Closed Thread

Thread: Trion. PLEASE dont implement the autocast when they are behind you. PLEASE

Shadowlander

Default Trion. PLEASE dont implement the autocast when they are behind you. PLEASE

Ok. I have always played caster's in MMORPGs. Even dating back to mud days. AC, DAOC, WoW, and just about anything else that caught my eye.

Please do not dumb down this game to this level. Any moron with an IQ above 60 should be able to use his right mouse button to pan the camera around to follow a target. This is not exactly rocket science.

I dont even know what to say. The people who have whined about this issue are just bad players. Make them learn. This is whats wrong with our society. Pandering to flipping shortbus kiddies. ><

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tangomonky View Post
    Ok. I have always played caster's in MMORPGs. Even dating back to mud days. AC, DAOC, WoW, and just about anything else that caught my eye.

Please do not dumb down this game to this level. Any moron with an IQ above 60 should be able to use his right mouse button to pan the camera around to follow a target. This is not exactly rocket science.

I dont even know what to say. The people who have whined about this issue are just bad players. Make them learn. This is whats wrong with our society. Pandering to flipping shortbus kiddies. ><
    1) This is not dumbing down the game. It's removing a mechanic that is ridiculous because it relies on being able to run THROUGH your opponent. Personally, I think if the target is within 10 feet of you, you shouldn't even need to face him.
    2) How easy it is to keep facing the opponent is not straight forward. If they jump very close to your center.... you can't tell which direction they are.

Checking at the beginning of a cast strikes a good balance between having to face your opponent and not allowing "stupid tricks" to affect PvP.
    A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.

Soulwalker

Default eh

It's more so for when a warrior waited til you casted a full spell and last second jumped through you and it cancelled it, I understand that's a strategy but even whipping around when they jump through had it cancel sometimes. That's why

Champion of Telara

its not autocast, its "spell will finish if person is standing inside of you" fix since we lack collision detection
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Quote Originally Posted by tangomonky View Post

Nice elitist attitude.

I am da best! Everything should cater to me to show my epee prowness. You are all baddies!

Edit: oh, nice calling people morons. I think I am gonna report you. Are you even an adult? By your last sentence, you must be some sort of legislature.
    Last edited by bubulu; 03-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    there is no way a mage could out dps a cleric in this game. sad to say but its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroburrito View Post
    mage - the garbage man, taking out the trash.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Chadillacz View Post
    It's more so for when a warrior waited til you casted a full spell and last second jumped through you and it cancelled it, I understand that's a strategy but even whipping around when they jump through had it cancel sometimes. That's why
    This is exactly what I do with my warrior alt. And its nasty. You just run/jump directly at them, flip 180, do it again. It makes it nearly impossible to cast. Its even better once you get rift walk. They either need to implement this new feature or make it impossible to walk through someone...but if they made it impossible to walk through someone we know people would abuse that as well. I think they're taking the right approach.
    Last edited by trajika; 03-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Shadowlander

Having played a mage for the entirety that WoW (no collision detection) has existed, including heavy PvP, I find it hilarious that you guys need this crutch.

Seriously... and I rarely say this - L2P

The ONLY time you should be using spells with a cast time is when your target is rooted/snared/stunned or otherwise CCd or distracted by another player and you have enough time and/or distance for the cast to complete.

Otherwise, use instants. Very simple and basic concept of caster PvP. They load you up with CC for a reason.... learn to use it?

It saddens me to see them cave to low-skill players so early in the game's life... I can't imagine there will be any fun left in PvP a year from now.

I am undecided about this. I play a mage. I don't have an alt beyond lvl 17.

I agree with both sides to some extent, but I guess it doesn't really effect me that much, since I generally never cast a spell with a cast timer. If you are casting spells like that, then you should be aware that the enemy is probably going to try something like this.

I understand why you wouldn't want static collision detection, but the way that it works in Warhammer would be fine I think. If you are in combat, there is ~2 seconds of collision detection, if you are pushing against someone longer than that, you are allowed to pass through them.

I think that would solve both problems, without dummying down the game.
    Shut your pie hole!!!

Shadowlander

Since this board has stupid editing policies, I'd like to add to my reply above:

(side note: I've not played a caster in end game in Rift, yet, so if it is the case that what I posted is not feasible, please let me know why. Honestly - I don't know.)
    Last edited by TheRealXris; 03-24-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Yup it is pretty simply. This change is needed because there is no collision. Melee benefits from no collision and anyone whining over this change needs only to be reminded of how easily exploitable no collision is in any game.

Personally I like collision. I wish it in this game but one class can't exploit the hell out of it without the other having a counter.

Default I'm with Trion on this one...

Given the nature of the content of the original post, I can't help but assume that it was created simply to get a rise out of people...and stir the pot. If that is the case, then it was well played and accomplished the desired effect.

If the original sentiment was serious, then I am very happy that Trion doesn't share the same point of view. As others have pointed out, the issue has nothing at all to do with dumbing down the game and everything to do with trying to mitigate an exploitable combat mechanic. I am not a keyboard turner. I have 'A' and 'D' on my keyboard bound to strafe. I use 'Q' and 'E' as keys to bind abilities I can reactively trigger with my left hand. I have played FPS games for years. I am completely capable of keeping someone in my field of vision unless they can run straight through me.

If there were collision detection in this game, I could maybe see where the original poster was coming from in terms of underlying meaning, though the tone and execution was disappointing. If my enemy who was engaged in melee combat with me was forced to slide to the left or to the right as he tried to pass me to get around to my back, I could track his movement no problem. The act of passing "though" me puts him neither to my left or to my right...which way do I turn to keep him in my frontal arc?

Also, consider that in Trion's proposed solution, the frontal arc is checked at the "start" of the cast...meaning, there is still a fair amount of skill involved in tracking your attacker so that when you begin your cast he is in your frontal arc. Keyboard turners are still at a disadvantage against skilled melee dps characters.

So, at the end of the day, there really were only two ways Trion could go about addressing the way the "run through" is being abused...either they implement collision detection (nigh on impossible at this point...and not merely for technical reasons) or they could do exactly what they are doing. Personally, I am very happy with the direction they are taking.
    Who could ever calculate the path of a molecule?
    How do we know that the creation of worlds are not determined by falling grains of sand?
    ~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

Also, since there are already multiple topics on the upcoming changes to classes, we would ask if you wish to contribute to the conversation you do so in the appropriate topics. Below you can find the main discussion thread.
    If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

Thank you!
    Please be sure to follow the Code of Conduct at all times when using these forums.
    Please feel free to contact the Rift Community Team at community@riftgame.com if you have any questions or concerns about this message or its contents.

Closed Thread