+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could use some tuteledge with my warlock.

Rift Disciple

Default Could use some tuteledge with my warlock.

Preface: I'm looking constructive criticism so if you're the type to waste someone's time with childish responses to get attention please let me save you the effort. I'm a dad and i'm very skilled at ignoring children and childish things.

Also if you would like to keep your advice private a PM is also welcomed. Thank you.

I am having some diffuculty acclimating to my warlock. I have rolled on the Reclaimer server and my name is shaede (hello). I am currently level 20.

Part of it is me. I play Inquisitor as a main and what works well for inquisitor translates to very bad habits with a warlock.

Right now I am WAR/arc/arch. My plan is to eventually try WAR/chl/arc and WAR51pts/arch/arc (the latter just to see all the root powers). I have been maxing warlock so that I develope good survival techniques and habits before I start benefiting from chloros healing. I recognize i'd be more durable if I was war10 and chl16.

For now i'm just pvp'ing in warfronts. I don't think i'll engage in open world much until 24 and I imagine i'm gaining favor at a much higher rate in warfronts, effectively "saving" up for pvp gear up to 24, maybe even 30.

My build focus is on my DoT's and my End. When I can put enough into chloro i'll can add "manipulation of health" as my third focus.

tactics wise, generically speaking, I use pillaging stone for my opp procs unless I feel I need to stack another DoT, then i'll go with life-leech. This will change to vile spores eventually but that is not here and now. I did take draining bolt. Not as a survival tool but for extra burst damage when I need to gun down a bard, cleric, or just someone being healed.

Black garden has been ok. I tend to assume an 'assist' role as I can quickly stack DoT's on my teammates opponents to give them an edge. Or fear 2 on 1 situations. I burst down when the situation is appropriate. In black garden I feel my primary function is AoE'ing the fang when it drops so that i can interrupt their team while mine goes in and grabs the fang (hopefully). When an individual singles me out I detaunt and ignore them, so that I may keep doing 'my job'. This has worked well and only fails when i'm getting ganged up on, but what can you do about that besides rely on others to help.

Once I got into codex I am finding my inquisitor habits wreaking havoc on my contribution. I am having a hard time handling 1 vs. 1 and 2 vs. 1 situations. I don't seem to have any solid answers on how to manage a melee class in these scenarios either. I am guessing I run and cast instants until I proc opp so I can get a snare out while on the move. it seems a sub-optimal solution however. standing on the outcropping to cast spells bothers me. I feel like i'm limiting myself on what I can do. I feel i'm in a vulnerable position whether i'm up there or on the ground. I prefer to be on the ground but i have noticed my survivability goes down when i'm there.

I am also having a hell of a time with pets. Inqusitor its easy to vex them, toss a heal if needed and then ignore them. With the warlock they are a very real threat and I absolutely *hate* devoting time to kill them, as I feel its a non-constructive endeavor.

I am struggling with Mortality. I have been trying to find an effective way to use it offensively and when i do that It doesn't end well. I don't mind dying if I'm taking 2+ with me, but i'm not seeing that. Should I be reserving this for defensive situations or do I need to shelve using this in an offensive manner until I fill out cholor?

I am open to any intelligently supplied suggestion(s), and thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tool View Post

My build focus is on my DoT's and my End. When I can put enough into chloro i'll can add "manipulation of health" as my third focus.
    First of all, you are starting out being only half good at something. Being partially warlock and partially cholo means you aren't great at either. So if you are trying to do damage, you aren't great, and if you are dotting you aren't being full chloro. You are just in a grey area that isn't great at anything. Pick either to do lots of damage, or focus more on chloro healing and cc.

tactics wise, generically speaking, I use pillaging stone for my opp procs unless I feel I need to stack another DoT, then i'll go with life-leech. This will change to vile spores eventually but that is not here and now. I did take draining bolt. Not as a survival tool but for extra burst damage when I need to gun down a bard, cleric, or just someone being healed.
    This by itself doesn't seem too alarming, but you are already sounding like you are really trying to utilize all the abilties of the 3 souls and generally speaking, this means you are spreading yourself out too thin. This isn't always true as some people can pull this off.

Black garden has been ok. I tend to assume an 'assist' role as I can quickly stack DoT's on my teammates opponents to give them an edge. Or fear 2 on 1 situations. I burst down when the situation is appropriate. In black garden I feel my primary function is AoE'ing the fang when it drops so that i can interrupt their team while mine goes in and grabs the fang (hopefully). When an individual singles me out I detaunt and ignore them, so that I may keep doing 'my job'. This has worked well and only fails when i'm getting ganged up on, but what can you do about that besides rely on others to help.
    This is an okay support strategy role if that is how you like to play. This might be personal preference but I feel that a stronger focused role is better, either kill people as fast as you can, or be pure support cc/healing. Being in the middle means you aren't being totally effective at any role.

Once I got into codex I am finding my inquisitor habits wreaking havoc on my contribution. I am having a hard time handling 1 vs. 1 and 2 vs. 1 situations. I don't seem to have any solid answers on how to manage a melee class in these scenarios either. I am guessing I run and cast instants until I proc opp so I can get a snare out while on the move. it seems a sub-optimal solution however. standing on the outcropping to cast spells bothers me. I feel like i'm limiting myself on what I can do. I feel i'm in a vulnerable position whether i'm up there or on the ground. I prefer to be on the ground but i have noticed my survivability goes down when i'm there.
    This is the problem with having a 3 soul split, you don't go really deep into any soul to get the good stuff. If you like cc and lock, I would go down dominator and you will have many more answers in 1v1 situations, or at worst you can just sheep them and run back to your comrades.

I am also having a hell of a time with pets. Inqusitor its easy to vex them, toss a heal if needed and then ignore them. With the warlock they are a very real threat and I absolutely *hate* devoting time to kill them, as I feel its a non-constructive endeavor.
    Sadly, most classes you will have to deal with pets, if you ignore them, you can be used as a hp battery for the necro with essence link... you don't want that. You have to either kill the owner or deal with the pet. Believe me you dont want essence link on you and that necro getting free health from you for 60 seconds.

I am struggling with Mortality. I have been trying to find an effective way to use it offensively and when i do that It doesn't end well. I don't mind dying if I'm taking 2+ with me, but i'm not seeing that. Should I be reserving this for defensive situations or do I need to shelve using this in an offensive manner until I fill out cholor?

If part of your battle strategy is to use mortality, you are doing something wrong. You should never be in the middle of a lot of enemies doing a channeled aoe, that is just asking to die. Mortality's only place in pvp is when you either are going to die and want to do some damage before you go, or you completely outmatch the opposition and are just trying to rack up damage. Do not force the use of mortality or you will regret it.

With that being said, you can use mortality in a 1v1 situation when you are fighting another pet class to get double the health back, just make sure to stun or cc the other person so they dont immediately knock you out of it.

It sounds to me you haven't really found your place as a mage. You need to pick 1 or two souls and go deeper into them. If you like the support role, I would focus more on either a dominator or a chloro then find a 2nd soul to help augment those two. If you like a dps role, right now you will need to either go necro/lock or pyro/lock. At your level pyro really isnt that good so I would go necro/lock if you want to dps.

tl;dr : Pick a soul, if its warlock..then go warlock until its maxed for your level. The dump the additional points into a tree that would support the main tree...(i.e...warlock/necro for increased death damage). Here is a build i used when i was around lvl 20. But i leveled all the way to 50 as lock and then build changed every 10 levels. Mostly because you out level the necro pet. You can get the idea, you can be the jack of all trades, but master of none.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwvI.x0z.fxoIko
    Rezzistance -Seastone/Defiant Mage
    Rezzist - Seastone/Defiant Rogue
    MeatyCurtains - Seastone/Guardian Rogue

Rift Disciple

I am maxed at warlock, as i've said.

Every point I place into warlock leans me toward DoT damage. I don't see how I can improve upon DoT damage without choosing more DoT's with my other souls or outright leveling. the reason I chose to try chloro and archon was because I can gain more DoT's while also grabbing skills that compliment warlocks apparent focus on beafing up their HP's and maintaining them via the manipulation of health. I'm not saying that works per se i'm just saying that's why i'm headed in that direction.

I'm afraid I don't see how a modicum amount of points in chloro has you doing anything different then what you already do as a warlock. You take the "hurt them heal me" theme and stack some heals and even more endurance on top of it. Perhaps i'm missing something.

I very much appreciate the response(s), but I was hoping for more practical advice perhaps with some conceptual.

Soulwalker

I'm afraid I don't see how a modicum amount of points in chloro has you doing anything different then what you already do as a warlock. You take the "hurt them heal me" theme and stack some heals and even more endurance on top of it. Perhaps i'm missing something.

I may be wrong, but lot's of the chloro's usefullness comes from Lifegiving Veil and you have to be casting Life dmg spells for it to work.

By putting points in Necro, not only do you get Death's Ally which increases your death dmg (Warlock spells), but you also get another DEath dmg dot called Necrosis. You said you wanted more dots, so why not grab one from a tree that's in the same school of magic. Might find more synergy that way. Dont forget Flesh Rot to make Necrosis even better if you choose to go that route.

I understand wanting to use chloro for the heals, but from my experience chloro really shines as a single target healer by use of synthesis, and that is synergistic with Lifegiving Veil in which you must cast Life dmg spells for it to work, and unless your rotation of dmging spells consists of all Life spells, the healing you output is not gonna be remarkable, or even noticeable in a fight. Not that Radiant Spores isnt cool but you dont need any points in chloro to get that one.
    Last edited by Asap; 03-23-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Soulwalker

Sorry, I didnt read the tooltip correctly. Other schools of magic are affected by Lifegiving Veil, just not as much. Aha.

Honestly, I would dump chloro.

The most effective pvp build I found until the 40-49 bracket was Lock/Necro/Dom.

My build. Necro 21(for pet upgrade, pre 30 just up until soul purge)
    Dom 2 ( Just for the knocback and spammable Neural Prod)
    Lock Whatever you have left.

With this build. Best I have performed is killing a 3war vs 1me. You get alot of tools. Mobility is the key. Kiting with Dots and NP until you get procs to Wither/Fear and Purge, or squirell a secondary target. Only thing I really missed was a stun breaker. But you have enough survivability a warrior isnt going to stunlock kill you.

I didnt upgrade Life Leech, I rarely use it. Only if I get an Opp proc and have nothing better to cast. The life gain is minimal as is the damage. You will get enough life back between Essence and Purge in the lower brackets. In the 30s you will have access to life shift and opens up a whole new ballgame. As for Mortality, dont use it much.

Also with this build, you get a Drop and forget AE from Lock and a Channeled AE from Necro. Good for Aeing that fang or a flag in Codex.

+ Reply to Thread