+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pyromancer: Where's the beef?

Telaran

Default Pyromancer: Where's the beef?

Mage ended up being the last class for me to sit down with and as I'm rolling up a Pyromancer, I can't help but notice how overwhelmingly poorly this character performs, even compared to my hybrid Cleric. I don't kill any faster, I'm *always* out of mana (I have an opportunity to write this post as I've OOMed on the Shade of Regulos event and no one else is here) and I die if I'm jumped by more than one mob. This is the only character where that starter water isn't vendor trash. In fact, I'm afraid of running out.

Now I know you can't tell what a class is like from the first couple of levels but this is an awful start. What do I need to do in order to start seeing this as a viable spec?

Rift Disciple

Honestly I tried leveling pyromancer for a while, but its awful. Necro/lock is just superior in every single way, which is really unfun. The problem I have with mages in this game is the lack of control that you see with mages in other games, so you're basically tanking every single mob and you constantly have to drink up unless you're playing necro/lock (or chloro/lock) to soul purge your way to victory.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyPuppy View Post
    Mage ended up being the last class for me to sit down with and as I'm rolling up a Pyromancer, I can't help but notice how overwhelmingly poorly this character performs, even compared to my hybrid Cleric. I don't kill any faster, I'm *always* out of mana (I have an opportunity to write this post as I've OOMed on the Shade of Regulos event and no one else is here) and I die if I'm jumped by more than one mob. This is the only character where that starter water isn't vendor trash. In fact, I'm afraid of running out.

Now I know you can't tell what a class is like from the first couple of levels but this is an awful start. What do I need to do in order to start seeing this as a viable spec?
    Pair it with a warlock soul to get the Sacrifice Life: Mana spell? Or just plain don't bother with pyromancer soul.
    -Sart (Dayblind - PvP)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sarturos View Post
    Pair it with a warlock soul to get the Sacrifice Life: Mana spell?
    This helps a lot. Honestly though, pyro isn't really made for solo pve. Sure, you eventually get the ability to root one mob for a few seconds. But it isn't enough. For soloing, pet classes are soooooo much easier. Save the pyro role for when you get into a group and aren't constantly under attack. It's pretty fun!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Draconax View Post
    Honestly I tried leveling pyromancer for a while, but its awful. Necro/lock is just superior in every single way, which is really unfun. The problem I have with mages in this game is the lack of control that you see with mages in other games, so you're basically tanking every single mob and you constantly have to drink up unless you're playing necro/lock (or chloro/lock) to soul purge your way to victory.
    I suppose I'll give Necro/Warlock a shot as soon as I am able to. Thank you for the heads up.

When you get a bit bigger, Necro/Pyro will prove to be fun and a quick way to level up! Is both a good solo PvE option and group DPS option! I use it for PvP occasionally too, and have hit 2nd highest damage and healing with top finishing kills by double. Its just a nice jack-of-all-trades build, and is my main build at 47, and has been since probably 30-ish. I wish I had considered it sooner.

If you find yourself in an area a bit too hard to survive in with this build, switch to Necro/Chloro, use the tank pet to hold aggro, and run like a 2 person group. Slower kills but higher survivability. I would say appropriate if you're fighting mobs 3+ levels above you. 2 or less the pyro build should work well.

You aren't wearing chain. You need to bring a pet to take the hits for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

I love my pyro/elemental mage, my max crit with cinder burst is now 1500, dealing 700-900 damage with fireball, i dunno about you but im tearing people up with the pyro
    When i die, i want to go like my grandfather did, in his sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Plane Touched

Pyro is great at 40+ (44+ for pvp).

Telaran

I've Crit on my Pyro/Ele with CB for about 3000 so far, can't wait to see it in the new changes

Soulwalker

I solo leveled to 30 so far as a pyro/warlock(just 10 points in this)/elementalist(0 points) and it has been fine for me. Tried necro/warlock but it was just so boring.

Soulwalker

Default Pyro leveling

You can level as Pyro, it's not that bad. I am 45th now, and I am Pyro/Lock with 45/15 pts respectively. Until the mid-30s I used 0pt Elementalist for the pet but I will warn you the pet becomes almost useless by the late 30s on if you are not spending any points in the tree (your pet will cap out at 30th level).

Now I use Chloro 0pt. for the 3rd tree. Single mobs are really easy. When there's 2 I just root one on the way in and put radiant spores on it and then DPS right through the 2nd mob's damage. If there's 3, same thing but I keep fear on the 3rd one. More than 3? You're basically running away, or you're dead ;).

If you don't like the risk you can go with 0pt. Dominator as 3rd tree, squirrel-pull for duos, and squirrel + fear for trios.

Plane Touched

Don't level Pyro. At least not until much later on (40+ sounds about right). Even then Necro is better.

Soulwalker

Default Leveling Pyro

Quote Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
    Don't level Pyro. At least not until much later on (40+ sounds about right). Even then Necro is better.
    Nothing wrong with leveling Pyro. If you intend on Pyro being your main spec, you'll be better at being a Pyro at the end of it if you do. Unless of course you are on a critical deadline to reach 50; but there's no reason to be since MMOs are about the journey and not the destination.

Consuming all the content too quickly is a mistake that MMO players make over and over and over again. Then they talk about the good old days ;)...
    Last edited by Strega; 03-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Plane Walker

pyro is awful in both pve and pvp until 44.

low damage, low survivability, low burst.
    Last edited by zeroburrito; 03-27-2011 at 06:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast