+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I lvling wrong as Necro? Should I be using Warlock DD instead?

Telaran

Default Am I lvling wrong as Necro? Should I be using Warlock DD instead?

So im trying to figure out the fastest way for leveling as Necro/Lock. Im 21 now and just got Knight / Zealot, not really sure which one of those is best for leveling with either. Anyway, so far I have just been pulling mobs with Necrosis/Looming Dark/Dark Touch, while having pet beat on them and spamming PlagueBolt. Am I doing something wrong, or is there an easier/faster/more effcient way of leveling?

A guildy told me I shouldnt even be using dots or Plague bolt, even though I am full Necro with extra points into warlock. He said just use the Knight, have it attack something then spam Void Bolt and DPSing it down that way without even using Plague Bolt or Dots. But that seems a little weird since most of the pet dmg + talents are based around Plague Bolts deathly calling debuffs, as well as Necrosis/Looming Darkness.

So, am I just a big noob and he is right, or is there another way I should be leveling or? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated as I am on my level 50 grind and just want to get there ASAP!!!

Thanks!!!

Rift Disciple

I should post my necro/warlock build.

Necrosis, Dark touch, plague bolt are important. I wouldn't put points into plague bolt until later. There are other skills both in Warlock and Necro that are far more important for the time being. Use your AOE for the debuff stacks (plague bolt later when you have Opportunity).

Void bolt is not important.

Soul Purge is your main skill. Everything you do will be to increase charge and use this skill which comes later. The crappy thing about Necro is that you suck pretty much until you get Soul Purge.

The Knight is your Tanking pet, Rogue is your Melee DPS pet and later you get a caster pet for AOE and fighitng casters (cause it interrupts).

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by explicitsaint View Post
    I should post my necro/warlock build.

Necrosis, Dark touch, plague bolt are important. I wouldn't put points into plague bolt until later. There are other skills both in Warlock and Necro that are far more important for the time being. Use your AOE for the debuff stacks (plague bolt later when you have Opportunity).

Void bolt is not important.

Soul Purge is your main skill. Everything you do will be to increase charge and use this skill which comes later. The crappy thing about Necro is that you suck pretty much until you get Soul Purge.

The Knight is your Tanking pet, Rogue is your Melee DPS pet and later you get a caster pet for AOE and fighitng casters (cause it interrupts).
    I beg to differ. Void bolt is way better for damage than plague bolt. at 40 void bolt easily does 50% more damage than plague bolt and it casts 25% faster.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by jereome View Post
    I beg to differ. Void bolt is way better for damage than plague bolt. at 40 void bolt easily does 50% more damage than plague bolt and it casts 25% faster.
    Yeahs thats what a guildy was telling me. However, so many talents in Necro get synergy boosted dmg from the Deathly Calling stacks that come from Plague Bolt. So over all, im not sure which is better to use, or atleast which is better to use while leveling =/

Rift Disciple

I leveled as necro/lock, and I personally run with the zealot, as its dps is *so* much higher than the knight that it cleaves through mobs very quickly, and can actually hold threat for a decent amount of time simply due to its huge damage. Generally I pull 2-3 mobs, dot them up with necrosis, DT, and maybe life leech, drop grave rot, then start to soul purge or devouring shadows (if you're deep enough into warlock). I very very rarely actually cast plague bolt (I use grave rot for DC stacks).

The only time I ever use the knight is for tanking elites in rifts.

Champion

at 22 pick up feign death then stop putting points into necro until you have 30 in lock

continue to use the knight for a while. pull with plague bolt, drop necrosis and looming demise then spam void bolt or use soul purge if more than 80 focus. turn off the knight's aoe taunt - manually use it. this is because like grave touch it consumes a deathly calling stack to do damage, but it does nowhere near the damage of grave touch.

play like this until you have the 30 in lock, then flesh out the rest in necro. once you have the bone shatter talent maxed flip to the revenant and tank for your pet. you'll kill faster but occaisonally have more downtime.

you arent doing it wrong. you should have 6 points i your secondary soul at level 21, 3 o which should be in improved void bolt. dont bother with putting any points into life leech until you have 31 necro/30 lock as having those talents are more of a quality of life thing for expert dungeon dps

Plane Touched

I wouldn't bother with void bolt or the talent to reduce it's cast time. Soul purge is available pretty early, and completely replaces the bolt spells. I generally just toss one plague bolt for the extra charge after casting all DoT's, and then finish the mob off with soul purge. By the time ya hit 30 most single target spells will feel more like a waste of time.

Pull 3 or 4 mobs with a necrosis or other instant spell, drop grave rot, and start spamming devouring shadows. If health gets low, use mortality or soul purge. It works incredibly well, even without points in chloro for the soon-to-be-nerfed aoe spores. After lvl 20 or so, the bolts are just filler for when you need charge and DoT's are already up.

Rift Disciple

Yes you are totally correct. However, you're *not* doing the major damage, your pet is. Plague bolt isn't about it's casting damage, it's about your *Pets*. Death calling is applied by your AOE and Plague bolt. The more death calling, the more damage your pet does.

Putting points into a spell you usually don't cast will only cause you not to have points elsewhere. For instances, more health, higher dot damage out put, spell crits, etc...

Void Bolt is Warlock not necro. If Necro is your main spec, do not put points into Void Bolt.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
    I wouldn't bother with void bolt or the talent to reduce it's cast time. Soul purge is available pretty early, and completely replaces the bolt spells. I generally just toss one plague bolt for the extra charge after casting all DoT's, and then finish the mob off with soul purge. By the time ya hit 30 most single target spells will feel more like a waste of time.

Pull 3 or 4 mobs with a necrosis or other instant spell, drop grave rot, and start spamming devouring shadows. If health gets low, use mortality or soul purge. It works incredibly well, even without points in chloro for the soon-to-be-nerfed aoe spores. After lvl 20 or so, the bolts are just filler for when you need charge and DoT's are already up.
    This guys is correct. Also opportunity is useful for Plague Bolt. Don't get suckered into the Void Bolt. It's useless for your Necro spec. Warlock spec is only for increased damage, survivability, opportunity and some root spells.

Rift Disciple

Yes you are totally correct. However, you're *not* doing the major damage, your pet is. Plague bolt isn't about it's casting damage, it's about your *Pets*. Death calling is applied by your AOE and Plague bolt. The more death calling, the more damage your pet does.

Putting points into a spell you usually don't cast will only cause you not to have points elsewhere. For instances, more health, higher dot damage out put, spell crits, etc...

Void Bolt is Warlock not necro. If Necro is your main spec, do not put points into Void Bolt.
    This is technically true, but really there should be very few times when you need/want to cast either bolt. Grave Rot stacks DC faster and easier, and I'm pretty sure does more damage too (unless you're speced 5/5 deadly plague, which I am not). Stick to stacking dots/looming demise, using GR on cd, and soul purge your way to glory. I pull very good dps in dungeons doing just that.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Draconax View Post
    This is technically true, but really there should be very few times when you need/want to cast either bolt. Grave Rot stacks DC faster and easier, and I'm pretty sure does more damage too (unless you're speced 5/5 deadly plague, which I am not). Stick to stacking dots/looming demise, using GR on cd, and soul purge your way to glory. I pull very good dps in dungeons doing just that.
    I agree. I only have extra points into plague bolt to get to 44 points for Deaths Grasp. The other reason I use Plague Bolt is for charges so Soul Purge is ready faster (since it does 14 charges plus the increase from the multiplier in Warlock). That's why I suggested it later on versus at lower level.

I have to agree. I have parsed both abilities, and a void bolt with three points in it will yield much better dps.

Shadowlander

I agree. I only have extra points into plague bolt to get to 44 points for Deaths Grasp. The other reason I use Plague Bolt is for charges so Soul Purge is ready faster (since it does 14 charges plus the increase from the multiplier in Warlock). That's why I suggested it later on versus at lower level.
    Looking at the numbers, I'm tempted to use talented VB and just GR on CD for DC stacks.

My question: Why are you 44 in Necro? Anything past 31 looks to me like PVP and situational AE talents, neither of which is a strength of a pet class. (I know Necros are able to do some damage in WFs, but that's in large part due to EL and dotting, not killing power or control, both of which are more available through Warlock synergy.) Lich Form and EtC look like redeeming qualities for PVP, but again, I'm not certain that's your intent.

Void Bolt also generates 15 charge, like Plague Bolt. But I can definitely see why you might want more charge--more SP, especially if you're PVPing. Although the graphic does attract some attention.

+ Reply to Thread