+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stormcaller...Ice or Lightning

Soulwalker

Default Stormcaller...Ice or Lightning

Hello, I am thinking about rolling a SC and I have noticed that most builds tend to put points in lightning more then ice. Is this a dps thing?

Cheers

Soulwalker

Water spells take far longer to cast then air. As well as the building storm mechanic is just useless. Stormcaller atm is horribly broken and really only half the soul functions properly.

Because your spammable ice nuke (aka. Icicle) scales so terribly it's not worth having on the action bars.

Telaran

The ice builds are for pvp. They actually arent that bad with the reduced cast time ability and the abilities that build up crit on hypothermia stacks.

70% movement snare with the 50% run speed increase you can actually kite sometime.

Why would you even emphathise that ice/lightning differences? They are basically the same, just some proc useful debuffs and some dont.

Prophet of Telara

Ice for an opener, Air for everything else.

Due to most ice spells have terrible coefficients for how much spell power they use...they do little damage. The only good damage spell is Arctic Blast and that was nerfed to a 20s cool down.

Even with 51 points in Stormcaller you don't do any damage. You would think an 3electricty stack, max ice shear, +51% damage Cloud burst would do decent DPS? But...nope. You are still best spamming forked lightning and then lightning field trait bomb people. Maybe toss an arctic blast to get that +15% forked lightning damage, but...its not worth it. Building Storm is laughable. :/
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Rift Master

I've been giving water a chance recently since air is easier and I'd say I'm doing fine there even trading out buddy souls with it and still able to triumph.
    It's not as simple as air but I can say that my cloudburst is actually useful now lol
    I'm still perfecting my technique so for start I would say to stick with air skills being improved if you just want to try storm and get into its flow.

I've played with cast time reduction to help water and opportunity because they are obvious choices for long casting but there is also a water skill in another soul I have to fiddle with - one that blows up.

The first two weren't super impressive as long and that ltng is usually 1.5 or less cast.

The major thing I find is having enough room to kite. You can kite for eternity with storm in general but damned if there aren't 4 mobs around you everywhere in this game unless you are on the outskirts. Same issue with pushback - sure you can knock back a mob but it brings a pal with it because rarely can you knock them somewhere empty unless you literally fight out a straight line in front of you and back them up.
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-23-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Shadowlander

I don't even know where to begin, so much misinformation in this thread.

Stormcaller does pretty average/poor single target DPS.
    Absolutely unrivaled AOE dps however.

Ice spells are fairly useless other than for the application of Hypothermia. Hypothermia boosts your air damage w/ talents.

In groups and pvp though you'll very very infrequently use icicle, rely on the blizzard spell to apply hypoterhmia, and procs of Opportunity if you are specced into warlock for it (which I recommend mid tier).

This is what I'd consider in a minamlist build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...tbzsszo.xx.V0c

I would drop the pvp specific talents in Stormcaller and replace them with the +water damage ones if you want to focus purely on AE. (Runspeed/Roots/ect)

Typical pull, Hailstorm -> Lightning Storm -> Lightning Field -> Lightning Field -> Lightning Field

If that didn't get you instant agro and killed repeat Forked Lightning X3 + Lightning Field X2

Because of how lightning field works with charged field talent it is ludicrous damage.

Throw in static flux and other temp buffs for boom headshot.

@50 I would drop warlock and just got Stormcaller + Elementalist since you can use 32 point elementalist for mana gen in combat as opposed to Sacrifice Life: Mana, not to mention all the great stuff you can get out of elementalist (+30% crit damage? wow.)

Bottom line, you rarely use the water spells, not even worth putting points in them, only use them when Opportunity procs or when you are on a single target.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    I've been giving water a chance recently since air is easier and I'd say I'm doing fine there even trading out buddy souls with it and still able to triumph.
    It's not as simple as air but I can say that my cloudburst is actually useful now lol
    I'm still perfecting my technique so for start I would say to stick with air skills being improved if you just want to try storm and get into its flow.

I've played with cast time reduction to help water and opportunity because they are obvious choices for long casting but there is also a water skill in another soul I have to fiddle with - one that blows up.

The first two weren't super impressive as long and that ltng is usually 1.5 or less cast.

The major thing I find is having enough room to kite. You can kite for eternity with storm in general but damned if there aren't 4 mobs around you everywhere in this game unless you are on the outskirts. Same issue with pushback - sure you can knock back a mob but it brings a pal with it because rarely can you knock them somewhere empty unless you literally fight out a straight line in front of you and back them up.
    Try pairing SC with Dom. I have a 32 dom / 14 SC build atm. Open with icicle. Then Dom DoT. Storm Shackle, Deaths Edict....lightning spams till dead...mob never moves more than 20 feet because it has so many roots/stacked snares. I can kite elite melee mobs without ever getting touched. Once every 2 minutes i get to use split personality which is great burst dps...(3 shade spawn who cast void bolts that hit for an avg of 185 each for 30 secs at lvl 36.) I can't wait untill i hit 20 in SC for flash freeze. The cooldown timer with arctic blast / mass exhaustion will allow you to aoe grps of mobs 75% slowed/frozen/mezzed at all times.

+ Reply to Thread