+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Stormcaller Builds and Fun

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170

    Default Stormcaller Builds and Fun

    Hey guys,
    Just a quick question and feedback on some builds I was working on. I rolled a cleric to begin with and if you think Mage dps is bad try being a druid or any dps spec outside of heavy Inq in the cleric tree. Anyways, I switched to a mage for 2 reasons, I couldn’t stand them in warfronts, and my account was hacked and I lost everything on my druid and have yet to see anything replaced. So I moved over to my mage with whom I was slowly leveling with a friend.


    So I have been playing around with the different mage specs, and found the one I enjoy the most. I really don’t like Necro, and found Pyro to be a bit mundane. Archon is a pain in the arse while leveling, but probably the coolest soul. Anyways, I use Elemental/Warlock/Chloro for leveling, Tons of self healing and dynamite pet attacks. Elemental is way too much mana for every attack, but warlock allows for better returns on mana.


    Then I found Stormcaller, and I must say it is my absolute favorite pvp and pve spec. I am pretty pumped that they are boosting Cloudburst since the Hypothermia spam while moving is still my favorite pvp move. Only downside is that Stormcaller has no viable mana refund and after 32-35 points has no pve dungeon usage and speccing 51 points is almost pointless for pvp or pve. The 31 point talent is pretty smooth though mass channel aoe roots haha. I love it in Black garden or holding an entire group during Winterfall steppes while their fang carrier gets pummeled. I miss the instant sheep, but watching melee get ricocheted off my shield is worth the loss of shield.


    Anyways, here are my specs. The major issue with Stormcaller is mana return during combat. They have no return and neither does Elementalist which is the soul that provides the greatest synergy with the Stormcaller soul. So a Storm/Ele/Dom build is just not feasible mana wise even with the mana pet drain you lose a significant amount of dps time restocking it when you can have dps mana returns from several other trees. However - it’s the best pure dps for a short period of time fight.


    PVE Build 1 – The heavy Archon build is designed for maximum mana return while providing sweet buffs. This is the way I am seriously leaning unless I am in a raid where there is a 51 spec archon.


    Pluses – Lots of raid buffs, great debuffs, and 3 very nice mana returns.


    Negatives – Heavy ramp up time, we are talking close to 30 seconds to get fully buffed and debuffed before starting the Stormcaller attacks, a little weaker in AoE setting.


    Rotation – Archon Buffs up – Icicle – Raging Storm – Ice Shear – Cloudburst until Ice Shear is about to wear off than hit Icicle and begin it again. I toss Leaching Flames on at 75 percent and then weave it into my rotation every cooldown after that. I never get lower than 25 percent when I do that. You can swap out 3 points to Dominator for a longer CC.


    PVE Build 2 – The Heavy Elemental Build is significantly stronger, but requires a significantly finer tuning on your attacks. You have to leave out Crystalline Missiles, Lightning Strike in order to properly use the stormcaller attacks. I tried to weave in the Elemental attacks, and couldn’t do it without seeing a dps loss.


    Pluses – You get the elemental pets, Stronger Aoe, The best personal dps gain with 2 mana returns.


    Negatives – Still a bit heavy on the mana, Pets aren’t as strong as they could be without the 31 point talent, No raid buffs outside of greater Air elemental buff


    Rotation: Ignite, Icicle, Icy Carapace, Raging storm/thunderboltx3, Ice Shear, Cloudburst spam. Reapply Icy Carapace just before shear falls off, and start over again.



    PVP Build - It’s a bit weak in the CC department, but man is it strong on the slows, stops, stuns, and I can switch between draining a caster, and punishing a melee. While I go up the pvp rank I will be dropping the points in Dominator to fill up archon.

    I would like to stay with a main stormcaller build even though at times my fingers are sore from the cloudburst/neural prod spam. I really wish I could go 51 points in Stormcaller, but there are just too many blah talents. Hypothermia is kind of lackluster except if you have extended time and want to setup a major icicle or arctic blast icicle crit. The 44 point talent is a battle rez but in most cases that’s not that creat, and the 51 point talent is not that great.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    196

    Default

    The Cloudburst change has the potential to make Stormcaller much more useful. They have all the tools for kiting, just not the ability to do actual damage while kiting.

    Storms have lots of knockback, even more snares. All three of their channels either root or can be talented to root. The melee range channel even combines knockback, root, solid damage and adds 3x Electrified. There's a knockback shield that pushes away any melee that hits them, and another power that can apply damage + electrified at the same time.

    Add in the 2 point Dominator knockback (which does AIR damage) and you can knockback 4 times in 15 seconds, not even counting any automatic knockback from being hit by melee. All you need is some way to get your slow on them (Hello, Absolute Zero! Hello, Flash Freeze!) and things could get very, very frustrating for any meleer who can't chain-stun you.

    This new Icy Vortex thing sounds like an attempt to further boost SC's melee range survivability. Storms can tap a 50% speed boost to open range back up when they're ready, even without using their snares.

    Makes me wonder if a storm/lock couldn't become a viable build that can with melee much better than others. Mortality is dangerous for most mages ... maybe not a heavy stormer, though.

  3. #3
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarg View Post
    The Cloudburst change has the potential to make Stormcaller much more useful. They have all the tools for kiting, just not the ability to do actual damage while kiting.

    Storms have lots of knockback, even more snares. All three of their channels either root or can be talented to root. The melee range channel even combines knockback, root, solid damage and adds 3x Electrified. There's a knockback shield that pushes away any melee that hits them, and another power that can apply damage + electrified at the same time.

    Add in the 2 point Dominator knockback (which does AIR damage) and you can knockback 4 times in 15 seconds, not even counting any automatic knockback from being hit by melee. All you need is some way to get your slow on them (Hello, Absolute Zero! Hello, Flash Freeze!) and things could get very, very frustrating for any meleer who can't chain-stun you.

    This new Icy Vortex thing sounds like an attempt to further boost SC's melee range survivability. Storms can tap a 50% speed boost to open range back up when they're ready, even without using their snares.

    Makes me wonder if a storm/lock couldn't become a viable build that can with melee much better than others. Mortality is dangerous for most mages ... maybe not a heavy stormer, though.
    I have been running a Dom -32 SC 17 build since release...I am 37. I can kite an elite my level and never get touched between the snares both souls have. The 75% snare from Hpothermia stacks with the 70% from Deaths edict. Raging storm roots, while my Dots and Split Personality shades spam void bolts that hit for 130 and crit for 210. I can whipe out a melee mob in 10 seconds, and it never moves more than 5 feet.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landvia View Post
    I have been running a Dom -32 SC 17 build since release...I am 37. I can kite an elite my level and never get touched between the snares both souls have. The 75% snare from Hpothermia stacks with the 70% from Deaths edict. Raging storm roots, while my Dots and Split Personality shades spam void bolts that hit for 130 and crit for 210. I can whipe out a melee mob in 10 seconds, and it never moves more than 5 feet.

    Thank goodness someone knows what they are talking about....

    Soo many mages have no clue how SC works..... I play a 32 SC 32 warlock 2 ele for dungeon I run advanced combat tracker parser and thus far only cabalist with the double heal/dmg crit bonus comes close for aoe.....

    Dunno why the OP thinks clerics suck for dmg....with crit build and the double crit/heal bonus I see cabalist in pvp doing 250k and my mage doing 90k.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default AOE Fun

    Storm/Chlo/Archon

    AOE - Pull 3 with Ice Shear, hit one with Radiant Spores , hit one with Leeching Flames, Forked Lightning x3, Lightning Field till dead

    End fight with full health and mana

    Single target - Radiant Spores, Leeching Flames, Raging Storm, Lightning Field

    Drops mob at your feet... if not push them back with Electorcute

    End fight with full health and mana

    This is can be setup to work as early at 35 and only gets more silly as you add Hailstorm, Lightning storm, and charged Field. When I get all these skills I'll pull 5 or 6 at a time instead of 2 or 3.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ssinjin View Post
    Thank goodness someone knows what they are talking about....

    Soo many mages have no clue how SC works..... I play a 32 SC 32 warlock 2 ele for dungeon I run advanced combat tracker parser and thus far only cabalist with the double heal/dmg crit bonus comes close for aoe.....

    Dunno why the OP thinks clerics suck for dmg....with crit build and the double crit/heal bonus I see cabalist in pvp doing 250k and my mage doing 90k.

    I know exactly how SC works, I just don't like the synergy with warlock. It's way too many buttons for marginally better aoe and significantly weaker single target damage. I think you miss how it works.

    250k in a warfront is easy for any dot/aoe caster who waits for everyone to group up and spams it till he runs out of mana. Cabalists are extremely week in anything but aoe situations though they can be strong from time to time.

    Druids and Shamans are pretty laughable outside of their single 10 second every 2 minute Rage of the Fae or Rage of The North.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landvia View Post
    I have been running a Dom -32 SC 17 build since release...I am 37. I can kite an elite my level and never get touched between the snares both souls have. The 75% snare from Hpothermia stacks with the 70% from Deaths edict. Raging storm roots, while my Dots and Split Personality shades spam void bolts that hit for 130 and crit for 210. I can whipe out a melee mob in 10 seconds, and it never moves more than 5 feet.
    An interesting idea, and a very nice spec, but I really hate the play style of a dom heavy build. It's very crowded with attacks though 1v1 it's really strong.

    I simply don't like anything after mana wrench. I know that there is a lot of very nice control, but I will take the power in the SC and drop a few warriors before they ever come to me in less than 7 seconds. Okay maybe it's a small exaggeration.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragorin View Post
    Storm/Chlo/Archon

    AOE - Pull 3 with Ice Shear, hit one with Radiant Spores , hit one with Leeching Flames, Forked Lightning x3, Lightning Field till dead

    End fight with full health and mana

    Single target - Radiant Spores, Leeching Flames, Raging Storm, Lightning Field

    Drops mob at your feet... if not push them back with Electorcute

    End fight with full health and mana

    This is can be setup to work as early at 35 and only gets more silly as you add Hailstorm, Lightning storm, and charged Field. When I get all these skills I'll pull 5 or 6 at a time instead of 2 or 3.
    For single target you should try Radiant Spores, Leeching Flames, Raging Storm, Ice Shear then spamm Lightning field... does alot more DPS I have crap gear at lvl 50 with no Tier 2 gear at all 700ish Spell power 450ish crit and my Lightning Fields hit with that rotation for 1300+ on both AoE and Single target..

    For AoE I do Hailstorm First for AoE Snare then Lightning storm for the AoE 3 charges + AoE Root then spamm Lightning Field.. If they lif long enough to make it close to me pop Flash Freeze then use Forked Lightning in stead of Lightning storm and rince and repeat...

    SC Is really devastating with TONS of CC its truely sad how many Mages dont try to master it more.

    Ohh and for PVP its even more rediculous if you have a group supporting you keeping you alive... 2 AoE Roots, 2 AoE snare's and a rediculous ammount of AoE dmg dmg that only requre's the first 3 to 4.5 seconds for the mage to stay in one place.. after that for 15 seconds you can move and insta spamm for 1000+ AoE Dmg.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Backus View Post
    I know exactly how SC works, I just don't like the synergy with warlock. It's way too many buttons for marginally better aoe and significantly weaker single target damage. I think you miss how it works.

    250k in a warfront is easy for any dot/aoe caster who waits for everyone to group up and spams it till he runs out of mana. Cabalists are extremely week in anything but aoe situations though they can be strong from time to time.

    Druids and Shamans are pretty laughable outside of their single 10 second every 2 minute Rage of the Fae or Rage of The North.
    To many buttons? You really only need to use 4 or 5 abilities unless you are trying to evade then it becomes more difficult. AoE Lightning storm + spamm Lightning field insta no cooldown... bamm you are doing insane AoE dmg for 15 seconds... untill Lightning storm is back up toss out a Hail storm then spamm Forked lightning 3 times and spamm Lightning Field again...

    The main issue with SC in PVP is survivability... unless you have a group supporting you 99% of the time you are chain stunned, silenced and wtf pwned by Warriors and Sabs... Due to this I rarely ever pvp in SC spec.. I use 44 Pyro 16 Chloro 6 warlock for my PVP build which is very OP IMO...

    And my Single target dmg on my SC build is better than any other build I have made to date... Running the parser at the target dummies the only other class that came close to my 700 dps was a warrior.. but we all know how borked they are.. I honestly dont know what people are doing when they are playing SC if they think their single target dmg sux.. Yah I dont see huge 2300+ Cinder blasts but those are rare but I do see steady 1300+ Lightning Fields back to back over and over which makes up for that.

    Single target

    Ice Shear- Raging Storm - spamm Lightning field.. try it very simple and awesome steady dmg for 15 seconds. Pop off a Static Flux for an addition 20% Dmg.

    There IS an issue with SC though I havent had the time to spend 20 plat respecing over and over to find it but its there. Some of the abilities and Talents are not stacking their dmg especially Cloudburst which is why I use lightning field instead..

    In reality it should work like this

    Ice Shear + Deadly shards = 42% Dmg bonus for Air/Water with 3 stack of electrified
    Inductance = 30% Dmg bonus with 3 stacks of electrified
    Stretch of Cold = 32% Dmg bonus for water spells (Cloud burst)
    Cloud Burst = 45% dmg bonus to itself with 3 stacks of Electrified
    Static Flux = 20% dmg bonus to all Water/Air

    Something is overrighting something.. even without using Static Flux.

    The base dmg on Cloudburst is 58 to 62
    The base dmg on Lightning Field is 65 to 69

    Cloudburst hits for 527 non crit and 789 for crits With 3 charges of Electrified + Ice Shear
    Lightning Field hits for 691 non crit and 1042 for crits with 3 charges of Electrified + Ice Shear

    With 3 Charges of Electrified Cloudburst should be hitting for 45% more dmg and doing FAR more than lightning field... but its not. I dont know if spell bonus isnt being applied to it or Stretch of Cold is being over writtin or what but SOMETHING is broke.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    P.S. And I am sorry but any Cleric that wants to do dmg and cant figure it out I am not going to feel sorry for them.. as Mages in order to get ONLY Crit DAMAGE bonus of 30% we have to spec into tier 6 of Elemental and Clerics get THREE Souls with 10 pnt Talents that STACK giving them 60% crit dmg bonus to BOTH HEALS and DAMAGE needs to L2P.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker TJH Lilith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Langley AFB, VA
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Post patch I am looking at this build for a SC pvp build. As you can tell it willl have 4 roots, 2 bubbles, 2 snare+50% run speeds, the archon hp and int buffs, and the rest of your normal SC tools. staying mobile with the new pyro bubble instant gop will make for even more aoe possibilities for the SC. Hopefully cloud burst buff will cover the single target weakness of the build.

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...tssdR.hRxs.x0z

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ssinjin View Post
    P.S. And I am sorry but any Cleric that wants to do dmg and cant figure it out I am not going to feel sorry for them.. as Mages in order to get ONLY Crit DAMAGE bonus of 30% we have to spec into tier 6 of Elemental and Clerics get THREE Souls with 10 pnt Talents that STACK giving them 60% crit dmg bonus to BOTH HEALS and DAMAGE needs to L2P.
    You sir an idiot who hasn't learned a single thing about clerics nor played one. Inq is fine, cab is decent though it excels in aoe. Shaman is decent when you are getting crit strings, but druid is awful. Downright awful. You can't gain 60 percent crit damage bonus with a deep druid tree or a deep shaman tree. Even if you did getting 60 percent of 700 is crap. When any other dps can hit 1300 on a crit without breaking a sweat. Go back to your overpowered warrior and get off the mage forums.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

  13. #13
    Soulwalker Venori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    hey ssinjin can you post your build for me cause i am at lvl 19 at the moment and have moved to a necro spec but i loved how sc worked out. i am curious on what to go up with the tree.


    thanks

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170

    Default

    P.S.Your rotation alone shows how poorly you come close to understanding even the Stormcaller class. You cast ice shear first before anything else - brilliant move there. You never casted a hypothermia spell which increases the damage of your Raging Storm and thunderbolt.

    You failed to read the patch notes where they stated they were increasing the damage of Cloudburst for the exact reason you stated in your post. It wasn't scaling correctly and so they fixed it. If you are running lock/SC in dungeons and don't see that you have about 10 buttons to hit, but are only hitting the SC buttons than wtf are you even in the lock tree. Speccing 31 points into a lock tree to use not a single lock attack is ridiculous and ignorant on so many levels.

    To top it all off, you are spamming Lightning field which does more damage and you can't see why. It costs more mana and is an aoe spam, now should it do more damage to a single target than cloudburst? No, but it should do more damage to multiple targets. Take into account that you are using a spell that requires twice the amount of mana and does 100 more dps, and you don't see that Lightning field is a worse spell to use? Come on mate!

    Thanks for helping out. Don't insult me if you can't at least use common sense.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TJH Lilith View Post
    Post patch I am looking at this build for a SC pvp build. As you can tell it willl have 4 roots, 2 bubbles, 2 snare+50% run speeds, the archon hp and int buffs, and the rest of your normal SC tools. staying mobile with the new pyro bubble instant gop will make for even more aoe possibilities for the SC. Hopefully cloud burst buff will cover the single target weakness of the build.

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...tssdR.hRxs.x0z
    Why Pyromancer as your third soul? I think Dom would be a better third soul.

    The one thing Ssinjin has posted that was right on the money is that SC is only strong if you stay with a group it's ability to survive on it's own is pretty weak getting a third shield is a possible help, but the Elementalist shield would be a better way to go as the Elementalist tree is a bit stronger for Stormcaller.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts