+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Necro/ Lock dps rotation?

Default Necro/ Lock dps rotation?

Im running 33/33/0 necro/lock/archon.

I use the zealot pet, and referring to single target only can never get close to the 600-750 + dps posts Ive seen here on the forums. Even after todays BP nerf, I can still parse @ 500 dps on my 51 Archon build, but only do @ 380-400 single target dps with the necro lock. Clearly Im doing something very wrong. Could you guys give me some pointers on the rotation, etc or build where I can do better?

Thanks.

Hmm, I am only 44 and I am 400ish dps on single targets.

It is usually something like this:

Life leech
    Neddra's Grasp
    Necrosis
    Dark Touch
    Grave Rot
    filler to get more charge
    Soul purge until the dots start to wear off.

Use opportunity for life leech or nukes. Then just basically recast the dots as they expire. I didn't feel like this was a particularly hard rotation is it?

Shadowlander

necrosis - life leech - looming demise - dark touch

void bolt until charge 70~% - soul purge - renew dots - bolt to renew life leech - soul purge

always use lich form - sacrifice/life/dmg - empty the crypts - trinkets when ready

sometimes put up grave rot if situation is good

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    necrosis - life leech - looming demise - dark touch

void bolt until charge 70~% - soul purge - renew dots - bolt to renew life leech - soul purge

always use lich form - sacrifice/life/dmg - empty the crypts - trinkets when ready

sometimes put up grave rot if situation is good
    Oh yea, I forgot about looming demise, this guy has it right, I would still put neddras grasp in there though, it does decent damage and builds charge fast for soul purge.

Shadowlander

i find neddras grasp very useful in pvp, not so in pve, but yeah its a nice skill to have and if you can build it in ur spell rotation i definately would

Soulwalker

Didn't want to start a new thread since this seems to be close enough, but I'm seeing a lot of parses recently which include both Draining Bolt and Neddra's Torture in them, but all the 33 / 33 or 31 / 35 specs I see don't have them taken. So, simply put, are they worth taking and using?

Quote Originally Posted by Teura View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread since this seems to be close enough, but I'm seeing a lot of parses recently which include both Draining Bolt and Neddra's Torture in them, but all the 33 / 33 or 31 / 35 specs I see don't have them taken. So, simply put, are they worth taking and using?
    I haven't run the numbers on NT, but I don't believe it is worth a gcd. Draining Bolt is a filler used to gain charge so you can soul purge faster. I would probably use this in a short fight, or to get one last burst of damage in before the mob dies, but in a long fight I am not sure it would be worth casting over a void bolt.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrimm999 View Post
    I haven't run the numbers on NT, but I don't believe it is worth a gcd. Draining Bolt is a filler used to gain charge so you can soul purge faster. I would probably use this in a short fight, or to get one last burst of damage in before the mob dies, but in a long fight I am not sure it would be worth casting over a void bolt.
    parsing against a dummy the torture probably isnt worth it, but id assume as soon as an ally starts hitting the target with magic, it probably surpasses most other abilities right? and isnt its cooldown becoming not terrible next patch?
    Last edited by Caldern; 03-25-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Looming Demise and Necrosis should be the first 2 spells you cast before your pet actually reaches its target. Because, these 2 spells are what boosts your pets DPS the most. Using the Zealot pet, with these 2 spells cast, once my pet reaches the target and attacks, he does enough dps to hold the mob on him until about 1/2 life. Knight will hold agro until around 1/4.

My normal rotation.

Looming
    Necrosis
    NEddras Grasp/Dark touch ( i have these macro'd together)
    I might put on an essence at this point depending on the mob, elite or not
    I only cast Life Leech somewhere in here on a Opportunity proc. I dont have any talent point in Leech or ImP. Leech.
    Void Bolt
    Maybe another Void bolt depending on how pet is holding agro at this point
    Soul Purge

Telaran

I'm not sure why nobody takes or uses Neddra's Torture in their builds.

I think most of you are overlooking the portion of where it deals damage when it expires.

Sure, the damage doesn't hit until after 20s - but (from my memory, not online atm) it hits for something like 140-150 base damage after 20s. Void Bolt is something like 110-120.

It takes 1s to cast, but due to GCD of 1.5s its basically a 1.5s cast - SAME as Void Bolt.
    So you are basically trading 1 void bolt cast for a 3% spell damage increase (which will obviously not only up YOUR damage, but anybody else in your group/raid that uses spelldmg) but it WILL still deal Void-Bolt level damage after 20s.

So in reality, you trade out your Void Bolt damage, but you DONT LOSE THE DAMAGE. In fact, i think it actually hits HARDER than void bolt, due to slightly higher base damage (And maybe even higher coefficient? Will have to check when i get on)

As for Draining Bolt, i also see no reason not to get and use this, assuming you can spare the 1pt. It almost always hits for more than Void Bolt for me, by roughly 20% more damage - and its basically uses up the same 1.5s GCD. Sure, its on a cooldown, but i doubt you can find a better place to put that extra 1 point - and its not hard to manage as you can just throw it into the same macro as your Void Bolt.
    The downside is it doesn't refresh your Life Leech.... but i'm sure you can afford to void bolt sometime to keep it up.
    Last edited by KooperT; 03-25-2011 at 12:12 PM.

In pvp , I do use Draining bolt. In PvE. its a omg, I need some quick life and i can purge. Torture in PvE is only useful on boss mobs that last that long, anything else is dead before it would finish.

Soulwalker

If u are lock/necro imo u should be casting life leech first since it doesnt have a gcd. Then necrosis then the other instant dots, then void bolt to have life leech reset. Once opportunity proc hits cast ur long cast spell as instant for finisher. Necrosis should not be your first spell in rototation.

+ Reply to Thread