+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Next Patch: I Demand a Battlemage

Default Next Patch: I Demand a Battlemage

So the community seems intent on keeping hybridized classes that throw off balance and make no sense. In the spirit of this, I think it's KEY that we get a Battlemage soul. I need a mage that can wear at least chain (ideally plate), and focuses Spell Power into Attack Power. I'll sacrifice a portion of my mana pool to maintain this state. If you want to just change the archmage soul in the battlemage, that's fine, I won't miss it.

Why? Well, unless this patch really does fix our survivability, then we'll continue to be the most killed class. One, because we're weak on armor, have low hitpoints, and have no melee. And two, because everyone knows this, we're the first target of every other class. Normally, when you're the most killed, you get to net the most kills, but we don't get this title either. We just get mediocre dps, debatable quality healing, and crowd control that results in nothing more than being an annoyance. Clerics gets similar dps with much better healing and chain. Rogues get much more useful crowd control (unbreakable stuns, silences, snares). And warriors get.....everything. So why not?

Ok, so I know this is a QQ post. I'm mostly kidding. I just wanted to whine in retaliation to all the same happening about the hit to tank mages. For real though, it would be neat to have a battlemage soul.
    Maybe at expansion time? Here's to hoping.
    Last edited by necrus; 03-25-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Shadowlander

even if you're joking, that's the dumbest thing i have heard in a very long time. GG no RE

I understand the idea behind it, having played a melee mage in another "mmo" (pic), but not sure if it would fit in Rift.
    As all mage souls atm are ranged based, and giving the defense a battle mage would need to those who stay ranged would be making them op, or forced to be a battle mage.

In my opinion, a cleric class could resemble a battle mage more than an actual mage class would be able to.

Melee mage? Yes, we want it and I hope we will get it after year or 2.
    Chain? Plate? No way: only cloth.
    Atrox@Shivermere, mage

I could see having a melee mage in the game, but you wouldn't wear chain, you would just have armor buffs. Definately could work, but you would have to have a sword/book sword/shield of course, and you would have to make it so you need to take 36+ points in the tree to make it worth it, so you can spec a few points into it and become a beast in melee.
    Shut your pie hole!!!

Plane Touched

Go for it!

Buff up with Stone Armor and auto-attack your way to the finish line, little dreamer!

Dont let them stop you!

you mean something like a riftblade warrior with a mana bar??

Quote Originally Posted by necrus View Post
    I need a mage that can wear at least chain (ideally plate), and focuses Spell Power into Attack Power. I
    They're already in the game and their called Inquistors. My cleric feels morel like a mage when compared to all the mage souls that I played.

I direct you to the link in my sig.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee View Post
    I could see having a melee mage in the game, but you wouldn't wear chain, you would just have armor buffs. Definately could work, but you would have to have a sword/book sword/shield of course, and you would have to make it so you need to take 36+ points in the tree to make it worth it, so you can spec a few points into it and become a beast in melee.
    No! We could enhance our staves with elemental attributes and those could be our melee weapons.

A mix of instant spells which might apply debuffs and buffs could bring our melee damage and strikes up enough to be deadly. I'd like to see something based on keeping spells up, both buffs and debuffs with our strikes as the actual damage. Having teleports and/or invisibility would be neat as well.

Perhaps we could have to ramp-up our damage, which might counter for our increased survivability or evasion needed to be in melee range.

Casted spells might have a -haste penalty, or perhaps, those are where the instants come from, take tier 1-3 (or up to 18 root abilities) and allow them to be instant spells but with a cooldown based on spell coefficient?

I dunno!

I have to say, not having a battlemage soul is the thing I dislike most about RIFT. (of the things that aren't getting taken care of shortly, anyway)

Cloth with sword and book that got abit of armor buffs & absorb shields.

I would say, it would follow a similar pattern as the riftstalker.

Please consider the following.

A battlemage of the mage calling would focus on being a defensive soul type where it gains the benefit of a passive bonus to all elemental resistances from a base mage armor spell (with 2% as base and up to 10% if talented for it). Also, charge based abilities can be talented which also for toggled physical armor buff for encounters with melee opponents as well as raid wide critical physical and spell buffs that can be toggled. Their base attacks would be PBAOE and frontal cone which introduce some secondary effects similar to the stormcaller (debuffs against elemental damage, slows, and possibly random 1-5% chances for stuns when talented for it). All this comes with the key price that the majority of the attacks/spells are PBAOE as stated earlier and that the best armor spells are charge toggles, thus this class both in PVE and PVP would be positional, so a player has to focus on when to fight and when to run their arse off. But in any case, it would be something akin to how many imagined the Herald of Xotli to be (but never was/will be).

Soulwalker

If something like this WERE implemented, they would be stuck with cloth, but probably have a deep 44 point ability that gives an amazing spell "Armor" buff, so that other classes can't just pick it up casually, and you need to go deep for it.

The reason they need to be in cloth, is because each class has its own armor type. Warrior-Plate, Mage-Cloth, Cleric-Chain, Rogue-Leather. I think warriors would be pretty pissed off when you started seeing Int,Wis,and SP on an epic plate chest.

You can already build this.

Elementalist is sort of a tank mage. Take the mitigation talents and shield and then new pyro shields as well.

Melee is simply nothing more than instant attacks. Mages can get several instants and they get the added bonus of having range. Take one with no cool down and spam it.

Plane Touched

Couple things regarding armor and mages. There are 2 good reasons why we need to stick to cloth:

1.) Itemization. Devs would have to spend countless hours designing plate for mages, and add them into live quests and loot tables. Lot of work when it can be remedied with a spell that increases base armor instead.

2.) Lore and logic. Going back to D&D days, the reason only holy magic could be cast when wearing plate was that arcane would seriously harm the wearer (burns, frostbite, shock, that sorta things on the caster).

No I think the solution is simply an array of buffs that enhance the defensive and offensive prowess of the mage. I personally think it would be cool to summon a weapon or enchant one with extra effects like increased damage or elemental damage on hit. EQ2 came close to a battlemage concept with their enchanters, allowing them to take an AA tree that gave them a temporary pet weapon, double attack and AoE auto attacks. It is pretty easy to add new souls to what currently exists, so it should not be a problem to keep the soul count even by giving everyone a little something new in their expansion. Thousands can hope

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast