+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pyromancer Fireball Cast time with 5 pts into Ignition?

Rift Disciple

Default Pyromancer Fireball Cast time with 5 pts into Ignition?

Isn't base Fireball cast time 2.0 seconds and thus with 5 pts into ignition (reducing cast time by 20%) shouldn't the cast time be 1.6 seconds?

I noticed that my tooltip on my ability bar says 1.8 seconds with 5 pts into ignition on the Alpha server, however, the tooltip in the UI where you place the pts into ignition says 1.6 secs. I also noticed this changed when I ranked up fireball to rank 2.

Any ideas if this is just a display bug or a real bug?

Shadowlander

Higher ranks have higher cast times.

The calc on Zam does not reflect this.

I, too, was misled, confused, outraged, then placated.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Esteemed View Post
    Higher ranks have higher cast times.

The calc on Zam does not reflect this.

I, too, was misled, confused, outraged, then placated.
    How high does the cast time go, because it's a pretty long cast time even at rank 2.

All things considered , its still too slow.

Rift Disciple

Yeah it bugs me it slows down at higher ranks, it should be tuned solely on base dmg + coefficient and not have some other balancing attribute tagged on (which doesn't just affect the spell DPS but also it's usefulness on movement fights and the effect of pushback on it).
    Last edited by Fooba; 03-24-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Soulwalker

the reason the first 2-3 ranks are faster is because you don't have many other spells in your arsenal at that point so you need the faster casts to make the gameplay feel quicker (think of it as an introductory thing for new players). once you're at rank 4 or something it evens out to 2.5 seconds (2 with ignitiion).

I don't mind a longer cast time on it, I run 10points in warlock on my build for Opportunity, so the longer the cast time the more bang I get on a proc (although I've been combing through trees to find another spell with a 3+second cast time to blow opportunity on).

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyMonroe View Post
    the reason the first 2-3 ranks are faster is because you don't have many other spells in your arsenal at that point so you need the faster casts to make the gameplay feel quicker (think of it as an introductory thing for new players). once you're at rank 4 or something it evens out to 2.5 seconds (2 with ignitiion).

I don't mind a longer cast time on it, I run 10points in warlock on my build for Opportunity, so the longer the cast time the more bang I get on a proc (although I've been combing through trees to find another spell with a 3+second cast time to blow opportunity on).
    Cinder Burst

Rift Disciple

I've noticed that ingame on the soul-tree window, after putting 5 points into Ignition tooltip on fireball says 1.6 seconds, but when you put cursor over the icon in your ability window it says 2 seconds and the actual cast really is 2 seconds.

Now, either soul-tree has incorrect tooltip info and fireball is suposed to be 2 seconds cast with 5 points in ignition or the fireball spell is bugged and should be cast in 1.6 seconds... Trion should fix this either way because I got unpleasantly surprised when I speced Pyro, got 5 points into ignition, saw 1.6 secs tooltip and then noticed it takes much longer to cast it...

This is something for them to fix, either way...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Asyrin View Post
    Cinder Burst
    Pyromancer's Armour.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyMonroe View Post

Don't you run into the skill queue making you waste Opportunity, because you already have Fireball in Queue?

I thought it was a great spec, too...but I found that Opportunity = Missed Opportunity.

All I ever got was instant fireballs...which are good....but not what I wanted.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    Don't you run into the skill queue making you waste Opportunity, because you already have Fireball in Queue?

I thought it was a great spec, too...but I found that Opportunity = Missed Opportunity.

All I ever got was instant fireballs...which are good....but not what I wanted.
    Or... you know.. turn off the spell queue.

Personally, I tried the spell queue and I ran into problems where the game would execute an ability I had thought I wanted to do, but then something changed an suddenly I needed to do something different, but couldn't.
    Last edited by yewkon; 03-24-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Soulwalker

The thing is so far I can't find a better use of Opportunity than fireball. It's got a base cast time of 2.5seconds and comes with +15% crit chance and burning bright buffs, so it's garunteed to hit harder than any other spell with the same cast time and the only one that is longer is cinder Burst, which will always be on cooldown due to Pyromancer's Armour. I tried looking at a build that used Mage Armour instead and used Opportunity for Cinder Burst but then you limit cinder Burst to one use every ~45 seconds or so for the sake of 5% more damage everywhere else. I've not ran it through a spreadsheet yet since I'm still building my spreadsheet but I'm pretty sure it works out a DPS loss doing this.

What I'm looking for now is a spell that has some other mechanic tied to it that opportunty can take advantage of. The candidates are;
    16 chloro for NT (2.5second cast, nice tank healer buff and you get Entropic veil to stack on internalize charge, though I've not tested if they stack)
    12 elemental summoner for an air elemental, +5% extra crit and opportunity can be blown on crystaline missiles for a pet damage buff. This is actually really poor since on this setup CM is already a 1.5second cast, so opportunity is lost. You could make an argument for using it on lightning strike but fireball would still be better (same co-eff, bonus from Burning Bright).

no, it looks like pyro with 10 in lock doesn't really have much call to use opportunity on anything other than fireball, so effectively it's a 10% chance to increase fireball DPS by 25%, or a 2.5% increase to fireball. Not as attractive as I had thought originally.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by yewkon View Post
    Or... you know.. turn off the spell queue.

Personally, I tried the spell queue and I ran into problems where the game would execute an ability I had thought I wanted to do, but then something changed an suddenly I needed to do something different, but couldn't.
    But then you lose DPS... the spell queue works server side, allowing the time between your spells to be 0. Without the queue, the server will not accept new spellcast requests untill the last one is finished, which effectively increases your cast time by 1/2 your latency.

Soulwalker

what i've been doing to avoid the fireball/opportunity thing is to toss a fireball till wildfire procs, then burn through your flame bolts... half the time opportunity will proc off of one of these, and because flame bolt is instant it doesnt eat your opportunity if you cast an extra one.. then you have time to punch cinder...

that's what im doing at least so far.

Soulwalker

When is cinder off cooldown for this to work?

also, Flame Bolt is lower DPS than fireball due ignition + improved fireball + combust. I actually don't take wildfire in my pyro builds, flame bolt should only be viewed as a mobility talent.
    Last edited by JonnyMonroe; 03-24-2011 at 08:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast