+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18 in Dominator feels mandatory for PVP

Telaran

Default 18 in Dominator feels mandatory for PVP

after playing dominator primarily in pvp, first with a full dom spec then a 18 dom rest in pyro, I don't know how anyone can play a mage in pvp optimally without 18 in Dom. Why 18? well you need 16 to get instant squirrel, and another point to keep it from breaking from damage when the target is above 70 percent ( this is important as someone almost always has a random DoT on them and this will keep him squirreled. Since you've already spent 17, I would suggest getting transference as it destroys rogues and warriors for about 6 or 7 seconds with the energy drain and regen stoppage.

There is just nothing like instant squirrel. It's not about the wind-up, it's about taking surprise away from melee's, whether its a stealthed rogue opening, or warrior bullrushing. Unless you have a super organized team that is constantly monitoring you, with others dedicated to peeling for you, anything without instant squirrel is unplayable for me.

I was thinking about the utility of instasquirrel today and have to agree. If you've got a dedicated team that can save your bacon, any spec is good. Many have lesser defenses (bubbles, kb, etc) as well as ubiquitous Detaunt. However, this is not going to be how life is for most people. Even a lot of premades are a little too chaotic, not wanting to babysit the mage, which is really what the situation boils down to.

Add in instasquirrel and you gain a powerful snap response to any inbound threat. It doesn't last forever but spying a rogue just about to unstealth or squirreling a warrior in flight gives partial dom builds a reliable and realistic escape that other builds just don't get. Friends are preferred, obviously, but the sad reality of MMOs goes the other direction entirely. Dom, indeed, feels mandatory for the majority of PvP.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Soulwalker

I'd have to disagree and say it's nice to have, but not necessary. I've tried PvP specs as Dom main, Pyro main, and now I'm a Lock/Chloro hybrid. The instant squirrel is nice for escaping, but mass fear can be as effective, or more, if there is more than one target. It is a fun build, but I don't think it's necessary.

Shield of Telara

Go higher up the tree to split personality at instant cast for 30 secs on a 2 minute cooldown, and you have some burst too, in between your range stuns and snares...accelerated decay and chastise owns melee and rangers...I can own those classes with SC as second soul.

Shield of Telara

I disagree warlock / chloro is an awesome build that doesnt need dominator.

First off youve got heals. 2 good heals, and an instant oh crap heal that almost heals you to full life.
    Next youve got the 70% dmg absorb skill thats great for protecting you from the assassins that try to kill you.
    Next you have some crowd control.
    Lastly decent dps.

Pyro: GoS
    Warlock: Fears
    Storm: Juggling
    Dom: Squirrel
    Chloro: Heal
    Ele: Bubble (strong enough to matter?)
    Necro:
    Archon:

The first four are solid (storm after 1.1) for melee response. Heals may get you by for a little while. The Ele bubble seems pretty flimsy and Necro/Archon I dunno. Archon currently has a snare+sprint but 2m means it isn't a reliable defense. They're getting the bubble in 1.1 but it'll have the same issues that the Ele bubble has. Necros get Soul Purge which is sexy but Charge based. Do the pet heals put a dent into melee dps?

At a quick glance it looks like there are some classes that require babysitting and some that are ok for the rest of the playerbase. I guess the question is, should all classes be able to function without a designated guard?

edit: In retrospect, it comes down to the reality that mages seem designed to need to have melee not beating on them. To have other players not let the melee get there. In a basic sense, I agree. Don't let assaults get to your snipers. The problem then is, how do you actually make this happen when nobody gives a crap about melee charging through lines to beat on your casters?
    Last edited by exLupo; 03-24-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Rift Disciple

I agree with the author. Also, transference is awesome. My three favorite abilities from the Dom soul are in order:
    1-Squirrel
    2-Arresting Presence
    3-Transference

My favorite thing to do to the other side top bard is this:
    1-Squirrel for 8 seconds. Then when it is done
    2-Squirrel for 4 seconds (diminishing returns). Then when it is done.
    3-Arresting Presence for the duration of my full charge (usually about 10 second. Just long enough for diminishing returns to reset). During which time he can't cadence, coda of restoration or put up motifs (Last I checked motif of restoration ignored silence for some reason. Hopefully, that's been fixed). Then when it is done.
    4-Squirrel for 8 seconds.... Starting to see a pattern?

Honestly, I don't think that bards and chloro's need to be nerfed. I just think that there needs to be more doms like us out there making their lives a living hell. I've had people yelling all kinds of obseneties at me. I don't consider myself to be doing my job unless there have been at least 2 f***'s or s***'s or what have you thrown at me in a match. Its my greatest compliment to have pissed a bard or warrior off to the point that their tunnel vision has gone to seeing me and only me.

In all honesty we Dom's are probable just behind the Pyro's in over-powered-ness, but nobody will ever nerf us because there aren't enough of us out there to make it glaringly obvious plus what we do doesn't show up in scoreboard. They don't say the number of squirrels we've infuriated, clerics we've silenced, or fulminates we've reflected.

So, ****-on fell Dom's ****-on.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by jayfer View Post
    I agree with the author. Also, transference is awesome. My three favorite abilities from the Dom soul are in order:
    1-Squirrel
    2-Arresting Presence
    3-Transference

My favorite thing to do to the other side top bard is this:
    1-Squirrel for 8 seconds. Then when it is done
    2-Squirrel for 4 seconds (diminishing returns). Then when it is done.
    3-Arresting Presence for the duration of my full charge (usually about 10 second. Just long enough for diminishing returns to reset). During which time he can't cadence, coda of restoration or put up motifs (Last I checked motif of restoration ignored silence for some reason. Hopefully, that's been fixed). Then when it is done.
    4-Squirrel for 8 seconds.... Starting to see a pattern?

Honestly, I don't think that bards and chloro's need to be nerfed. I just think that there needs to be more doms like us out there making their lives a living hell. I've had people yelling all kinds of obseneties at me. I don't consider myself to be doing my job unless there have been at least 2 f***'s or s***'s or what have you thrown at me in a match. Its my greatest compliment to have pissed a bard or warrior off to the point that their tunnel vision has gone to seeing me and only me.

In all honesty we Dom's are probable just behind the Pyro's in over-powered-ness, but nobody will ever nerf us because there aren't enough of us out there to make it glaringly obvious plus what we do doesn't show up in scoreboard. They don't say the number of squirrels we've infuriated, clerics we've silenced, or fulminates we've reflected.

So, ****-on fell Dom's ****-on.
    I'm planning on mixxing the 2 "overpowered specs, 44 Pyro/18 Dom/4 AM feels pretty solid and counters alot of specs. Can't wait to stand in GoS while mana draining. Killer

Telaran

forgot to add that 18 in Dom tree you gives you the 50 percent healing debuff. hard to live without that.

Champion

Just used my Split Personality in PvP...
    It is awesome.
    ^_^

No one targets you because they think your a...
    wait for it.
    PET! Lol
    I tear up other mages to shreds with it, even with dom/choloro with most points in it.
    top that with deathly presence (sp) the 2s nuke + 8s stun on a 30s cd, transference, storm shackle (with microburst) life giving viel/vile spores... it was epic.

I had 67 kills, (2 killing blows, suprised it wasn't higher, but I did have a couple 2s spells that canceled 1/2s before hitting the target due to them dieing) died once.
    had #1 kills in warfront (killing blows was #4 or 5.) I did about #4 in dmg and #4 in Healing. I had a blast.

Soulwalker

I like Chloro/Dom, with 38 in chloro, 10 in warlock, rest in dom. That gives you great healing, opportunity, and the dom adds a ton of utility, from healing debuffs to squirrel, mana drain, pushback nuke, instant nuke with no delay when you need quick damage now, spell reflect and silence and so on. Great in groups.

+ Reply to Thread