+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dominator suggestions

Default Dominator suggestions

if i was to switch to dom main what would be ok as other souls please anyone..much appreciated
    oh, was wondering for PvE..so i can get a feel for dom then maybe PvP..thanks
    Last edited by joenixrisen; 03-24-2011 at 03:23 PM.

bump c'mon people pls :P

Rift Disciple

Dominator and Stormcaller work well together.
    Eastern Standard Time (Australia)
    is 15 hours ahead of
    Eastern Standard Time (North America)
    which is 5 hours behind
    Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
    which is the same as
    Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Witch View Post
    Dominator and Stormcaller work well together.

ok thank you.

Shadowlander

Fair Warning: Dominator is primarily a PvP soul and performance in PvE no way reflects its viability in PvP.

Rift Disciple

Dom in PvE is painful. It will take you 20 seconds to kill something.

I run a 44/18/4 Dom/Chloro/Archmage build for the extra endurance and clutch heals.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Rikkard View Post
    Dom in PvE is painful. It will take you 20 seconds to kill something.

I run a 44/18/4 Dom/Chloro/Archmage build for the extra endurance and clutch heals.
    I bet you are near impossible to kill in 1v1.

Rift Disciple

Dominator(max)/Stormcaller(left over points)/Chloromancer(equip)

The chloro gives you radiant spores..good for everything until you want to build your PvP soul.

dunno what the warning stuff is about they kick *** in pve.
    Last edited by xtriadx; 03-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.

For high point dominator i think the best pairing atm is stormcaller by a good margin bc it balances out dom cc with anti melee options and adds dps and air dmg buffs...
    necro might work although i havent' really seen it in action really so idk.
    As a lower point dom build getting the transmorgify upgrade, aoe silence, mana wrench, having pyro in main is also a good build

My opinions on dom's viability are sorta:
    great in group pvp (there really isn't a lot of defense to cc/drains), kinda meh when fighting single targets though, mainly rogue and warrior weaknesses and good against cleric and caster with some exceptions like bad against pyro, and good against melee based no stun no stealth rogues imo. Dom gets taken out prety hard by certain classes when they focus on them though depending on which class it is, and bc class recognition in rift pvp is very hard it makes working out nongeneralized strats that cc relies on harder.
    Dom has virtually no raid viability that isn't replaced better by rogue cc, other class debuffs, or dps imo.
    Great at solo pve on single targets- can kill single epics two lvls above very well (with or without transmorgify spam and waiting on cds of evrything). The only issue is ranged melee classes. Dom is also a slow grinder though bc it cannot take very much multiple aggro, (and if it does get like 2-3 mobs you are basically mezzing one off and fighting one at a time anyways, aside from working in storm shackle aoe)

Overall its a fun playstyle if you like cc and enjoy having to work around it as your primary advantage in pve. You will be squishy and you will have sucky dps though just to keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Inixia; 03-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Soulwalker

I leveld some as SC/dominator or chloro/domi, have never even tried the popular necro/lock build. All I can say is it worked for me. Levling as it helps build muscle memory for important keybinds. And may get you some insight that you dont have time to get in hectic pvp.

Now I'm level 46 and I run 2 builds, 1lock chloro for easy levling and Dom/lock/arch 44/11/6 thats also my pvp speck.
    No greifers arond I just go first build, sign of trouble I go Dominator. If I fight alot of caster mobs, going domi also seems smother.

Back to topic, levling as dominator is possible, but it prolly aint the fastest way to 50. But I have enjoyed it atleast.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Asyrin View Post
    I bet you are near impossible to kill in 1v1.
    Only really an opener from an assassin, supercrit detonate (if Deny was on CD), titan strike or flurry can do it.

I find that if I can tie up at least 2 people in a battle through all my CC and annoyances, I am a credit to the team.

Champion

Solo PvE versus multiple mobs isn't that bad if you pickup chloro. once you get instant bloom and life giving viel, coupled with Ele pet, you can take on something like 6 mobs. Mind you, you aren't killing them all at the same time, and it depends on exactly how high level wise they are, and what kind of class they are.

I say 6, simple because,
    Trans morgify, can take "two" off of you in combat.
    Pet takes one out of combat.
    OW takes one out of combat.
    That leaves you to fight 1 mob, When it dies, you focus on the ones your pets fighting, keeping up Transmorgify, and the OW'd mob, With Bloom and life giving, as long as you stay close to your pet, and use vile spores as your main nuke, it'll keep em up before he gets low from taking on two mobs. And since Ideally YOU should be able to take on two mobs np, and your pet should be able to 'survive' a little while vs two mobs (equal level obviously) Its entirely possible to win a fight agaisnt 6 mobs. That doesn't mean its a 100%, but it is definately possible.

Hell, with that build, I've came out of a fight against an Elite mob, + 3 adds. ;) (turning the elite into a tranny squirrel helps)

Another part about the DPS is, it helps to use Storm Shackle correctly, you can kill mobs pretty fast with it, but its definately not as fast as other classes.

Higher level you can probably swap out Ele for 8-10 points in Lock for sac life: mana (so you pretty much stop using mana wrack) but also get a free insta nuke/heal, and faster charge. Course, at that level you can get AoE OW which makes a 6v1 fight even easier, but you do have to take out 3 mobs in 30 seconds it'll be 4-5v1, and even with ow and tranny, thats 2-3v1. :P

+ Reply to Thread