+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concern: Radiant Spores Mechanic and new changes

Default Concern: Radiant Spores Mechanic and new changes

Ok with the new changes its a mixed bag really. Chlor healing will now be more group based than raid wide. This opens the door for having more than one chlor per raid. Previously it was a waste to have more than one chlor. However, there is still one issue with chlor's that I hope will be addressed.

Radiant spores. How many chlors have gone to a rift event in which there are several individual groups or a couple of raid groups and gotten into a radiant spores battle with the other chlormancers? You know you cast your radiant spores start dpsing, then notice that no one in your group/raid is getting any benefit from spores. You look at the mob and no radiant spores...so you recast and start seeing the healing then suddenly its gone again. So you end up spending a good amount of time trying to keep radiant spores up but it constantly is getting overwritten (removed for your group/raid) but some other chlor also trying to figure out why their radiant spores keep disappearing.

Changes to Radiant Spores:

Option A: Make it so that Radiant Spores is not removed/over written by other groups/raids. With the changes coming and the likelihood that more than 1 chlor per raid will be used this will become a greater issue. What happens when the chlor in the tank group uses radiant spores then a chlor in the dps group replaces it shortening heals on the tank group? Are we going to be expected to say only the chlor in the tank group can use spores to prevent this and end up shortchanging the healing for other groups?

Option B: Change radiant spores from a debuff on the target to a buff on the group. Look at Bard's motifs for example. Base ability casts radiant spores on the group for 15 seconds. Any dmg done has the 10% chance to proc and heal the ally for 100% of dmg done. And the improved version makes radiant spores last up to 30 sec's (5 second's more per point spent in Phytogensis) and increases proc rate 2-6% like the new change.

Honestly it sucks that radiant spores is being reduced from a 30% chance to 16% chance at best but if you have to fight other chlormancers to even keep your radiant spores active then the spell will become useless if you take more than one chlor.

Option C: Change radiant spores to where anyone hitting a target effected by radiant spores gets the benefit no matter what group or raid they are in. I believe this is how it is supposed to work but from my observations appears only to effect group/raid members the chlor is with not outside parties. Like I have said I have cast my radiant spores and had it immediately removed by another chlor casting it (the targets buff/debuff listing) and noticed that when my radiant spores was not "active" it never proced for my group/raid. Cast it again and see it procing for group/raid members then suddenly it stops because another chlor notice their's was not working and recast radiant spores.

Again this may have just been an annoyance factor before these proposed changes at rift events where you did run into multiple chlormancers at the same time. Currently if you form a raid you wont have more than one chlormancer because there is no need for it...one is enough. But with the changes its possible we could see 2 raid wide maybe even one per group in some cases. So the whole radiant spores issue is really going to come to a head when this happens.

Last edited by Datku; 03-24-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Rift Master

well it def. works out of your group - have been many times i entered a random rift and its the first thing i cast if i have it, and green numbers start flying because there wasn't anyone healing or not for enough
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-24-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Shadowlander

Not concerned yet myself - I was out healing our cleric 2 to 1 in boss fights while doing decent dps...

Sword of Telara

I've already suggested something like option B so I like it :P The increased duration from Phytogenesis is also a good idea.

aux

No worries. No decent healer is going to waste a GCD on a 10-16% Spores anyway. Depending on how much it's buffed we'll probably be using Withering Vine instead.
    Last edited by aux; 03-24-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Rift Disciple

Before I start, I hate what they're doing to radiant spores. If change has to be done then lets have it be something meaningful and useful.

If Trion wants radiant spores to go from healing on average 30% of the damage to a mob down to 16% then instead reducing the proc rate they should reduce the amount healed. I would prefer a proc rate of 100% while only healing 16% of the damage done. That's just my preference.

I hate to do this, but the author of the thread is mistaken on several key points and this is why:

"Option A: Make it so that Radiant Spores is not removed/over written by other groups/raids" and "Option C: Change radiant spores to where anyone hitting a target effected by radiant spores gets the benefit no matter what group or raid they are in." don't need to be done because that is ALREADY how they work. Please, read the tooltip and then test it. Here, I'll give you the tooltip:

"Surround the enemy in phytotropic spores for 16 seconds, giving any allies who damage the effected enemy a 15% chance to heal themselves for 100% of the damage the dealt."

Radiant Spores does not care what group you are in or even if you are in the same raid. You can in fact heal npc's guarding a camp with radiant spores. I do it all the time. You will never see it on your scrolling combat text if it isn't your radiant spores though because its not your Radiant Spores. Your raid will still benefit from the ability no matter who cast it last. You also won't get the "credit" for healing if your radiant spores is overwritten. If you cast Radiant Spores on a target and it is overwritten by another radiant spores, you still heal off of radiant spores with damaging abilities. You just heal off of someone else's radiant spores when you use a damaging ability.

Buffs only effecting a group does not apply to Rift in any way shape or form. This is a relic of games you've played in the past that no longer applied. Buff's are raid-wide and in radiant spore's case they can also be faction-wide. If you put Radiant Spores on a boss, then every ally can proc heals off of it. It doesn't matter if they are in your group, raid, or even whether or not they are even a player (so npc heal off of radiant spores as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Datku View Post
    This opens the door for having more than one chlor per raid. Previously it was a waste to have more than one chlor.
    Certainly not a waste to use more than 1 chloro, even now. On fights like Hylas or Greenscale, we'll run 2 chloros and we'll both be on top for heals. Please explain how that's a waste?
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jayfer View Post
    Radiant Spores does not care what group you are in or even if you are in the same raid. You can in fact heal npc's guarding a camp with radiant spores. I do it all the time. You will never see it on your scrolling combat text if it isn't your radiant spores though because its not your Radiant Spores. Your raid will still benefit from the ability no matter who cast it last. You also won't get the "credit" for healing if your radiant spores is overwritten. If you cast Radiant Spores on a target and it is overwritten by another radiant spores, you still heal off of radiant spores with damaging abilities. You just heal off of someone else's radiant spores when you use a damaging ability.

Buffs only effecting a group does not apply to Rift in any way shape or form. This is a relic of games you've played in the past that no longer applied. Buff's are raid-wide and in radiant spore's case they can also be faction-wide. If you put Radiant Spores on a boss, then every ally can proc heals off of it. It doesn't matter if they are in your group, raid, or even whether or not they are even a player (so npc heal off of radiant spores as well).
    This is the reason I originally didn't reply to the thread. The OP doesn't understand the basic mechanic behind spores itself. Sure, I'll get in spore battles with other chloros, and its easy to win once you know the tricks. In the end though it just comes down to being greedy and who gets the contribution

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post
    No worries. No decent healer is going to waste a GCD on a 10-16% Spores anyway. Depending on how much it's buffed we'll probably be using Withering Vine instead.
    Not in 5 mans, anyways. I'd still spend the gcd in a raid situation. Given large enough numbers, that percentage will pay off. But it's definitely not good anymore for dungeon crawling. Spores never amounted to a great deal of healing in 5 mans to begin with even at present values.

It's a tough spell to balance out. The mechanics are such that in order to make it useful in small situations it tends to blow up in larger venues and vice versa. Trion decided to throw it under the bus so far as dunegons go.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Enrick View Post
    This is the reason I originally didn't reply to the thread. The OP doesn't understand the basic mechanic behind spores itself. Sure, I'll get in spore battles with other chloros, and its easy to win once you know the tricks. In the end though it just comes down to being greedy and who gets the contribution
    Thank you. I really appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread