excel. When I read stuff like this all I hear is 'i'm bad and want trion to make my class easy mode OP'. Learn to play your class or go play a more straightforward class like a warrior. I've seen enough videos to know that mages, when played right, can be top pve and top pvp toons.

wow such acid. he wasn't really overly qq'ing there i didn't think.

I play a 23chloro/31lock for solo and it's basically easy mode. 1v1 you walk away with full health (even against elites) and pulling 3-5 same lvl mobs is par for the course. At lower levels necro/lock really shines for leveling though.

Soulwalker

My guildmate turned me on to Necro/Chloro (I use Archon as my 0 point) and it is a sweet PvE setup (and also works well in PvP).

Little downtime and kills pretty quickly. It takes many mob adds to cause you concern of dying. Soul Purge + Radiant Spores + pet heal with attack spell (forget name now) = easy to stay upright.

Keep up deathly Calling with Grave Rot (AOE + DC stacks). Rotation is:

RS (can do before aggro if pet on passive), macro with Necrosis + pet blood spike/jagged wounds, Grave Rot, Ruin, then usually Soul Purge to death (while healing you and pet for little downtime) or Vile Spores then SP if you want to build a bit more charge for tough mob or multiple pulls.

+ Reply to Thread