+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burning Purpose Fix

Default Burning Purpose Fix

First off, let me state that I am in full support for fixing Burning Purpose. I was wishing for the pre-buffing aspect to stick around, but I'm not going to complain. However, I am a bit concerned with the other fix being applied, being the 1.5 second ICD on the damaging proc from Burning Purpose.

After I had my fair share of fun with the current mechanics of it, I started working with builds using 51 pt archon for a legit rotation and had really good results pairing it with stormcaller!. Not just for building storm (though it was nice). But mostly for the sake of having a 1.3 second cast spell that hit for 600-700 and proc's Burning Purpose! And yes... I'm speaking of forked lightning, meaning you have a spell capable of dishing out about 1200-1300.

So I suppose my question to the community is, is everyone satisfied with this fix? If the ICD was set at 1 second and not 1.5 or even once per cast I think it would keep 51 Archon open to several more interesting build options. (Also something to keep in mind is that the only reason my cast is 1.3 seconds is because of spell cast reduction buffs, so it just seems silly to set this at 1.5 seconds)
    - Jokes - 50 Kelari Mage - Lotham PVP US -

"Professionally mageing since 2k4"

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Erase View Post
    First off, let me state that I am in full support for fixing Burning Purpose. I was wishing for the pre-buffing aspect to stick around, but I'm not going to complain. However, I am a bit concerned with the other fix being applied, being the 1.5 second ICD on the damaging proc from Burning Purpose.

After I had my fair share of fun with the current mechanics of it, I started working with builds using 51 pt archon for a legit rotation and had really good results pairing it with stormcaller!. Not just for building storm (though it was nice). But mostly for the sake of having a 1.3 second cast spell that hit for 600-700 and proc's Burning Purpose! And yes... I'm speaking of forked lightning, meaning you have a spell capable of dishing out about 1200-1300.

So I suppose my question to the community is, is everyone satisfied with this fix? If the ICD was set at 1 second and not 1.5 or even once per cast I think it would keep 51 Archon open to several more interesting build options. (Also something to keep in mind is that the only reason my cast is 1.3 seconds is because of spell cast reduction buffs, so it just seems silly to set this at 1.5 seconds)
    Completely agree, thats the only slight beef i have.

Ascendant

as this change should have been implemented with hotfix 10 this morning, somebody can check if the 1.5 seconds is affected by the cast time buff and become 1.3 seconds?
    I cant login for a while to check.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Rift Disciple

To me it seems this cooldown thing was just a quick and dirty way to prevent perceived abuse. It also prevents legitimate use of the ability, namely a castable spell followed by an instant spell. The instant spell (for example leeching flames) will hit instantly after the castable spell has finished casting since GCD is already up due to the casting time, but the new cooldown on BP will prevent it from firing off of if because it already fired for the other spell. And by instant spell I don't mean power drain, since the 'fix' has been designed to remove this irritating mechanic as well.

I was hoping for an elegant fix. Certainly Not this.

For example have BP trigger once per target per spell per second, and add a 10 sec cooldown to Power Drain. Legitimate users of power drain will hardly notice.

Oh well, it's not like I like the rest of the archon mechanics either. Can we say 5 minute buffs are the technology from 2005. Then again, the whole story seems to involve alot of time travel..

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    as this change should have been implemented with hotfix 10 this morning, somebody can check if the 1.5 seconds is affected by the cast time buff and become 1.3 seconds?
    I cant login for a while to check.
    You mean applied to the alpha correct? Because I was made rudely aware that my alpha client has since become corrupted about a few hours ago when I tried logging into it. I'll be redownloading it over night after I head to bed but until tomorrow I can't check. However, my money is on no. After writing my original post I actually started to think that perhaps this was something overlooked by Trion, and it was not intended so... hopefully it will be linked to the GCD and thus affected by cast speed reduction, but if not maybe they will fix it? ^________^

doesnt look like it is affexted by the 10% cast speed.

Quote Originally Posted by trutanen View Post
    To me it seems this cooldown thing was just a quick and dirty way to prevent perceived abuse. It also prevents legitimate use of the ability, namely a castable spell followed by an instant spell. The instant spell (for example leeching flames) will hit instantly after the castable spell has finished casting since GCD is already up due to the casting time, but the new cooldown on BP will prevent it from firing off of if because it already fired for the other spell. And by instant spell I don't mean power drain, since the 'fix' has been designed to remove this irritating mechanic as well.

For example have BP trigger once per target per spell per second, and add a 10 sec cooldown to Power Drain. Legitimate users of power drain will hardly notice.

Oh well, it's not like I like the rest of the archon mechanics either. Can we say 5 minute buffs are the technology from 2005. Then again, the whole story seems to involve alot of time travel..
    You bring up a good point, although leeching flames is considered a DoT and therefore does not trigger BP. However! As archon fully buffed your GCD is 1.3 seconds, so this "fix" would mean that when applying Lingering Dust, Crumbling Resistance, and Ashen Defense to a mob you would only get the damage from burning purpose one 2 out of 3. Either that or count 1 mississippi... 2 missis- *CAST*. It just gets better and better!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Erase View Post
    You bring up a good point, although leeching flames is considered a DoT and therefore does not trigger BP.
    It still prevents using things like Crumbling Resistance, Lingering Dust and Ashen Defense after castables. And as many others have said, the way they "fixed" BP was so totally off. Adding CD to Power Drain would've been a good start and followed by changing BP to proc only from archon based skills and it would be fixed right there. Wouldn't hurt real Archon even slightest, but others wouldn't want to abuse it anymore.

But on other part of the problem, the best mage dps spec so far was considered so OP that it had to be nerfed in a hotfix while it still was behind all other callings and nothing was given to us for compensation.

Rift Chaser

Thumbs down

Yes its in hotfix #10 . Just tried it... Yes it sucks.. Cannot use an instant cast debuff after a castable one and expect to get the appropriate BP hit. Plague Bolt doesnt work of course. Forked Lightning ...nope. Building storm? Nope. So basically at 51 points we are relegated to a spec with no synergy whatsoever. The only thing you might get is a little from the pyro line to reduce casting of fire spells but whats the point. Or once again go warlock for opportunity? HAHA Thats buggered too you cast pillage get an opportunity proc? Guess what no BP hit. Nice huh? Most moronic change ever.
    There was no reason to put a 1.5 second cool down on this ability. At this stage there is no reason to go 51 points in archon.

Soulwalker

This sums up my thoughts on the fix exactly. There are clearly several approaches they could have taken to prevent abuse of the mechanic in unintended ways - many of which have been discussed on these forums. It really is too bad to see them tacking on a clumsy fix. I don't terribly mind game changes that compel me to change my build or play style - I just don't like to see them starting down the path of inelegant solutions leading to further problems leading to more inelegant solutions ad infinitum.

Watch in amazement as mages get trolled by their own when the pro archon buffbot crowd sees this.

/agree with OP
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Quote Originally Posted by Morguen View Post
    Yes its in hotfix #10 . Just tried it... Yes it sucks.. Cannot use an instant cast debuff after a castable one and expect to get the appropriate BP hit. Plague Bolt doesnt work of course. Forked Lightning ...nope. Building storm? Nope. So basically at 51 points we are relegated to a spec with no synergy whatsoever. The only thing you might get is a little from the pyro line to reduce casting of fire spells but whats the point. Or once again go warlock for opportunity? HAHA Thats buggered too you cast pillage get an opportunity proc? Guess what no BP hit. Nice huh? Most moronic change ever.
    There was no reason to put a 1.5 second cool down on this ability. At this stage there is no reason to go 51 points in archon.
    I switched over to 4 points in Pyro/11 Elementalist

Biggest thing for me losing out on an AOE like I had with Graverot.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

Champion

Guess its nice to see a "bug" fixed...however lets be honest with ourself...archons didnt need a reduction in DPS.

So im assuming everyone will be switching to archon/stormcaller then?

Also assuming they forgot about powerdrains exploit? Or was their intention to nerf archons DPS not fix the buggy soul that it is?
    Last edited by Crunchyblack; 03-25-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchyblack View Post
    Guess its nice to see a "bug" fixed...however lets be honest with ourself...archons didnt need a reduction in DPS.

So im assuming everyone will be switching to archon/stormcaller then?

Also assuming they forgot about powerdrains exploit? Or was their intention to nerf archons DPS not fix the buggy soul that it is?
    the powerdrain exploit was completely fixed by the fact that NO MATTER WHAT burning purpose will NOT hit more than once per 1.5 seconds

Who cares?

'Archon didn't need a nerf in DPS' - they're a support soul. They didn't even really need a buff to begin with, but I'll gladly take it. Hell, the patch greatly extended the range on SF/VB/EB, so it's pretty much a win situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast