+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help to pick mage class!

Soulwalker

Default help to pick mage class!

i played Rift for a while now, starting over and over again trying mage,rouge,warrior and cleric.

ive decided to play a mage but cant make my final decision about what soul classes im going to pick.
    so i hope someone here, can help me and point me in the direction. Before i get to tired of not making up my mind and stop playing.

iknow its posts like mine, but they didnt help me. so i decided to make a post to get some answers that can help me.

i played a fire mage in wow, and liked it.

i can post the things i like then, then maybe someone can help me pick the right soul.

- high dps, most single target dps.
    - crowd controll spells and a little survability
    - not one button class, want a challenge
    - a class that is good in pvp and pve

i like classes with dots, but want some high burst spells.

dont have to be most popular souls, just to give me a challenge and that can help the rest of the group out in dungeons with crowd controll spells and good dps.

its so hard to decide about all the souls.

i hope i can get some good answers, dont have to fit all my requirements .D

-

Well, hmmm pyromancer in the upper levels is fun even in PVE, but it's definitely a one button type of soul (sadly). It's very good in PVP as well with ground of strength and pyromancer armor keeping your dps up and you alive at the same time.

But if you like dots, there's always a combination of Necromancer and Warlock (you can ignore the pets if you put more points into Warlock) which gives you great sustained dps with minimal over clicking and few (if any) macros.

But there's always a Stormcaller/Dominator setup you could try out, but the stormcaller side is tricky and you have to learn how to use its slows and knock backs in tandem with Dominator's CC abilities (neither have any dots, but Stormcaller has big AOE numbers of all the souls I've seen fielded in all callings with the exception for the Reaver at this time).

Rift Disciple

As a fresh mage myself I can tell you I understand what you are saying - many souls, many combinations, what to choose to have fun with?

I'm lvl 32 now and have tried every possible combination along the way - finally I chose stormcaller because it's a very challenging and awesomely fun class to play - it's about getting as many mobs as you can and aoe-ing them with lightning attacks.

Great pairing for it are Chloro because with radiant spores you get proced healing and since you are aeo-ing, you get decent amount of procs. Another great pairing is elementalist because for only 6 points you get fast mana recovery spell, +5% to critical chance, a shield spell, armor buff and a pet that does the rounding up of mobs for you so you can conveniently cast your aoe spells.

However, this all happens as you get a bit higher in levels - for starters I would recommend you go warlock/necro as it's a easy and you don't die.

Sorry to inform you, but Pyro is just to damn hard to play on low levels, you can switch to it later on, but on early levels it's just to easy to die as pyro.

One thing I think you should realise is that in this game, at different levels different soul combinations offer unique ways to play. It's also very hard you to create a build that will be good for both pve and pvp - each of the two requires tweaking and thats why you can use up to 4 roles - make one for pve and another for pvp.

Other than that I can tell you that mages are the most difficult class to play as you need to be quite careful all the time so if you want a challenge, you picked the right class

Use necro/lock to level with. It may be the same ol tired crap most of us use, but it works and it will get you to 50 quickly. Feel free to experiment with your other 3 roles once you unlock them.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Soulwalker

thank you for answers, im no fan of pets running around. so a class with points in warlock would be the better choice for me.

time will tell, maybe ill try the stormcaller with dominator, and learn the mechanics early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravostar View Post
    Sorry to inform you, but Pyro is just to damn hard to play on low levels, you can switch to it later on, but on early levels it's just to easy to die as pyro.

Other than that I can tell you that mages are the most difficult class to play as you need to be quite careful all the time so if you want a challenge, you picked the right class
    I would have to disagree with both of those statements...

From what the OP said, hes got Pyro written all over him. Match Pyro with Arch, you get a fire damage buff, and also the 5 stack int buff.

And as you would have it Pyro is verrrrryy good in PVP, he gets stuns, lots of burts damage, and not to mention the blink ablitity they gets removes them from stuns, slows and roots.

+ Reply to Thread