+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What if ground of strength was removed?

Telaran

Default What if ground of strength was removed?

What would you like to see it replaced with?

I'm sure trion has their own idea as to what they want for each soul and players may or may not agree to it, but i'd like to see what kind of ideas mages can come up with if you were asked what should replace it.

I'm thinking since a pyromancer is all about burning things with flames, I'd think it should be replaced with a ground that while standing in it does fire damage to any enemies within 10M, exact numbers would defenitly need to be examined and tweaked, but the general idea is there.

I'm trying to make a constructive post for ideas instead of another whine post, which btw, i'd say the 3 souls(not classes) in my sig are over powered.

What if.....?

Oh wait this conversation will go on for eternity.

SPC Christopher Loyd - Radar Technician - 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment

Operation Iraqi Freedom 09-10 (Yes, I PvP in real life)

Deskside Support Technician II - Community Healthcare Services - chs.net

Oh look another whine post.

Ascendant

what if ground of strength could only proc once every 6s(or some other appropriate length of time) per target hit?

that would probably be like...balanced, and then we could keep the CC immunity and damage reduction, so that a warrior cant necessarily herp derp all over us for an entire warfront. its not like pyros(9% less max hp) really need to get less survivability.

uh.... if GoS was removed.... i'd want it replaced with.... well certainly not a PvP based spell, because if GoS was removed then there would be no mage soul capapable of decently PvP'ing....

oh i know, how about armor of strength? does the same thing but you dont have to stand in a little circle!

Ascendant

and to answer the original question, if it was removed entirely, i'd like to see a mass reduction in cast times across the board for mages so we can use casted abilities without needing GoS, heatwave, pyromancers armor, or opportunity. because i really dont enjoy running around using 150 damage a tick dots while waiting on 10% procs.

When Ground of Strength gets toned down, I would like to at least see the following.

Combust - Changed to apply a dot effect on any fire spell upon critical hits.

Wildfire - Changed to now add a Disorienting effect that breaks on 5% damage taken to Flame Jet, and increases the cooldown to compensate. (Flame Jet is useless right now.)

Ground of Strength - Changed to now reduce damage taken while under the effects of crowd control by 50%, and all damaging spells while standing in Ground of Strength reduce the cooldown on the Pyromancer's crowd control abilities by 5 seconds per cast.

Withering Flames - Increased damage per tick and channel duration.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-23-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

What if we looked all the way into the year 2000

They'd replace ground of strength with something else similar in design. Hopefully one that may gain bonuses from the +groundofpower trait. Like all attacks have a chance to put on a DoT that stacks 5 times or something? Maybe a "burn" that means anytime they use an ability they take fire damage or something.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Plane Touched

Add Ground of Somewhatbalancedness:

- 30% dmg reduction
    - CC immunity
    - 30 second cooldown

Plane Touched

They can do whatever with GoS, IDK

I can do fine without it.

Don't get me wrong, GoS is great, but it promotes a playstyle that is completely counter to the basic fundementals of playing a mage, which is movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, GoS is great, but it promotes a playstyle that is completely counter to the basic fundementals of playing a mage, which is movement.
    Says who? Who is to decide that? If I think a ranged moving class I think a Ranger, not a Mage. I believe WoW has fouled the concept of Mage PvP and turned it into something more akin to archer classes.

I mean, you didn't see Gandalf bunnyhopping through Mordor blasting away with instant cast spells.

That said, I don't quite think Mages should sit still and be turrets either. Every class should have to move a bit, but I would rather the Mage not be a kiter and instead actually be able to stand and get some casts off if someone even glances at him.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

A buff that does the same thing, but you can move around.

On a serious note...

Just make it a buff but exclude CC immunity.

You get damage reduction, and can move...but you can be silenced and all that.

It would make Pyro more dynamic and fun to play, but manageable like any other mage.

Give them a separate buff for CC immunity, but no damage reduction.

You choose one or the other, but you can at least move around.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    A buff that does the same thing, but you can move around.

On a serious note...

Just make it a buff but exclude CC immunity.

You get damage reduction, and can move...but you can be silenced and all that.

It would make Pyro more dynamic and fun to play, but manageable like any other mage.

Give them a separate buff for CC immunity, but no damage reduction.

You choose one or the other, but you can at least move around.

have you played a mage?

Because moving around is not one of the things we're allowed to do because of long cast times.

two - damage reduction is meaningless if a warrior can still charge, stun and kill us in oh.. now 4 seconds instead of 3

The CC immunity with being able to move with no damage reduction I would be fine with, if it works and prevents all CC. GoS doesn't protect against all CC.

Quote Originally Posted by yewkon View Post
    have you played a mage?

Because moving around is not one of the things we're allowed to do because of long cast times.
    yes.

And that depends entirely on the what mage you are playing.

..and we are talking about Pyro, right? Do you play Pyro?

Most Pyro spells are instant.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    yes.

And that depends entirely on the what mage you are playing.

..and we are talking about Pyro, right? Do you play Pyro?

Most Pyro spells are instant.
    countdown has a cooldown, fulminate has a cooldown, pyromancers armor is a proc, inferno has a cooldown and a conditional, flame bolt has a cooldown, fireball and cinder have cast times minus the pyro armor procs. withering flames and firestorm are channeled, backdraft has a cast time(albiet a short one)

so we have 4 true instant abilities, and an instant proc, you could spec opportunity for another instant proc. all of those abilities have cooldowns. The only way to actually spam instant casts is AFTER casting a fireball and getting a 30% proc, which means you stood still for 2s or had a lucky proc(i say lucky because you are relying on instant casts with a cooldown or the warlock spammable dot to proc opportunity)

[edit] oh right, flame jet is instant...were you using that past level 30?
    Last edited by Caldern; 03-23-2011 at 11:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast