+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Over, is rolling a Mage worth it?

Telaran

Default Starting Over, is rolling a Mage worth it?

I had made a cleric and leveled them to 50 mainly going heals for t1 instances. My guild now wants to change servers...=/

I enjoyed my cleric and I enjoy healing, it's what I like to do in MMOs. My problem is I really don't want to level another cleric. I am willing to wait the 6 months to a year for server transfers to hopefully come out.

In the mean time I was thinking of rolling a mage. Most players in my guild are rogues and warriors of course, so I wanted to fill a different roll. I am not a big fan of dps, and was looking into 51 Archon and 51 Chloromancer, for raiding, and t1 and t2 dungeons.

Been reading forums and besides the "nerf warriors" thread and the occasional "mages are bugged", are they still fun to play? Do you enjoy your mage or do you wish you picked another class?

Are mages worth it or should i just level my cleric again?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Juneaux View Post
    I had made a cleric and leveled them to 50 mainly going heals for t1 instances. My guild now wants to change servers...=/

I enjoyed my cleric and I enjoy healing, it's what I like to do in MMOs. My problem is I really don't want to level another cleric. I am willing to wait the 6 months to a year for server transfers to hopefully come out.

In the mean time I was thinking of rolling a mage. Most players in my guild are rogues and warriors of course, so I wanted to fill a different roll. I am not a big fan of dps, and was looking into 51 Archon and 51 Chloromancer, for raiding, and t1 and t2 dungeons.

Been reading forums and besides the "nerf warriors" thread and the occasional "mages are bugged", are they still fun to play? Do you enjoy your mage or do you wish you picked another class?

Are mages worth it or should i just level my cleric again?

I would NOT level a cleric again to be honest with you. Like you said server Xfers will come out within 6 months or so. With the way this game is Set up it would be very silly to make a cleric again because well you cleric on the other server can already be anything in the cleric line up. That being said Chlo/arch is pretty fun. When I play the mage class in general I feel like im playing a piano my fingers are all over the place so it will keep you entertained. From what I have seen chlor does pretty decent in dungeons. thats just my 2 cents =)

51 Archon
    Yes.

51 Chloromancer
    No. Chloro pairs better with ~31 chloro and ~30 lock/dom

Mages are still very fun, pvp can be frustrating at times though. You have so many options on what you choose to bring to a group as a mage. However, I do not recommended leveling as chloro. Most go necro/lock with a chloro spec for instances while leveling. There are a few options though.
    CT-Mage, Guardian Natural Faemist

Champion of Telara

Honestly, until we know what class balance changes are coming, it is premature to say whether rolling a Mage iwill be worth it.

From the sneak preview, it looks like they are moving Chloro from main healer to off healer. While they indicate we will be seeing more dps, we don't know how much.

So, it would be a guess right now.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

I frankly got bored playing my rogue so I thought hard about what to try next. Got another Cleric up a bit and then was reminded how somewhat boring they were too then tried a series of mage builds yet again. I always gave up in the past with mages.

I came across a Necro/Elemental (just to get crit, shield, enhanced lightning/Exposure) with most points into Necro and two roles one with Dom and another with Warlock as second main soul.

All I have to say is: pretty damn fun! I love the self heals from Necro and the ability to spot heal others. I get my dots and debuffs off and slam off a heavy hitting lightning strike on cooldown (Dom soul build will have talents for +50% with exposure +7% and the large bonus to crit ... cheap move to squirrel and then mega-slam after but pretty sure the damage will be fun ).

It is a little bit of a slow burn down build but I often take on 3-5 mobs on pulls at once and managing it all is bloody fun and I also get massive contribution on rifts with the aoe dps and heals combines. Pet off tanking is amazing as well with soul purge (god I hope that doesn't get nerfed lol ).

Anyway, point is I discovered why even though mages are considered the weakest class the reason why so many still play them is that they are very rewarding and often challenging. I speak primarily pve but another benefit to mage is the spectrum of interesting souls. I tend to only like a few souls in each of the other classes. I find nearly all mage souls interesting (even if underpowered with some atm).

Consider me a convert.

+ Reply to Thread