+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Elemental DPS

Default Air Elemental DPS

In a first step towards many for Elementalists to become viable DPS, we need to get the Air Elemental's DPS fixed. Shown below are parses of me doing various things to increase Air Ele dps. This by all means was NOT a dps spec, (39 Elementalist, 21 Chloromancer, 6 Necromancer) but rather my elite killing spec, however other souls don't benefit the Air Elemental anyway so it's moot. The damage you're seeing on Crystalline Missiles is what you get solely from the Elementalist Tree as I didn't get anything from other trees to increase its damage.

To give you a ballpark of where my gear is..

I have
    801 Spellpower
    424 Spell Crit
    193 Focus.

Pet has
    357 Spellpower
    Spell Crit
    193 Focus

NAME DURATION DAMAGE EXT DPS

Just Pet
    Hanlite 01:24 6,413 75.45

Just Ignite
    Hanlite 01:20 8,098 90.99

Crystalline Missiles Spam
    Hanlite 01:25 10,940 122.92

Crystalline Missiles and Ignite
    Hanlite 01:24 12,311 138.33

Me Spamming Crystalline Missiles
    Hanlo 01:23 23,852 287.37

These are taken (as showed) over the course of about a minute and a half, which I've found to be a decent estimate.
    Casting Ignite appeared to be a 15 DPS increase for pet.
    Keeping Crystalline Missiles debuff on target appeared to be about 47 DPS increase for pet.
    Keeping both on target added about 63 DPS.
    Then of course at the end is an example of me just spamming Crystalline Missiles to show how far behind Air Elemental is to the Ele's basic nuke.

Now, if memory serves me right then Trion reduced Air Elemental damage because it was infringing on Necromancer pet dps or adding to much to other dps specs who could just go and pick it up from the tree. With the addition of Crystalline Missiles and Ignite to work something like the Necro Tree, I suppose this was to remedy that and keep the Elementalist comparable. However it is clearly not. For the pet to now do over 100 dps, the Elementalist has to rely not only on a kind of crappy nuke, but luck for it to proc the damage bonus. This, of course, is cumbersome when you add a third spell (other than Ignite and Crystalline Missiles) such as Lightning Strike, as Velocity has a high chance of wearing off before you can get it back up spamming Missiles.

My Suggestions? Well if Trion is scared of people picking up Ele and getting a good dps chunk without any work, then make it all rely on Velocity. I don't really care for the current random chance to proc it, and instead if it was a stacking damage buff that came from Crystalline Missiles it would ensure that no one outside of Elementalists would be getting uber dps from pet.

Now that this problem's fixed, increase the amount of DPS Velocity gives the pet by a very very good amount. In my opinion, keeping Velocity stacks on the target should increase pet DPS to Elementalist's levels (which is not, to be honest, very impressive anyway). In this case we can use my Crystalline Missile spam of 287. If the Air Elemental could come up to 287 dps with Velocity, that would put Elementalist at around 570 DPS. While this is not really good it is fairly decent.

Another thing I would like to see is a change in Force of Nature. Rather than straight increasing pet damage by 2% per point, I would love to see it instead increase Spellpower or Attack Power gained from the caster by 2% per point spent. I feel this would be much more beneficial to high Elementalist specs and would actually encourage people to keep spending points into the Elementalist tree rather than the marginal gain we see from Force of Nature now.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-24-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Ascendant

I don't think your parser is correct. How can a pet doing AT LEAST 300 damage per lightning bolt @2s and AT LEAST 500 per ball lightning with minimum of 30% crit chance parse under 150? Crit chance would be closer to 45% I think.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 03-24-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Maybe you are correct, I am bad at using parsers. I am just going off of what it told me.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-24-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Maybe you are correct, I am bad at using parsers. I am just going off of what it told me.
    Me too, I was ****ing around with both ACT and the riftjunkies parser earlier as 51 ele/15 warlock(just to test) and over 5m ACT parsed me+pet at 650~ DPS and riftjunkies at 400. My pet does over 300 LB non crit, 500+ BL non crit and the rate at which ele gains charge to dump with elemental forces is pretty damn good, in fact Ele/Lock has the best charge generation of any spec. There is no way that can parse under 400 unless you were under focused, which you you/I are not.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 03-24-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    I don't think your parser is correct. How can a pet doing AT LEAST 300 damage per lightning bolt @2s and AT LEAST 500 per ball lightning with minimum of 30% crit chance parse under 150? Crit chance would be closer to 45% I think.
    Ive heard rumors that pets are not actually getting the focus the tooltip says they do.

This is on a test dummy in Meridian, no other buffs or debuffs are on me or my pet.

Forgot about Electrify being cast.
    Did a little more testing, taking Electrify off of autocasting increased pet dps by about 14. However the raid will lose out on 50 Spellpower.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-24-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    This is on a test dummy in Meridian, no other buffs or debuffs are on me or my pet.
    Same here, but I did keep Exposure up the whole time, and used neddra's torture on CD. I was going to toy with a build with lingering pain to keep LL rolling between velocity, but I don't think it's possible right now.

Basically what I feel ele needs is:
    1. Velocity at 100% with a 15s duration, or one or the other, to promote spell weaving with other souls. Right now as you've probably noticed, velocity can fall off even when spamming crystalline making it impossible to weave other class nukes in between. This would make it one of the most complex rotations(archon is not complex due to macro system) of any mage spec with competitive single target potential.

2. Swarming Flames @ 1.5-2m CD. It is a powerful CD, but not worth losing devouring shadows over. 51 Ele is one of the weakest AoE specs in the game. It also needs to benefit from sever bonds, but would be overpowered with intensify.

3. Elemental Forces needs to effect your pet. It is pretty powerful considering the % of damage increase when spamming crystalline missiles, which is the weakest nuke in the game but it has absolutely no synergy with pet. Soul Purge = heal + damage self and pet. Ele Forces = add 80~ damage to all your nukes, with no benefit towards your pet in a VERY pet oriented spec.

4. Abrasion needs to be removed and replaced with a talent that has a 20/30% chance to cause icy carapace to reset all pet cooldowns when detonated. Icy has zero synergy with elementalist atm.

Edit: 5. Lightning Strike should increase pet critical damage by 10/20/30%(based on points in tempest) for 20 seconds. Right now LS has absolutely no place in your rotation aside from opportunity procs.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 03-24-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Shadowlander

Could you post a link to your spec, I want to test this out aswell

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by zero4481 View Post
    Could you post a link to your spec, I want to test this out aswell
    He has his spec in his OP and I just used 51 ele/15 warlock/0 archon and used intensify and swarming flames on CD, only used icy carapace during intensify + elemental forces and only used LS if I had an opp proc off an instant since I usually ate them double casting crystalline. Also used neddras on CD and kept exposure up.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 03-24-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    He has his spec in his OP and I just used 51 ele/15 warlock/0 archon and used intensify and swarming flames on CD, only used icy carapace during intensify + elemental forces and only used LS if I had an opp proc off an instant since I usually ate them double casting crystalline. Also used neddras on CD and kept exposure up.
    Okay then that is where the difference is coming from. As I stated in my original post (or attempted to if I didn't), I didn't use any abilities other than Crystalline Missiles / Ignite to increase pet dps. Also, all I did was spam Crystalline Missiles when indicated as it would be the baseline spell for Ele DPS. By the way, the pet does not indeed do as much DPS with the casts as you would believe as I had forgotten that every 14 seconds he casts Electrify (which does no damage). That would account for the dps disparity most likely.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-24-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Rift Chaser

In my opinion... (And I play heavy Ele most of the time, just out of sheer stubbornness.) We need more synergy, damage and maybe some reactives. Those things are just... fun.
    Note: All reactives would consume 20-30 charge when used in order to compensate for Elemental Forces being moved off the "consumes charge, you cannot gain charge while active" model.

1. Move Crystalline missiles up to 100% proc chance, 20s duration but make it 10% per application max 5 stacks. Stacks should build up on the pet rather than the mob.
    --> On critical hit, reactive pops up: Pet's next attack is procs "Sandblast" an AE that generates additional threat and reduces the hit-chance of everything it strikes by 5% for 12s. The effect of "Abrasion" is moved to sandblast, presto, tank pet has a use in PvP.

2. Ignite, see above. Should apply buff to pet. Increase pet critical multiplier a little too maybe.
    --> On a critical hit, reactive pops up: Fiery Rage. Summons one 'fire and forget' pet like those summoned by the 51 root.

3. Icy Carapace: As the DoT ticks, apply stacks of "Frozen." When the carapace is shattered, transfer those stacks to the Elementalist's pet as a buff that increases damage and crit chance by 20%. One attack consumes one stack of "Frozen."
    --> On a critical hit, reactive pops up: Frozen Torrent. Channeled spell, 5 seconds. Target and up to 2 nearby targets take water damage each second and receives one stack of "Frozen" each second. Stacks last 15s and are refreshed when Icy Carapace ticks.

Elemental Forces: frontload charge consumption. Consumes 100 charge instantly, lasts 12s and applies buff to both the pet and the Elementalist. While Elemental forces is on the pet, increase pet's casting speed by 10% and reduce cooldowns by 10%.

Abrasion: see "Sandblast" above.

Lightning Strike: On critical, reactive pops up: "Storm Potency" for the next 15s, any time pet is struck, all nearby enemies take air damage. All attacks additionally proc: "Rage of the Winds" which inflicts additional air damage + air damage over time to up to 2 targets near the target.

Force of Nature: Change from damage increase to bonus to pet stats. Would need to be tinkered with to avoid being over/underpowered of course.

Pets:
    Earth -- bump up autoattack damage slightly.
    Air -- Lower cooldown on ball Lightning significantly, even if it means losing a bit of damage. See properly executes Necro/Lock pet AE DPS for comparison. Move electrify to an aura like the Druid's Satyr so it does not need to be cast. Add minor air damage proc effect on all spells w/aura. (Base Damage = Level/2?)
    Water -- Increase Frost Bolt damage significantly. If possible, changing the AE root to a cone AE knockback root with a lower timer would be interesting, and changing the silence to a targeted AE that caused knockback + snare as a temporary "area denial" effect would be more useful. Significant rework on the water pet in any event.

I don't mind having to work for my DPS/group/raid slot. I just want to know I can shine with that effort, and as it stands right now, I find consistently that regardless of what I do (other than using FotM Pyro/Lock Necro/Lock builds) I can't provide my guild/groups with competitive DPS--our warrior demands I go Chloro/Archon and the cleric go Justicar so he can DPS. (Champ/BM/Para)

Plane Touched

Some additional info, which may be interesting (or not): Elemental Pet DPS. Scroll down to the end.

I need to redo some of these tests but overall they are already quite informative. I haven't done all the same tests for the necromancer, only the base tests (pet alone without any buffing). There I got ~100 DPS for the zealot, ~80 DPS for the knight and ~55 DPS for the revenant. So their base is a bit higher, although I need to run the tests with buffs up to see how high they can get.

What I found interesting tho is that the necro has an easier time keeping up their +dmg buffs for their pets. Necrosis -> 18s DOT, Looming Demise -> 60s debuff, Grave Rot -> AOE which stacks deathly calling. Granted these only work on single abilities for their pets unlike Velocity which works on all. But it still makes keeping them up easier for the necro (I think, as I haven't played necro extensively).

+ Reply to Thread