+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sooo.... everyone still cancelling their sub?

Default Sooo.... everyone still cancelling their sub?

Gotta ask, everyone who threw a tanty yesterday and are no longer re-subscribing, are you now rere-subscribing? Not so much having a dig at them as find out if they are actually still pissed about the "nerf" considering the dps reduction in other souls.

Rift Disciple

when 1.1 comin online?

Rift Chaser

I had no plans on cancellin, wait to see the dev responses to the valid concerns in te calling.

Seeing the intended fixes coming, I may upgrade my computer sooner than planned. Not like a new compute will go to waste and it'll be better to eval the game and decide my final commitment.

Shadowlander

I never had plans to cancel.

Balance in this game is simply impossible with the Soul System. I came into it realizing that and therefore have never been angry when there was a lack of balance.

Those that are disappointed enough in their souls to cancel a sub this quickly make me wonder if this was their first or second MMO. Did they genuinely believe balance was possible in a system this complex?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Asyrin View Post

Balance in this game is simply impossible with the Soul System. I came into it realizing that and therefore have never been angry when there was a lack of balance.

Those that are disappointed enough in their souls to cancel a sub this quickly make me wonder if this was their first or second MMO. Did they genuinely believe balance was possible in a system this complex?
    I can agree that more complexity in a class system can make it harder to balance. Unfortunately, it's also far more interesting.

I, apparently, have higher expectations than you when it comes to balancing. But I certainly don't expect them not to have some balance issues 3 weeks in. I'm leveling up a mage, warrior and cleric and I'm having fun. If I cease enjoying one of the classes, I'll quit playing it. If I cease enjoying any of them, I'll find something else to do... and that will happen eventually as it does with all games but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.

Shadowlander

Not canceling here. I like Mage and made the call to stay with it since the 4th beta. Most of these changes are taking the OP or FoTM builds and bringing them back in balance.

If you ask me some of those folks are dumb to think that the OP builds in beta would not be brought back in line. It happens all the time and why I stay away from the most OP classes...

Seriously, wtf is up with all these attention seeking people, putting their wannabe pr0 and sarcastic sentence into the forum topic for MOAR ATTENTION, I’ve seen plenty of “Sooo ...I’m cancelling dot.dot.dot”
    If you are quitting because you can’t stand class tweaks – fine. Do it. Not your cup of tea. I get it. But why opening up a captain obvious style topic about that ? Misery loves company, I guess ...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfury View Post
    I can agree that more complexity in a class system can make it harder to balance. Unfortunately, it's also far more interesting.

I, apparently, have higher expectations than you when it comes to balancing. But I certainly don't expect them not to have some balance issues 3 weeks in. I'm leveling up a mage, warrior and cleric and I'm having fun. If I cease enjoying one of the classes, I'll quit playing it. If I cease enjoying any of them, I'll find something else to do... and that will happen eventually as it does with all games but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    I'd love if Rift could be balanced. Unfortunately, it's simply not possible. Not because I lack faith in Trion's ability but because it can't be done.

Let's take a very basic example for illustration. Note that this is just an example of soul ability interactions and I'm not saying it's necessarily true.

- Let's say with the buffed mage damage fireball actually does very good damage to account for its long cast time.
    - Let's say I'm a Pyromancer/Dom and I pick up the abilities that buff casting speed and damage after squirreling a target.
    - So now I have a fireball that casts for an additional 50% damage on a 0.5 second cast time every time I transmog a target. I can spam transmog several times before DRs make it useless on a single target.

How does the dev team balance this situation? Do they nerf Fireball damage? That would gimp pyromancers that don't take dom for the above scenario. Do they nerf the dom abilities? That would make the doms that aren't pyros cry that their already crappy damage is even crappier. Do they limit it to Dom only spells? That defeats the spirit of a multiple soul build with synergies between builds.

The above is just a very basic example. Multiply that by a many different soul combos and far more complex scenarios.

Balance simply can't be done in this game. It never will be.

Telaran

there will never be balance in classes if there more then 1
    tell me a game with balanced classes... i have not seen 1 yet... there is and will always be "op" classes

If I do, it has nothing to do with the mage class, and more due to some customer service issues I am having at the moment. I hope the next few days change my mind , I really do.

I'd love if Rift could be balanced. Unfortunately, it's simply not possible. Not because I lack faith in Trion's ability but because it can't be done.

Let's take a very basic example for illustration. Note that this is just an example of soul ability interactions and I'm not saying it's necessarily true.

- Let's say with the buffed mage damage fireball actually does very good damage to account for its long cast time.
    - Let's say I'm a Pyromancer/Dom and I pick up the abilities that buff casting speed and damage after squirreling a target.
    - So now I have a fireball that casts for an additional 50% damage on a 0.5 second cast time every time I transmog a target. I can spam transmog several times before DRs make it useless on a single target.

How does the dev team balance this situation? Do they nerf Fireball damage? That would gimp pyromancers that don't take dom for the above scenario. Do they nerf the dom abilities? That would make the doms that aren't pyros cry that their already crappy damage is even crappier. Do they limit it to Dom only spells? That defeats the spirit of a multiple soul build with synergies between builds.

The above is just a very basic example. Multiply that by a many different soul combos and far more complex scenarios.

Make transmogrify heal people affected by it , solution /end

Telaran

Just saw the alpha patch notes. The changes look fine to me.

I'm gonna sub another month I think

Champion

i seriously hope they do, i mean general discussion is like gouge your eyes out question humanity in general bad but the mage forums lately havent been much better.

i couldnt believe the people flipping out over the chloro changes, and theres STILL people that think were getting nerfed into the ground. OMG your nerfing archon, i mean really? fixing blatant bugs is nerfing now? "nerfing spores? i 100% guarantee no one will even notice this change. only people that would be affected were solo specs with no tank but were getting more armor, less pushback, more survuvability skills.

if these people were playing champs, they would be saying OMG they nerfed titans strike into the ground, RAGEQUIT time!

i really really wish there was a forum ignore button.

Soulwalker

Spending those points in Dom just to get insta-squirrel + dmg after squirrel will cost you points you need to make Pyro worth it.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCrucial View Post
    Spending those points in Dom just to get insta-squirrel + dmg after squirrel will cost you points you need to make Pyro worth it.

It doesn't cost that many points in Dom to get instand squirrel and damage increase. If they balance it so that spending just 25 points in another tree gimps your other trees then it defeats the purpose of their multi-soul system. The pyro/dom thing was just used as an example of how Rift can never be balanced.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast