+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Well the days of being one of the few mages will soon be gone

Default Well the days of being one of the few mages will soon be gone

Now that they're fixing just outright broken abilities of other classes that made them OP and raising mages base dmg, I'm betting there'll be a mass influx of flavor of the monthers to mage role claiming they were 'nerfed' instead of fixed.

Think it's good or bad?
    Last edited by Shhhh; 03-24-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Champion

i dunno about you guys, but im gonna get my cloth drops while i can, and more plaques now too since your gonna need more of those too.

mage is still gonna be a challenging calling to play well, so the bad players that flock to faceroll classes will still be bad.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldy View Post
    i dunno about you guys, but im gonna get my cloth drops while i can, and more plaques now too since your gonna need more of those too.

mage is still gonna be a challenging calling to play well, so the bad players that flock to faceroll classes will still be bad.
    Warriors were not nerfed that bad, and do you really think rogues will have the patience to lvl to 50 as a mage... You need things like keybinds.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    Now that they're fixing just outright broken abilities of other classes that made them OP and raising mages base dmg, I'm betting there'll be a mass influx of flavor of the monthers to mage role claiming they were 'nerfed' instead of fixed.

Think it's good or bad?
    I think you're assuming there's a small group of fickle FotM people out there, they are everywhere. If SC gets a big pve dps boost tons of mages will flock to it, if elementalist pets start to do wtfpwn dmg and taunt better than players tons of mages will flock to it.

Look at the mage class to begin with, Trion never said we'd have the best burst, that we'd have the best pve dps, that we'd have god modes, but if you read these forums, especially after the game went into head start, mages expected all that. In other words right when the game started mage was full of FotM players expecting to be OP. Fast forward a few weeks after that and posts pop up on our forums how people are quitting mage and going to warrior etc.

Nobody wants to lose, so a majority of players in this game are probably FotM. IMO it is Trion's job to make the various souls desirable, not just with mage but across the board. Most mages I know are necrolock, chloro, or pyro kind of a limited group considering how many souls mages have. With all the classes, the less played souls need to be more enticing so people flock less to FotM and more to what looks appealing to them, which they will if those appealing souls aren't gimped(for example some people are drawn to elementalist but I never see any good threads about them here).

I know Trion has a lot of hard work ahead of them but really if players can look at a list of 6 souls and pick the 'fun' ones because even the 'fun' ones are balanced, FotM will still exist but it won't be such a big deal. My 2 cents.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by deathfly7 View Post
    Warriors were not nerfed that bad, and do you really think rogues will have the patience to lvl to 50 as a mage... You need things like keybinds.
    I really don't see how leveling a mage to 50 and leveling a ranger to 50 are all that different. There are tons of mages that just want to sit and play turret using 2-3 buttons. I personally have more respect for those players who have movement control and still fire off their abilities on demand. For example "oh QQ I can't cast spells at that warrior because he bounces around me when I cast wah" if those mages had the same skills they'd be able to fire off instant roots, transmogs, KBs etc have fewer melees in their face and QQ less.

P.S.
    Yes I know chloro is missing those CCs but you're ****ing healers you can't have everything.

Rift Disciple

Im looking at the notes and dont see that big of a change for us to predict such a migration. You basing it on "base damage increase?" Until we see it in action we dont know exactly what it means. Plus .1dps? Who knows...

Rift Chaser

I dunno. Mage has a pretty steep learning curve. Yes there will be FotM players looking for the Cookie Cutter "I WIN" spec. But seriously only masochists pick up Stormcaller and stick with it. Of which I'm one

Raising base damage and buffing SC for example won't change the fact it's still a very delayed burst AoE soul. During that time they have to find a way to stay alive. And I still don't see much of an increase in SC's single target options (who wants to just hit Raging Storm + Cloudburst all night long?). Which is fine by me since that's what my other souls are for.

But I am creating a pyro / lock alt right now. Not to replace my sc / dom / chloro. But to farm the cloth mats before there's a billion baby pyros making Smokey the Bear QQ over Silverwood's decimation

I'm suspecting there will be more pyromancers until they all get bored being a turret in pve and pvp.

Plane Touched

You can say L2P all you want, but I'm gonna tell you right now in the low levels my rogue is currently better than my mage, and thus more fun. Not even talkin about pvp, that I do need to learn. As a mage it shouldn't take longer to "burn" down a mob than a ranger. It should be the same speed if not faster. I've played a wizard main in both EQ1 and Eq2, and any MMO I try, I go for a caster. I'm not expecting nor wishing for a god mode, I just want to be competitive in the DPS area. It has been my experience that most melee DPS can pretty much sit around auto attacking, maybe use an ability here and there and do better damage than a mage who has to constantly chain spells with longer cast times. Not that I haven't noticed that rift hardly utilizes auto attacks.

It has also been said in other threads that they didn't need to increase every soul's damage, and in this sense I agree. They could have left pyro alone, thus allowing more freedom in soul selection. As it stands now with all souls' damage being increased, pyro is still going to be the preferred soul. Modifications to utility and damage to other souls would be a wiser choice, allowing more variety and still accomplishing the same goal via various styles.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Frailboy View Post
    I really don't see how leveling a mage to 50 and leveling a ranger to 50 are all that different. There are tons of mages that just want to sit and play turret using 2-3 buttons. I personally have more respect for those players who have movement control and still fire off their abilities on demand. For example "oh QQ I can't cast spells at that warrior because he bounces around me when I cast wah" if those mages had the same skills they'd be able to fire off instant roots, transmogs, KBs etc have fewer melees in their face and QQ less.

P.S.
    Yes I know chloro is missing those CCs but you're ****ing healers you can't have everything.
    When it comes to the leveling experience, leveling a mage is very, very different from leveling a rogue, and in my opinion a lot more frustrating. I've got a mage at 50, and a rogue now pushing 30. The rogue has more damage, much higher survivability, more distinct trees, and is simply a lot more fun to play in those stages.

I don't think many mages want to "sit and play turret" (it's 6-7 buttons + defensives for most deep pyros btw), it's just seen as the only viable choice for warfronts by many. Most warfronts shove far too many players in far too small spaces for control/kiting builds to really shine. You're gonna be taking damage no matter what (you can only kite 1, 2 for a short while, and marksmen DEMOLISH mages outside GOS - the rest are gonna charge and 2-shot you in those builds), so you might as well go for the one build that has good damage mitigation, cc immunity and a slight ability to ACTUALLY KILL SOMETHING through semi-reliable burst.

In open-world PvP, it's a bit different. Dominator builds are quite fun to play in smaller fights (think 5 on each side or less), particularly with some space to play around with. Similar for warlock/chloro builds.

By the way.. how is running back and forth THROUGH the mage like a mosquito on speed any sort of indicator for skill? You sound like you think mages can have instant roots, transmogs and snares without a major investment in domi (19 pt for transmog that doesn't go poof when someone farts), pyro/stormcaller for instant roots (21 points pyro for a root that doesn't break instantly/20 points stormcaller), or pyro again for instant aoe snare at 38. Other such effects all have considerable cast times, during which you're likely to get silenced, stunned, killed or several of the above.

Two people in my guild already rerolled mages tonight.

I am having fun on my mage and I plan to keep having that, buffed or not.

Telaran

Cool

honestly i don't really care lol! Like alot of folks say, next month or two it will be the rogue's turn or the cleric's. Then the fickle fotm crowd will flock to whichever one it is. To the ones of us that stuck it out and didnt roll warrior-faceroll-roflstomp, I salute you... To the fotm guests, please dont rearrange the furniture

Champion

Think it's good or bad?
    these days never existed on laethys

one day i did a who on all the 50's on. there were more 50 mages than warriors. this was just three days ago

and i stupidly rolled mage because it was going to be rare...

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fail View Post
    When it comes to the leveling experience, leveling a mage is very, very different from leveling a rogue, and in my opinion a lot more frustrating...

I don't think many mages want to "sit and play turret" (it's 6-7 buttons + defensives for most deep pyros btw), it's just seen as the only viable choice for warfronts by many...

By the way.. how is running back and forth THROUGH the mage like a mosquito on speed any sort of indicator for skill? You sound like you think mages can have instant roots, transmogs and snares without a major investment in domi (19 pt for transmog that doesn't go poof when someone farts), pyro/stormcaller for instant roots (21 points pyro for a root that doesn't break instantly/20 points stormcaller), or pyro again for instant aoe snare at 38. Other such effects all have considerable cast times, during which you're likely to get silenced, stunned, killed or several of the above.
    Gonna disagree with you on many points here.

1. There are a ton of necro/locks in this game. Many of the people in this forum that complain about mage issues really just mean necro/lock issues, because it's pretty much all they know. But why not? Pet, life steal, cc, aoe, instant dots, mana regen, and... feign death. No, leveling a rogue is more frustrating because most can't fight small groups of mobs or elites with no problems(and that is pve leveling not random pvp fights while you're out getting exp, that is a different issue, not everyone is on a pvp server.)

2. When was the last time you did a dungeon and the mage in your group was running around casting stuff and using LoS on targets? I hope never. Yes some boss fights require some movement, but -on the whole- in pve most mages spend most of their time sitting and turreting regardless of spec. Anyone who has played mages in other mmo's knows right from the beginning you're likely going to stand in one spot and just cast spells over and over. Now strafing, jumping, and using abilities at the same time, that does take more skill, ask anyone who is decent at an FPS game(yes I play mage this stuff all applies to me too.)

3. Mages can have a fair number of CCs if they spec for them. If you don't spec for them then obviously you don't consider them that important, so no point complaining you lack them. But taking say pyro/dom for example you have instant transmog(works twice range 30), instant root that doesn't break on damage(range 30), instant knockback(range 30), instant 5 second stun(range 30), instant aoe snare(from either spec, range 25), a 3 sec stun plus damage plus snare(range 30 1.5 sec cast) etc. Find me another class/soul combination that has that degree of cc at that range, almost all instant cast.

Mages have a lot of concerns, like a poster above I am SC main so I feel some of the problems as well. Still mage class rare? mage class hard to play? we'd like to think that but it's actually the most basic choice probably. Try to look at it objectively, you offer someone a gun or a sword, most will take gun. You offer someone stealth or a hand grenade, most(since they have a gun) will take the hand grenade. You offer them damage or healing, most mmo's are full of dps'rs. You offer them a cushy job in back or make them stand up front, get hit, and chase loose mobs, most will take the job standing in back. You make them keep track of combo points on specific targets or just let them fire off abilities whenever they want, most want on demand. You offer them the ability to just smack something over and over or the ability to grief people with polymorph, roots, aoe snares, most will grin and take the griefing abilities. When you look at everything all added up, playing a mediocre mage is pretty much a no brainer for many players.

Rift Disciple

Think it's good or bad?
    I wouldn't put much stock in the base damage increase, unless it is only for high level mages, because on alpha i didn't notice any difference in starting level mage damage, none. Tooltips say same damage as the current Soul Builder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast