+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing aggro

Default Healing aggro

I am NOT complaining about the nerfs, the low dmg ppl are saying we do, i think there are plenty of those threads but as i progress and heal more instances i find myself taking more aggro then i do when i go dps as pyro.
    I mean i take aggro and they stick like super glue.I have the talent that reduces my threat by 80% or so but i cant use it on every pack if we are chain pulling .yesterday we wiped in that lantern instance like at least 3 times bc i had stuff on me that wouldnt go off no matter what the tank did to em .
    I dont know...is it just me? Am i doing something wrong or are others cloro brohers and sisters out there seeing this happen?

Telaran

Sounds like someone used their big heal a little too soon.
    The Chloro big heal is a huge aggro grabber.
    ~Forgotten Heroes~

Our group right now consists of: Warrior tank, Healing cleric, dps cleric that goes healing when needed, Myself as chloro/necro/lock, and a dps tank or dps rogue, depending who is on.

I typically don't use my flourish unless the healer/s need some help. Other than that I just go through my regular damage cycle with spores up and it is plenty of healing to help out. I suppose that if you are using flourish before the tank gets enough aggro built up, that could be your problem.
    Shut your pie hole!!!

Plane Touched

You're always going to be number two on threat unless we get a healing aggro reduction. Honestly, though, you should be supporting the healers, not the other way around. If you're doing so much healing that you're pulling aggro your healers OR your tank is not doing their job.

To me, it sounds like you just had a bad tank.

There is a tank in my guild who never loses aggro, even with many targets, and I am the main healer as a Chloromancer (often the only healer). I have been in pug groups where the tank couldn't hold more than one mob at a time, which generally resulted in me dying a LOT as a squishy.

Having seen the difference between a good tank and a bad tank, I attribute pulling aggro from healing to be the sign of a bad tank.

Rift Disciple

From my experience I think that bosses have to agro pools. One for damage/threat and another for heals. Bosses will pretty much always try and use their crowd control effects or jump across the room smack you and jump back to the tank abilities on the healer. Some bosses will also randomly determine who they hit as well (those are the fights where the more pets that are out, the better).

I run as a Chloro/Dom when I'm in the mood. Dom has memory wipe which reduces threat on a single enemy by 80%. I also have that purple trinket that wipes your threat from all mobs in the area that drops in expert Lantern Hook. I'm used both abilities and bosses still use their cc abilities and jump across the room abilities on me. The tank never looses threat, its just scripted events and my guess is that trion wants healers to have to heal themselves from time to time.

I hope this helps. Be sure to put Living Shell up when they do come for you. It helps.
    Last edited by jayfer; 03-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.

I am halfish Archon so start off with my Consuming Flames shield as a buffer, as well as pre Radiant Spores the pack as a buffer (as well as to save a GCD when combat actually starts). I start off with a longer cast to help the tank establish threat and also because there is no healing that needs to be done yet. I use Volcanic Bomb but a Chloro/Lock could use Vile Spores or Withering Vines but those may create more aggro.

Rant: I ignore the "advice" of many Chloros that suggest throwing up Ruin immediately after Spores because 1.) there is nothing that needs to be healed yet, 2.) it creates threat/hate/aggro, 3.) you waste a potentially helpful heal, 4.) you waste two GCDs if you aren't pre Sporing, and 5.) you can just look at the mob's debuffs to see how long you have on Spores anyway.

Hold on to your real/targeted/normal heals for a while because those bad boys are the real culprit. Having Ruin and Nature's Touch up will help a lot with that, as well as the Archon shield if you have it. I know personally that I have pulled all of the mobs off the tank when I have had to use Essence Surge because I wasn't paying attention.

Make sure if the tank is LoSing that you LoS as well or you WILL get nuked in the face by the casters.

I agree with the above poster, Living Shell is nice not only for mana but for survivability. I also personally take stamina talents for this reason (as well as buffing my Archon shield).

And never, EVER, go into melee range! Our 32 point talent is a death trap!

If the pull has been going on for a while and THEN you pull aggro then your tank is just bad. From my experiences, I have only ever pulled threat when a new mob has been introduced or early on the pull.
    Last edited by Alice Wonderbra; 03-24-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Wonderbra View Post
    If the pull has been going on for a while and THEN you pull aggro then your tank is just bad. From my experiences, I have only ever pulled threat when a new mob has been introduced or early on the pull.
    Or you aren't assisting to attack the current DPS target.

+ Reply to Thread