+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lower GoS procs on AoE

Soulwalker

Default Lower GoS procs on AoE

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but let me say that I am a mage and I have been a mage since beta.

I have fought long and hard to get where I am now as a mage. But I found the GoS AOE stunning to a bit extreme. From what I am seeing now is that premades in warfronts are stacking a few pyro mages whose only job is to AoE key areas of maps (Codex zergs, Bridge in Ports Scion, etc). This strategy is actually really effective in pinning down groups of players.

I DO NOT want to see GoS with a diminishing return on it since it is a proc stun rather than a controlled stun, but as an AoE usage, it is a bit extreme.

Shorthand:
    Keep GoS stun the same for SINGLE TARGET.
    Reduce chance on stun from AoE.

Sword of Telara

I totally agree with this. Stun from AoE (and perhaps from DoTs as well) should be removed.

Ascendant

I agree, the only really broken thing about GoS is the ability to proc from aoe and dots.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Plane Touched

Diminishing Returns Needs Fixed on all CC - stop picking out one ability

DM doesnt work on stuns, mez, rift prison, snares, silences... etc

All of it needs to fixed.

Soulwalker

I'm only using the one ability that I use all the time and have the most experience with as an example of what I would like to see tweaked.

I'm not commenting on the other classes abilities because I know there's a bunch of tweaking going on in the 1.1 alpha.

I just would hate to see all of GoS get nerfed because of this one form of abuse.

Ascendant

that all forms of cc need to have their resist looked at its true, but in this specific case the single target proc isnt a true problem - duration is 2 sec, this means that the caster get only one "free" spell, two at max and he cant even chose when it will proc so nearly always it cant be used tactically or even wisely.
    in the aoe case everything changes, not only because of the ability of hitting multiple targets but because you can easily stack aoe effect - three pyro stacking their aoe gets the chance of a proc nearly to certainity (if three pyros focus you single target the stun will be your last problem...).
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

I would be all for making the GOS stun on single target nuke spells only (fireball, flame bolt, inferno, CB, Fulminate). Countdown should not be able to proc a stun, nor should I be able to stun someone with a damage tick from my Dark Touch or Life Leech.

Champion of Telara

GOS should not have the ability to stun at all. CC immunity and 30% damage reduction is good enough.

Agreed.

It's way too easy in Port Scion, for example, to find a handy chokepoint like the bridge, spam aoe, and stunlock 10+ enemy toons. You see a lot of this in Black Garden, too.

People just need to learn to spot GoS using mages and focus them, dispel them and to use void knights. Also learn to spread out so that AoE doesn't stunlock your whole group. Instead of calling for nerfs all the time, people need to think about what they can do to counter it because there usually are in game solutions for problems that people are just too lazy to solve.
    Punisher
    [The Cabal]

Quote Originally Posted by ltank View Post
    People just need to learn to spot GoS using mages and focus them, dispel them and to use void knights. Also learn to spread out so that AoE doesn't stunlock your whole group. Instead of calling for nerfs all the time, people need to think about what they can do to counter it because there usually are in game solutions for problems that people are just too lazy to solve.
    Sounds good in theory, but not always easy to pull off in practice. Particularly in a mongolian clusterf*ck like the bridge chokepoint in Port Scion, where you can have 20+ toons packed into a fairly small area and things get very chaotic and laggy.

What tends to happen in practice here is a no man's land forming between the two teams as both sides pile on the aoe, with the winner of the contest being determined by who has the better heals.

Champion of Telara

Instead of calling for nerfs all the time, people need to think about what they can do to counter it because there usually are in game solutions for problems that people are just too lazy to solve.
    Get over yourself.

Alternatively, please transition from this "soft QQ" method and switch to full on "DON'T NERF MAH GOS QQQQQQQQQ" mode, please.

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    Get over yourself.

Alternatively, please transition from this "soft QQ" method and switch to full on "DON'T NERF MAH GOS QQQQQQQQQ" mode, please.
    I couldn't help but snicker at this comment, given your forum name.

The person you quoted suggested people counter it with the available powers they have. I agree. Too many people want to be able to make 1 spec that counters everything and run around spamming macros.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    Get over yourself.

Get over myself? Ok, whatever that means.

I have never used GoS myself. I hit 50 in half a level and will only have 40 points in my Pyro tree after that so try again. Also learn to debate without using memes since it makes you look like a dolt.
    Punisher
    [The Cabal]

I'm pretty sure that statement doesn't qualify as an attempt at a "debate".

+ Reply to Thread