+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Dominator Soul almost a requirement for PVP?

Default Is Dominator Soul almost a requirement for PVP?

It seems like every role I develop I just can't shake dominator out. I generally run a lock/dom/ SC or pyro build and they work decently but even with 0 in dom the squirrel is worth alot to me. Has anyone taken Dom completely out of the picture and still feel they do good in PVP? If so let me know what you're trying. I'm just tired of feeling pigeon holed into using just a few souls on a pvp server to stand a chance in any 1v1. I'm in the 30 bracket just FYI. I don't know if it's easier without it at the 50 lvl.
    Last edited by Mardane; 03-25-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Gig

I refuse to take it out. Mage survivability is horrible. Dom increases that by a ton with Chastise, squirrel, silence, spell reflect, etc etc. Plus you can't beat the squirrel followed by a 50% increased dmg Cb that is instant.
    One of the 'Z' Bros - coined by Shakura

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mardane View Post
    It seems like every role I develop I just can't shake dominator out. I generally run a lock/dom/ SC or pyro build and they work decently but even with 0 in dom the squirrel is worth alot to me. Has anyone taken Dom completely out of the picture and still feel they do good in PVP? If so let me know what you're trying.
    I'm using lock/chloro and usually do ok in pvp. Usually middle in the healing, middle in the damage. You still get a short stun, fear and a snare as far as CC, but you have a lot more HP, healing, and 2 "oh crap" buttons for when you get FF'd. Instant squirrel is just the bomb though. Being able to interrupt healers, get that warrior off you, stop that runner instantly is just insanely useful.

I like running pyro/dom, but 99% of the time I get frustrated having no one healing (or not healing properly), and end up switching to chloro/lock just because no one else is keeping me or the team alive.

I run this Chlorolock build when I am playing a support role.

And I run this Pyro build when I am fully supported.

But I solo pvp/que for wf with at least 18 points in Dom.

My main build at 49 is Mostly Pyro with a lot of Ele and 0 Dom as my 3rd soul. I rarely squirrel people and mostly use it for Neural Prod as a run n' gun sort of spell.

When I hit 50 however I intend to try out a 51 point build with 15 AM and therefore wouldn't have dom at all. I think it's because most souls have redundant 0 point abilities while dom has a CC and spammable insta nuke as it's 0 point abilities.
    Punisher
    [The Cabal]

Quote Originally Posted by Mardane View Post
    It seems like every role I develop I just can't shake dominator out. I generally run a lock/dom/ SC or pyro build and they work decently but even with 0 in dom the squirrel is worth alot to me. Has anyone taken Dom completely out of the picture and still feel they do good in PVP? If so let me know what you're trying. I'm just tired of feeling pigeon holed into using just a few souls on a pvp server to stand a chance in any 1v1. I'm in the 30 bracket just FYI. I don't know if it's easier without it at the 50 lvl.
    I haven't used Dom at all ever since I hit 50. GOS obviates the need for tactics with a straight-up, in your face, overwhelming damage and defense combination.

I might go back to give Dom a shot again, but picking Dom instead of Pyro means opening yourself up to CC vulnerability, and given its prevalence in game at the moment, I am not sure I want to do that.

Ever since I started running with GOS, I forgot what its like to be sheeped, feared, stunned, silenced or sapped. Not eager to go back to that.

Ascendant

i have dom in my pvp build, but i dont have instant squirrel(and 2s cast is way too long, so i rarely use it)

mostly i just use deny because i hate sabs, and there arent enough mages ingame for the spell reflect to be useful, i wish i had warlock in instead, and i may respec that way.

i just like fulminate too much to leave it for 18 dom.

Soulwalker

I have been running chl/lock/AM from level 20-29 so far and usually am top 3 in damage in healing, and usually lead in kills every time. A lot of people fail with the mage because they think they can just storm into the front lines of a battle and cast 2 sec spells over and over. Biggest problem I have in Rouges Stunlocking me for ages but chloro's self heal usually lets me win that fight 1 vs 1 as well.

I used to use dom a lot for pvp, but now im running 51/15 pyro/archmage

GoS gives the 30% dmg redux plus the immunities, 15% crit and dmg redux from archmage and 5% from valor gear.

Dom is definitely a great spec for support and CC, so if you want to be support then yes it is a requirement =P

If you want to do damage, then pyro is great for it, the burst you get out of fulminate is amazing, and at rank 4, you can drop the survival points in archmage and increase your crit dmg by 30%, increased crit after you crit for 10 secs, and insta crit on a 3 or 5 min CD, cant remember.

Critting for 5.2k with the buff and fulm already destroys people, cant wait for the extra 30% crit damage
    Oogley - 50 Bahmi Chloro/Necro (PvE) Pyro/Archmage (PvP)
    Noobley 28 Bahmi Inq/Sent/Just (Lvling only thru rifts/invasion, no quests!)
    Foe's Watch
    Sunrest RP-PvP

Rift Disciple

Nec/War/Archmage for my main PvP soul and no complaints with it. I do have a dominator build, but I don't see it as a requirement for all builds. I've posted the pros/cons of my build in another thread so don't feel like listing it all here again, but I do have nice survivability at the expense of less dps than other builds.

+ Reply to Thread