+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opportunity suggestions (talent tweaks)

Soulwalker

Default Opportunity suggestions (talent tweaks)

Some history. I play a chloromancer, I am level 50, and I have cleared all the expert dungeons on the game except ROTF because I would rather rinse out my mouth with a revolver than go back in there before it gets tweaked (snow particles are lame, only reason). My chloro spec is tweaked a bit but is essentially your typical 30ish points in chloro and 30ish points in warlock.

This post is about the talent opportunity. 10 points into warlock you can have 5/5 opportunity which gives you a 10% chance to have your next spell be instant cast. The talent is great for classes that have spells that take longer than 1.5s to cast. ie. chloro.

currently the skill is slightly buggy in that if you spec a spell down to a 0 second cast time (flourish and bloom) it will still eat the opportunity proc even though it is supposed to only work with spells that have a cast time. This should be an easy fix.

One suggestion I have is to make opportunity selective. Once you pick your spec and save it you can open up your skill list and select which spells you want to eat opportunity procs because it is fairly useless for opportunity to eat a spell with a 1.5 second cast time. The way it works is that if you're chain casting you end up using the opportunity proc before you know you have it because as soon as the spell casts your character is most likely already casting another spell and thus instantly using the opportunity proc before you are aware that it even proc'ed. By being able to select which skills will gobble up that proc you have a little bit more control over the talent.

Another suggestion would be as simple as being notified that the current spell will proc opportunity when you first cast it as long as you finish the cast, this would allow the user a second or 2 to decide which spell to use the proc on instead of it being eaten by your normal rotation on an undesirable spell.

Also i realize there are much more important issues to be fixing, this is just a suggestion I had to make a key mage talent (for some specs) a little less frustrating to use.

Soulwalker

bump. dont bury just yet.

Telaran

i love opportunity. but i like elementals 5% crit and 10% dr more

They also have the same issue with pyro armor procs. If you have oppertunity and insta cast cinderburst available, it uses both these procs.

Should only use pyro armor.
    "This raid needs more squirrel."

Soulwalker

meh 10% damage reduction is negligible because if you're a mage and getting hit in high end pve content, 10% isn't **** and your going to die anyway 99% of the time. also what is your spec? there might not be a reason for you to have opportunity.

edit typos
    Last edited by Dymarr; 03-24-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Telaran

I see what you're getting at. But the suggestion is a little too automated for my tastes.

Soulwalker

thats why i suggested making the notification frontloaded (with the proc itself still being backloaded), it would give the guy behind the keyboard a second or 2 to pick a spell to use, rather than burning the proc before he even knows he got one.

Play your mage smart and carefully and you will not spend opportunity to wrong spells. Hard is not bad. Easy modo is for kids ^_^
    And bloom spending opportunity looks like bug. It will be fixed soon just report it in-game.

Rift Disciple

I think the fix should be an additional UI spell queuing option to allow reactive abilities to cancel any queued actions (and if opportunity isn't classed as reactive then add that to the option to ).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hobboth View Post
    Play your mage smart and carefully and you will not spend opportunity to wrong spells. Hard is not bad. Easy modo is for kids ^_^
    And bloom spending opportunity looks like bug. It will be fixed soon just report it in-game.
    the problem here Hobboth is that any mage worth his cloth drops isnt going to wait inbetween spells, there is ALWAYS something a mage can be doing so if your casting a spell that is over 1.5 seconds it doesnt matter how good you are, the opportunity proc is going to get immediately gobbled up. So far the only work around is to assume that your going to get an opportunity proc every time and que up the spell you want the opportunity to work with, when it doesnt happen, move-cancel the spell and cast the next spell in your original rotations. That of course was a very sarcastic solution and nobody should ever take that seriously.

All my original post suggested is give opportunity a little bit of player control. The way its working right now is nice but uncontrolled.

Rift Disciple

I agree with the author of this article. Nice work Dymarr.

I think the actual issue is that Opportunity doesn't show up until the ability actually hits. This is a problem for Chloro's because most of our abilities are projectiles. By the time Vile Spores or Nature's Touch reaches the target, you've already queued the next ability which consumes that Opportunity before the client has even put it the notification on your buff bar.

I've been playing something similar for expert boss fights lately. 32 Chloro / 22 Necro / 12 Warlock. I'm still not really sure if I like it. Feign Death is useful against buggy bosses who choose to ignore the glacier they just summoned and insta death the tank standing right next to you right through the glacier.

As to Opportunity being consume on instant cast spells, I'm pretty sure they resolved that with one of the last few hotfixes. Last night I was casting Bloom, Flourish, and Blood Binding which are all instant cast spells with out them consuming the Opportunity. In fact I remember getting the Opportunity and then proc a second one off of a Bloom I cast while the first Opportunity was still on me. I suppose it might be a client side issue. You should do a force file check or whatever its called to make sure everything is good on your client.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by jayfer View Post
    I agree with the author of this article. Nice work Dymarr.

I think the actual issue is that Opportunity doesn't show up until the ability actually hits. This is a problem for Chloro's because most of our abilities are projectiles. By the time Vile Spores or Nature's Touch reaches the target, you've already queued the next ability which consumes that Opportunity before the client has even put it the notification on your buff bar.

I've been playing something similar for expert boss fights lately. 32 Chloro / 22 Necro / 12 Warlock. I'm still not really sure if I like it. Feign Death is useful against buggy bosses who choose to ignore the glacier they just summoned and insta death the tank standing right next to you right through the glacier.

As to Opportunity being consume on instant cast spells, I'm pretty sure they resolved that with one of the last few hotfixes. Last night I was casting Bloom, Flourish, and Blood Binding which are all instant cast spells with out them consuming the Opportunity. In fact I remember getting the Opportunity and then proc a second one off of a Bloom I cast while the first Opportunity was still on me. I suppose it might be a client side issue. You should do a force file check or whatever its called to make sure everything is good on your client.
    Its good to hear that opportunity being consumed on instant cast spells might have been fixed but I'll believe it when I see it. Another suggestion I had was to give opportunity charges so if opportunity proc's, you cast an instant cast spell and opportunity proc's again the first proc Isn't wasted, but this can be fixed by just paying attention with your 1.5 second global cooldown so I decided to leave it out of the original list of suggestions.

Also, I'm not telling my spec, but I don't play 32chloro/22necro/12lock. Never tried it to be honest so I'm not saying its good or bad, I will bet it's pretty nice for when you have to cast an early essence surge and everything gets bloodshot eyes and starts running straight for you.

+ Reply to Thread