+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The alpha buff isn't much of one so far

Default The alpha buff isn't much of one so far

So I have been doing the same spec and rotation as live on Alpha... Except on Alpha I have a lot more spell damage and crit (I think around 50 spell damage and 70 crit more than live).

The difference is around 70 dps INCLUDING the increased stats.

This is with 35 Lock 31 Necro with no cooldowns.

The buff is so minor that you will almost not notice it. It's there, but its extremely disappointing unless they have adjusted *other* classes accordingly. Combined with the healing nerf, I am not impressed.

I am feeling like its the end of the road for me unless other classes have been adjusted that much.

I have not tried the best PVE DPS specs for Pyro or anything else yet.

Soulwalker

I think the mage buff was intended to be considered in tandem wit the warrior/rogue nerfs.

"If you rate your position in a game based on your own damage/healing numbers, then you will be disappointed; but if you rate yourself based on your performance in comparison to the other classes, you should be satisfied" is the general spirit behind this patch, in regards to mages.

We have to wait for the numbers from warriors and rogues before we can decide I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TranquilSoul View Post
    I think the mage buff was intended to be considered in tandem wit the warrior/rogue nerfs.

"If you rate your position in a game based on your own damage/healing numbers, then you will be disappointed; but if you rate yourself based on your performance in comparison to the other classes, you should be satisfied" is the general spirit behind this patch, in regards to mages.

We have to wait for the numbers from warriors and rogues before we can decide I think.
    II do totally agree with everything you are saying! I just really hope they got it right!

I tried to ask around a bit in alpha, but you never know if you are talking to someone that is a zero talent macro spammer, or someone who pushes their class to the limit.

Rift Chaser

70 spell power?...or 70 spell dmg?...70 spell power is what...like 14 dps...

70 crit is like 3% crit...

and the 70 dps increase to what?...400 dps?...700 dps?

Rift Disciple

When you are leveling or a fresh 50, that extra 70 dps would help out a lot.
    Scaling will probably be looked at sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

Rift Disciple

Ugh, I had a feeling I'd be underwhelmed by this 'boost', changing the base damage is only a minor part of what's needed - it's the coefficients and cast times that need to be re-examined. A 70dps increase on our best single-target dps spec isn't going to address the dps class balance, even combined with the nerfs to some class souls. That said I guess with a necro/lock build you're relying on the pet for a lot of the DPS so would be good to see a pyro/lock comparison...
    Last edited by Fooba; 03-25-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Rift Master

i'm beginning to think some mages will never be satisfied

- how many trees were affected with these changes
    - how many base items did they change including increasing cloth armor flatly

what is it going to take to please some of you - for someone to target you and they die instantly for even thinking about it

let it be done, call it mage rage

Mage Rage
    Deletes any character that targets you.

That will be a single soul BTW incapable of being nerfed or scrutinized as unworthy.
    You win, now what.

Seriously, what is the new complaint.
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-25-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Shadowlander

Warriors attempting to be witty, it makes me lol
    Last edited by killername; 03-25-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by killername View Post
    not a warrior here - for goodness sakes guys, leave the mage forum - go out into general -- read the patch notes thread - do something other than sit here and mope - everyone around you is saying mages got buffed and here it is doom and gloom - oh woe is me - eyore your tail is falling off again

do i really have to visit general to see someone appreciating the things we did get
    is this forum going to always be a river of tears no matter what they do

what more could they have done this time within reason - i mean they nearly touched every soul we had that ppl talk about - we had posts talking about neddras, they changed that - posts talking about the armor buffs not stacking - that was changed

there will come a limit to the whining - there has to because it's not even sensical to have plenty of mages say things aren't spectacular but just challenging enough and others always saying boohoo

stop being a boohoo and make it WORK

Shadowlander

i cant realy compare DPS becouse i have T1/2 on Live and Blue/T1 on Alpha.

Base Damage for Chloromacer was increased by 20%
    Pyromancer only form 174 to 181 Fireball

Stormcaller is still way bihind in singel target dps.
    Defens is much better now. Not as good as the Warlock but still extrem good.

Specialy in Raids where other classes have a win from Archon with itīs reduced cast time.
    Stormcaller is left out. Comined with Elementals Tempest he has a high dps cast but with 10 sec CD waths makes it not spamable for dps.

Pyromancer new mechanik is looking nice.
    But Still the fireball dot and the 32 point ability should be changed to work together.

Necro Warlock has a small buff this is ok

Archon also fitīs but still has the problems with not stacking auraīs

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    Mage Rage
    Deletes any character that targets you.

That will be a single soul BTW incapable of being nerfed or scrutinized as unworthy.
    You win, now what.

Seriously, what is the new complaint.
    OMG the cd is too long, how can I compete if someone can get a shot off on me??!!!1!1!!111

seriously though I love the way mage is atm. Only people complaining here are those that look at dps parse after every pull. Mage itself feels like it only needs a small buff, if it also comes with certain other classes getting appropriate nerfs.

Also a lot of people only look at it as pure DPS. Mage does dps + hps. Look at dps + hps and mage are good. Even just healing yourself, that does help the healer out a lot.

Anyway this is a game, play to have fun.

Lastly for every "fix" the devs change to make everything more "in line" with what others do the more the game becomes the homogenised class, boring gameplay sort of game so many people are already complaining about. If PvP is balanced and PvE is fun then that is awesome, its a good game.

The dmg buff not being too noticeable is comforting, mages are already over the top and need no buffs to dmg. If anything we need survivability, but even then its questionable. Theres alot of mages out there that complain about this or that because they are terrible and cannot adapt. If this is a big buff to the mage then you can count on us being nerfed into the ground in the near future cause we will be leaps and bounds better than everything else.

Pyro is actually getting buffs too, terrible.

Mages don't need buffs they need nerfs and people need to learn to play.
    Kazekage - Mage - Guardian
    Lucyjuice - Cleric - Guardian
    Blacklisted
    The English language is not a raid boss, it drops no loot when you kill it.

Ascendant

base damage buffs only make us a bit more overpowered in lower levels where our damage was already pretty damn good...wasnt scaling the major issue?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by killername View Post
    I'm a mage straight from before retail and I agree with him, the mage did NOT need huge sweeping changes. Other classes needed nerfs and mages needed tweaks and thats exactly what happened this patch. I for one am happy, but I'm wondering how longer before they nerf GoS cause it needs one lol.

Trion did warn us that they thought we were "fine" at end game, and all we needed was a bit of survivability and lower level damage increases. They also warned us that any major change woulnd't be sweeping.

I think we may all have gotten excited over alot of nothing.

As for people saying mages are fine, l2p...*yawn* People smarter than you are posting actual proof that we're not. Troll somewhere else.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast