+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: please help a noob!! Mage questions

Soulwalker

Default please help a noob!! Mage questions

Hello there,
    I just bought the game and I decided to choose the mage class for my character . I do not know much about the game yet, so I thought I could ask for some help of more skilled players. I LOVE pvp so I am looking for a mage class which performs well against other players/classes ( mostly in group pvp ).

However, I am really new here... I do not have a guild nor any friend playing this game. This probably means that I will spend most of my time levelling alone, while doing some pvp scenarios/open pvp.

I tried a bit of elementalist and pyro. I liked both even though the pyro runs low on mana too quickly . I like the storm caller from the description... but I am afraid that it could be useless in pvp. Most of pvp I tried is fast paced and I do not think that a slow casting class could do well. I also like the Dominator A LOT from the description. However, I am concerned how good could be a support class for solo levelling.

My questions are:

1) could anybody suggest me a good soul combo which is very strong in pvp and allows a decent solo pve levelling?

2) I am not quite sure how importent is the initial choice of the souls. Let's say I take storm caller/dominator... then I undestand after 10 lvls that the combination stinks. Am I allowed to respec? Can I change them? Can I arrive to lvl 20 and then become a necro/warlock ?

Really, thank you very much for your help!!!!
    Cheers
    The hamster

Quote Originally Posted by Werehamster View Post
    1) could anybody suggest me a good soul combo which is very strong in pvp and allows a decent solo pve levelling?
    basically anything you choose now that they all got buffed out of their minds
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

If you like pvp then roll a warrior

Mages are the weakest class in the game.
    I will accept that it's easier for you to just wait for a rez after a wipe if you accept that it's more mana effecient for me to just rez you after each pull...

Soulwalker

while /bumping this post probably I should say that I love mages classes which are fragile, but that have lots of tricks to stun, slow and control the enemy. Also I would love to have big hitting nukes with long CD and I do not mind to be a supporter

I hope I am not dreaming too much

Quote Originally Posted by Dephcon View Post

you must not have read the 1.1 patch notes yet...

Rift Master

not only can you respec them all you like...
    in this game you can have i think up to 4 roles stored, i have 3 atm - roles are sets of up to 3 souls you like together

as long as you are out of combat you can switch to that role on the fly anywhere you are

say you enter a pvp match to do dps... notice 3 m in there isn't one person healing... when you die and return you change to a role that heals and go show em how to play

you pay to reset the 3 souls in a role in town once you start spending points in them but they are changeable on the fly

also it stores the skill placement you have on the hotbars for each role so that you don't have to remap those each time
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Doesnt matter.... you will be stunned..silenced and dead in less than 5 seconds
    I will accept that it's easier for you to just wait for a rez after a wipe if you accept that it's more mana effecient for me to just rez you after each pull...

Soulwalker

Eh cheers mate. I read other posts about that. However, please let's try to be constructive. I am not even the best pvp player ever, so I do not want to be the king of the Battleground. I just want to do some killing .

It could be useful if you guys can point out for me some very strong combination with short comments of the wekness. Even some basic comments. It's very hard for me to find any information. There are a lot of posts complaining about imbalances but very few which describe Strenghts/Weakness of each class.

Please help

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    not only can you respec them all you like...
    in this game you can have i think up to 4 roles stored, i have 3 atm - roles are sets of up to 3 souls you like together
    OMG this is so cool. So basically, let's say I take Elementalist/Dominator caz I am a noob :P
    At lvl 10 I am bored and I switch to Necro/Warlock
    Is that right ????

okokok thanks mate, that is good stuff... probably I should refrase my question:

1) Which are the best combos for solo levelling ?
    2) I guess I can find out my pvp combos by myself now with some trial and error . However, any advice is welcome!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Werehamster View Post
    OMG this is so cool. So basically, let's say I take Elementalist/Dominator caz I am a noob :P
    At lvl 10 I am bored and I switch to Necro/Warlock
    Is that right ????

okokok thanks mate, that is good stuff... probably I should refrase my question:

1) Which are the best combos for solo levelling ?
    2) I guess I can find out my pvp combos by myself now with some trial and error . However, any advice is welcome!!!!
    Well you gotta wait til level 13 I think, and then do a bunch of Class quests to get the souls you want. Then you can switch to your hearts content, and give yourself 4 templates for each role. Tons of fun.

1.) Necro/lock, but with the upcoming patch, there are a lot of buffs and a lot more survivability, so you can level as whatever, I'm guessing
    2) idk anything about pvp ^_^ I thought Chloro was best, but.. idk

Chloro/Lock/Ele Ele/Arch/Chloro Necro/Lock/Dom SC/Ele/Chloro

My .02, hopefully it will help the OP out some.

I have pretty much always ran some form of Chloromancer for both PvP and PvE. Currently, I have a Chloro/necro/lock that I spend most of my playtime on.

I also have a backup full dps spec that I will use if we need a little more damage in a dungeon, or if a warfront has too many healers in it. The doesn't work that well for leveling though, as I can't really keep myself alive.

If you like necro, you can use it to level, once you get the tank pet, but you have to put a lot of points into it for him to keep aggro.

Pretty much though, any solo PvE spec is going to run chloro, just because it lets you survive longer.

Although like someone mentioned, the 1.1 patch notes could change things up a lot, but they are still only on the alpha server, and could change a lot.
    Shut your pie hole!!!

Start off going for something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwR.ce0h.x0c

Getting a little bit higher level go, something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwR.ce0hkR.xbcp0z

Higher still...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0hkqqxk.xbcp0z

The last push to 50...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...hkqqxk.xhctVzo

These builds are fine for both pve and pvp. Just stay in back, and keep yourself up with essence link, radiant spores and soul purge.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    Well you gotta wait til level 13 I think, and then do a bunch of Class quests to get the souls you want. Then you can switch to your hearts content, and give yourself 4 templates for each role. Tons of fun.

1.) Necro/lock, but with the upcoming patch, there are a lot of buffs and a lot more survivability, so you can level as whatever, I'm guessing
    2) idk anything about pvp ^_^ I thought Chloro was best, but.. idk
    Awesome. Well 13 will do. I think I'll give Necro/Lock a try. Maybe it's fun.

Okokokokok I read some posts complaining about chloro being very powerful but I though it was a joke caz the class description says they are healers. Lol

If I have so much freedom to respec then I guess I will have some fun... probably try the storm caller and the dominator which I like a lot from the description. If they sux at pvp I'll switch later on.

Also, I am not quite sure what an Anchor is... probably I am going to find it out.

Thank you very much for your help!!!!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrimm999 View Post
    Start off going for something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwR.ce0h.x0c

Getting a little bit higher level go, something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwR.ce0hkR.xbcp0z

Higher still...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0hkqqxk.xbcp0z

The last push to 50...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...hkqqxk.xhctVzo

These builds are fine for both pve and pvp. Just stay in back, and keep yourself up with essence link, radiant spores and soul purge.
    This is fantastic!!! Thanks a lot!

Doesnt matter.... my loser pve build that doesn't even have any cc or anti-cc im using to pvp with will be stunned..silenced and dead in less than 5 seconds
    fixed

/10qqrsruiningthisgame

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast