+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remembrance of Mages Past

Soulwalker

Default Remembrance of Mages Past

I joined Rift during its last beta, and naturally I rolled a mage and gave him a name that I'd grown attached to, a name I'd used in many other MMOs. As I tried to level him up, I found that he took a long time to kill mobs and that he died alot, I mean alot. I found myself switching to the other mage souls to attempt to find one that was viable, and as they too turned out to be the same, I found myself contemplating quiting the game.

Which makes perfect sense. If the mage is my primary interface between myself and the game world, and the mage takes too long to kill mobs, dies alot, leaves you feeling afraid of moving through the game world, then the game world itself will seem no fun.

With Time on my hands and time left on my first free 30days, I tried the Rogue souls, Marksman, Assassin, Nightblade. And then I tried the Warrior souls, Champion, Reaver. The difference was astounding. the game became fun! I began to move through the game world confident that I could handle pulling 3 or 4 mobs by mistake.

As I read the other complaints on the forums about the mage souls, and as I comtemplated my own experiences, I began to realize that I had had this same experience quite some time ago.

When I first began playing Ultima Online I rolled a Mage, certain that if there was a most powerful class in the game, it was the mage class. As his skill in magery increased and I began looking for mobs that dropped decent loot, I began to discover that the mage in UO wasn't all that powerful after all. As a matter of fact, in PvE they were near useless. Every mob in the game worth fighting could dispel with ease the mages most powerful weapons, his elementals.
    While fighting say a Drake, a mere Drake, amid the crackle of the fire-elementals fire and the roars of the Drake, you would suddenly hear a "BINK" sound, which meant that the Drake had dispelled the Fire-elemental, which meant that now the mage must fight and run at the same time.
    To defeat, say, a dragon, you had to summon Energy Vortex over and over again, try to conserve as much mana as you could, which meant you got to cast almost no spells yourself, and hope the dragon didn't dispel both Energy Vortex and target you, because once a dragon targeted you in was Insta-Death.

I was also on the verge of quiting Ultima Online, when I decided that if I can't beat the dragons as a Mage, then I'll beat the dragons with a dragon, and I rolled an Animal Tamer. And again, the difference was astounding. Dungeons I was afraid to take my mage into were too easy for my Animal-tamer with his pet dragon. As a matter of fact, all the dungeons (in existence when I first started playing) were too easy for an animal-tamer with a dragon.

With more experience in playing Ultima Online I came to see that the mage had been reduced from the near omnipotent being he was in fantasy novels to a mere utility class in the game. His primary function wasn't killing the toughest creatures in the game world as he would in a fantasy novel, but in marking runes and opening portals in order to travel from place to place with ease.
    (How's that for Downsizing?!)

And in all the years that I've played Ultima Online the producers of the game have never increased the mages power. they've never given him a 9th circle of spells. Never done anything to make him the powerful class that everyone expects him to be. He remains a Utility class.

My recollection of Mages in UO

Plate Wearing PKs and Corp Por filling my screen left and right!
    Gnume, Dwarven Mage

A quick description of sorc in eq2: godly at everything. Except healing =(

Rift Disciple

yea we don't even have portals in rift.

Champion of Telara

DAOC: Stun, nuke, nuke, nuke, QQ.
    DAOC pro: Nuke, stun, nuke, nuke, QQ.
    WAR: 1-2-3-4-dead.
    WoW: Ice block, blink, root, root, root, ice block, root, blink, ice block, I'M STILL DANCING I'M STILL DANCING.

Soulwalker

Daoc: Bonedancer, Animist, and Necro. Thats how you make unique and fun mages Trion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnume View Post

You're now ready to PVP Warriors in Rift.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gnume View Post

^^ This. Everyone I knew played mages in UO because they were indestructible.

yea but it was also the hardest by far (time and cost to level)

it's easy: I want to have a viable DPS role, I want to be a mage.
    Should I not find this in Rift now or in future, I will move on to another game.

I am really a supporter of Rift but it matters to me what class I play and for what role I am needed.

Read the class description of mages, they promise us destruction and what not.
    If we were utility, we needed more utility souls to pick from.

Since we don't have that and most of our souls are offensive, I want: DPS

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    WAR: 1-2-3-4-dead.
    that rotation wouldnt kill anything unless they completely neglected all of their defensive stats.

more accurate rotations would be at least 1-2-3-4-5-6-dead but would probably also include 7(another instant damage ability) and maybe 8(most likely the heal debuff, which would be after 1)

against poorly geared players you could skip ability 4 leaving it as just 5 abilities, in an assist train you could manage with just 1-3-5-6, replacing 6 with 7 as cooldowns indicate

Telaran

I always felt UO mages were very good. Sure they wern't the best for soloing dungeons, but they were the kings of pvp and had a ton (umm, almost all) of the utility skills.

I had a mage that also had bard skills. Nuke the mobs and they never even look at you =p

+ Reply to Thread