+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial End Game PvE Mage Guide

Default Unofficial End Game PvE Mage Guide

In this guide I will cover stat priorities, itemization, damage parsers and the best specs and their rotation. This guide is meant for people who want to progress as a mage in end-game PvE. I will not be addressing PvP or solo PvE.

Stat Priorities Itemization:

Focus* > SP > Int > Wisdom/Crit
    *Focus is only good until you reach the cap for the content you are doing:

Tier 1 and Expert Rifts: 100 Focus
    Tier 2 and Raid Rifts: 150 Focus
    Raids (Greenscale's Blight): 200 Focus

Once you reach the cap for that content any more points in Focus is wasted. But until you reach the cap, Focus is your best stat.

When comparing items keep in mind:
    Until cap 1 Focus = 2 SP
    1 SP = 2 Int + 1crit
    1 SP = 2 Wisdom
    You usually get enough Crit from Int that it should only be compared against itself.

Damage Parsers

If you don't have one, get one.
    The Rift Junkies RiftParser is a solid light weight parser:
    http://www.riftjunkies.com/combat-parser/

If you want to get in depth use Advanced Combat Tracker:
    • Go here: http://advancedcombattracker.com/
    • Download and install.
    • Go here : http://advancedcombattracker.com/download.php
    • Scroll down to the plugins and download the Rift plugin.
    • Save the Rift.cs file somewhere you can find it.
    • Open ACT (Advanced Combat tracker).
    • Close the ACT Startup Wizard.
    • Go to the Plugins Tab in ACT.
    • Click Add Plugin and browse to your Rift.cs file you just downloaded.
    • Click the Enabled check box.
    • Go to the About tab and click Open Log.
    • Browse to CombatLog.txt in your RIFT Game folder.
    • Go to the Main tab and enjoy the amazing parser.
    If you can't find CombatLog.txt type /combatlog in game and then go hit something so Rift will generate the log.
    You will need to type /combatlog every time you restart the game to get a parser to start parsing.
    Check the ACT website for detailed information on using it(http://advancedcombattracker.com/).

Specs and Rotation:
    I have yet to find better specs then the ones below. There are always ways to optimize them for specific fights and situations, but if you start from these you will be a competitive raider.

Single target damage:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Vzk0c.eeRhoVVx
    Use the Skeletal Zealot pet.
    Life Leech > Grave Rot > Necrosis > Dark Touch > Defile > Neddra's Grasp* > Spam Void bolt > Repeat starting with Grave Rot

*Only use Neddra's Grasp if the mob uses 3 or more abilities in 15 seconds. 3 Abilities is roughly equal to one void bolt of damage so it is no loss, while 4 - 5 is obviously more damage then a void bolt.
    Use Sacrific Life: Damage early and right before a DoT refresh.
    Only use Neddra's Torture in a raid setting or when you have 3 DPS in a 5man.

If you are on a fight where the melee pet will die use the Shadow Revenent. If you are on a fight where both pets will die this spec is still very good damage but to really min/max use the following spec:

Single target no-pet damage:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...sdo.Vtcz0xoAuz
    This spec uses a priority system:

1) Mob has three stacks of electrify on it. If not use raging storm to get it up or use thunderbolt if raging storm is on cooldown.
    2) Apply ice shear.
    3) If the mob has 2 seconds or less left on electrify, cast thunderbolt to reapply.
    4) If you have nearly full charge and sufficient mana to cast for 15 seconds, use Intensify elements. After this use static flux followed by static discharge. Do not use channel elements during this if at all possible.
    5) Channel elements if the fight will last long enough that you will need to regain mana at some point before the end.
    6) Use Static flux if you have sufficient charge. This will depend on if you could intensify instead soon. I choose 50 charge as the number to use static flux on if I do not have an upcoming need for charge. Remember static flux is a toggle if you need to turn it off for some reason.
    7) Cast lightning strike.
    8) Use lightning field.

Check this thread for more info on this spec.

Healing spec:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...cczoo.xx0G0VVx
    Note: Call of Spring does not affect your Lifegiving Veil heals, only your Bloom, Flourish etc. Some people argue the points in it are wasted and should be put in the +%crit in the Elemental tree. Personally I use Bloom a lot so I keep put more points in Call of Spring.

Priority system:
    1. Keep Radiant Spores up. (They do not stack, so make the Chloro mage who didn't read this guide be the buff *****)
    2. Natures Touch.
    3. Whithering Vines
    4. If you have charge use Entropic Veil.
    5. Vile Spores

Basically you are finding things to do while Nature's Touch is on CD.
    Since the GCD is 1.5 seconds and the CD on Nature's Touch is 2.5 seconds you have a choice between casting Nature's Touch. You can cast one spell and wait a second for Nature's Touch, or you can cast 2 spells and have Nature's Touch, come .5 seconds later. It will usually come down to how low the Tank's health is.
    If you haven't already go into Settings > Interface > Combat > and check "Cast on target's target". This allows you to target the Tank and your damaging abilities will go to the Tank's target. This way you can use your heals, dispels, etc on the tank without switching targets.
    This does not work well on trash, but is fantastic on bosses.

Archen Buff Spec
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...sRfiqkrz.V.McV
    Setup the following macro:

#show Surging Flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    /cast Surging Flare
    /cast Earthen Barrage
    /cast Volcanic Bomb
    /cast Pillaging stone

Now your rotation is mind numbingly simple:
    Keep all your buffs up > Debuff the Target > Spam Macro
    Since all your group buffs actually debuff you, it is very important you debuff the target. It is also important inform your group what buffs you provide so they don't waste GCDs applying them.

Thats all folks.

Rift Master

Sorry if I am wrong, but I think its 50 focus for tier 1 and 100 focus for tier 2

Single target damage:
    Life Leech > Grave Rot > Necrosis > Dark Touch > Defile > Neddra's Grasp* > Spam Void bolt > Repeat starting with Grave Rot
    Im going to have to completely disagree here. Looming demise greatly affects your zealots damage and goes up first, followed by necrosis, so this part seems like misinformation to me.
    Last edited by Phrostt; 03-24-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Rift Master

5 min edit rule ftl:

Im going to have to completely disagree here. Looming demise greatly affects your zealots damage and goes up first, followed by necrosis, so this part seems like misinformation to me.

Rotation should be looming demise, necrosis first for sure followed by other dots and radiate death if needed and use plague bolt to stack deathly calling instead of grave rot.

Single target no-pet damage:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...sdo.Vtcz0xoAuz
    This spec uses a priority system:
    stormcaller + warlock is a lot better than stormcaller + elementalist.
    You have talents like ride the wind in your build and only 3/5 in Planar Expansion for example.
    You have stormguard for raiding?

Even this spec could be improved a lot. For 2 extra points in chloro you could get 2 incredible abilities to greatly boost your survivability if things suddenly went bad and you took some extra damage.

Rift Master

Keep in mind Radiate Death actually REFRESHES Neddra's Grasp as well as Dark Touch, and can be used on every other refreshal period.

Cast Dark Touch -> Neddra's Grasp; When either Neddra's Grasp is at 1 stack, or Dark Touch has 0 seconds on it's timer, cast Radiate Death to put them both back to max duration and max stacks in 1 GCD as opposed to the 2 it would normally take to get both up. It makes both Neddra's Grasp and Radiate Death have a slot in single target fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrostt View Post
    Even this spec could be improved a lot. For 2 extra points in chloro you could get 2 incredible abilities to greatly boost your survivability if things suddenly went bad and you took some extra damage.
    You mean 2 in Warlock, and I totally agree. My chloro raiding spec has Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life. I also took Empathic Bond - it can return insane amounts of mana if used at the right times.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

Decent guide thanks for posting.
    I was just wondering how much focus I should be aiming for.

I wouldn't say it's the be all and end all of mage guides , there's always a variety of soul builds and rotations that work better for some people than other or in certain situations.
    But it's a good guideline.

I think this is a better Necrolock, life leach sucks

http://www.riftnation.com/plugins/ri...17,3_&lang=eng
    Last edited by lol r u mad; 03-24-2011 at 02:21 PM.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Soulwalker

Shouldn't Soul Purge be in the priority system?

Neddra's Grasp* > Soul Purge > Spam Void bolt > Repeat starting with Grave Rot

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    I
    Single target damage:
    I am not sure if someone has said this yet, but I believe if you worked in Looming Demise you would gain around 35 dps. It has a 1 minute refresh so I think its worth doing.

Soul Purge is also a DPS gain as long as you do not need to refresh Life Leech and Opportunity is not up.
    Last edited by Magenta; 03-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    I am not sure if someone has said this yet, but I believe if you worked in Looming Demise you would gain around 35 dps. It has a 1 minute refresh so I think its worth doing.

Soul Purge is also a DPS gain as long as you do not need to refresh Life Leech and Opportunity is not up.
    The problem I have with LL is that it isn't worth wasting the cast time on, I'd rather void bolt spam, it's only worth it if you get an Opp proc

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Champion of Telara

tag for future reference
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Looming Demise is a good catch, thanks. I tend to cast Life Leech first because it doesn't cause much threat and I can put up some of my DoTs up before the pet reaches the mob.

Soul Purge is less DPS then spamming void bolt, and knocks off Defile when it drains your charge. It is great to have on your bar in case the healers need a hand.

Plauge Bolt just isn't as good for DPS as using Grave Rot to stack Deathly Calling. Void Bolt refreshes your Life Leech, and casts faster. Grave Rot is also instant and basically puts another DoT on the target.

Radiate Death is a small DPS increase but It kept wiping us in T2s because I would pull a random add so I dropped it from my build. Also refreshing Neddra's grasp is useless if the mobs doesn't use 3 or more abilities in the 15 seconds. It also makes the rotation slightly more difficult, not much, but a little. A perfect example of a way to optimize the spec for specific situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrostt View Post
    Sorry if I am wrong, but I think its 50 focus for tier 1 and 100 focus for tier 2
    I believe you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    I think this is a better Necrolock
    Its not. Sacrifice Life: Speed eh?

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    The problem I have with LL is that it isn't worth wasting the cast time on, I'd rather void bolt spam, it's only worth it if you get an Opp proc
    You cast it once at the beginning of the fight. Void Bolt refreshes it for you.
    Last edited by bluedot; 03-24-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Soulwalker

correct me if im wrong but the first ability the zealot uses is spike?

so isnt it better to put necrosis on first? ive only just hit 50 but if i open with necrosis the zealots opens with a spike crit every time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast