+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Warlock Soul Still Broken

Soulwalker

Default Warlock Soul Still Broken

I went through the 1.1 patch notes and was rather disappointed to see that the primary issue that I have with mages at the moment was not addressed at all. The rolling Chloro nerfs were annoying, as well.

That aside, I honestly don't feel that mages will ever be "fixed" until the Warlock soul is fixed. This has nothing to do with Warlocks in particular; the Warlock soul is simply being used at the moment as the default secondary spec for every mage in the game. The 10% (20% combined) bonus damage buffs from Warlock armor and the Dark Power make it practically impossible for any DPS (and consequently, healing) mage to consider any spec that doesn't involve 30 points of Warlock, severely limiting our choice when it comes to customizing roles.

There should never be a "must have" secondary soul. And certainly not one that requires 30 points to be effective.

Soulwalker

Not to mention the giant pile of other generically useful abilities and talents that are gained along the way.

Telaran

Question becomes whether the warlock soul is too synergetic with other souls, or if the others aren't synergetic enough.

Probably a bit of both.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fail View Post
    Question becomes whether the warlock soul is too synergetic with other souls, or if the others aren't synergetic enough.

Probably a bit of both.
    I'd rate this up if I could.

Shield of Telara

This would be a lot less of a problem if they hadn't nerfed Tempest AND stuck it way down the end of the Elementalist tree in beta.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fail View Post

Probably a bit of both.
    The latter definitely.

All they really needed to do to fix mages was put useful, synergistic abilities in every soul.

Every other class forum has discussions of "x combo is good, but y combo is better" for mages it's "You're total garbage unless you are warlock/x or warlock/y"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Esteemed View Post
    I'd rate this up if I could.
    Agreed. On one hand, if they decide to just take away the 20% damage increase (by making it death spells only or what have you) and fix the other blanket Warlock synergies, they'll have to rebalance the other souls to make up for our sudden lack of DPS again. If they go the other way and make the other souls more synergistic, they'll have to rework Warlock anyway or risk making the Whatever/Warlock specs all the MORE powerful.

Rift Master

I like it that way. Warlock has mana regen, health regen and some cc if you go higher.
    It is the perfect addition to any build with the skills. That makes it valuable not broken or even mandatory - it's a tool to use or not. It's the easy road for a beginner it's a catch all.
    You do sacrifice charge if you expect to heal with it off the charge drain so in a way it reduces the charge skills you could use in other builds. That's a downside to it if you need one.

It's not that it's a must have.
    It's clear coat.
    You choose the color of your vehicle then apply warlock and it glosses it up.

(if you need this explained the color of your vehicle is whatever you do as your main soul, the one you like most)

I, once again, like the neutrality of it - that it doesn't buff a specific damage type in lots of points.
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    It's not that it's a must have.
    It's clear coat.
    You choose the color of your vehicle then apply warlock and it glosses it up.
    (if you need this explained the color of your vehicle is whatever you do as your main soul, the one you like most)

I, once again, like the neutrality of it - that it doesn't buff a specific damage type in lots of points.
    I agree with you right up to the 20% damage increase. 20% damage increase to me does not say "clear coat", it says mandatory.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    [SIZE="4"]It's not that it's a must have.
    It basically is a must have.

There are really only 3 viable mage combos.

chloro/warlock,warlock/x or full pyro.

And by viable i mean mean you'll still probably be the lowest dps besides the tank or a cleric healer, but at least it wont be by as huge of a margin.

There are 8 souls. It really shouldnt be that way.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    It basically is a must have.

There are really only 3 viable mage combos.

chloro/warlock,warlock/x or full pyro.

And by viable i mean mean you'll still probably be the lowest dps besides the tank or a cleric healer, but at least it wont be by as huge of a margin.

as storm i dont agree with that at all you may guess, that those are the only ways to play
    but since im not 50 yet ill have to save my parsing till i can compete with others - doubt anyone cares what a 40 outputs
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-23-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Shadowlander

It is further exacerbated in PVP due to Warlock having so many of the good survivability options, and a nearly complete CC package.

It is already at the point that people will tell you to respec your chloro sub-soul or they won't let you heal.

I still have hope for Chloro/Elem, but Elem was completely bypassed this patch.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Myrianne View Post
    I agree with you right up to the 20% damage increase. 20% damage increase to me does not say "clear coat", it says mandatory.
    see now i haven't even been taking it for that, mostly for the fear and mana and health - i can come out with protecting myself with other skills in other souls that i actually would end up doing more than 20% dmg - since i stay alive
    for ex.
    that skill in the elementalist line that is ignore attacks for up to 690 dmg on a 30s c/d - that type of thing keeps me from having to kite and resort to short casts. i can sit right in a mobs face with it up and plow them with anything, therefore increasing my dps by not forcing me to use short cast skills

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    7 if you don't PvP. I'd trade Dominator for a second healing soul (or ANY soul that also does life damage) any day.

Shadowlander

omg your whine fest is still going on......cmon there is going to be an update where mages are going to benefit from it and you keep whining. Just learn how to play and stop with these stupid comments because even before this update I still own in pvp with my mage !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast