+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Mage levelling build that doesn't involve using a pet?

Soulwalker

Default Best Mage levelling build that doesn't involve using a pet?

I chose a Mage as my first calling, because I like the idea of using an Archon/ Dominator in the late game.

Anyway, the obvious levelling build right now is the Necro/ Lock, but I have never been fond of using pets in MMOs

Are there any good builds out there that don't use a pet but can still level efficiently?

Thanks.

still necro/lock, but only go 16 points into lock for soul purge. Don't cast pet, go deep into lock.
    For luck you carried a horse chestnut and a rabbit's foot in your right pocket. The fur had been worn off the rabbit's foot long ago and the bones and the sinews were polished by the wear. The claws scratched in the lining of your pocket and you knew your luck was still there.

if that class combo REALLY isn't for you you can always level as chloro/lock and be immortal vs mobs.
    For luck you carried a horse chestnut and a rabbit's foot in your right pocket. The fur had been worn off the rabbit's foot long ago and the bones and the sinews were polished by the wear. The claws scratched in the lining of your pocket and you knew your luck was still there.

Rift Chaser

Chloro/Warlock is king for playing without a pet. The warlock channeled AE is good and combines well with both the Chloro charge AE and AE spores. Plus Warlock gets some nice survival abilities to see you through the pull.

Chloro/Warlock is also one of the best PvP builds.

Rift Disciple

Chloro/lock is pretty good too, especially for AoE pulls. Very boring against 1 target though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikkard View Post
    Chloro/lock is pretty good too, especially for AoE pulls. Very boring against 1 target though.
    NO!!!

I was trying it and died tons of time.
    Now i am SC/elem/chloro and aoe like a mad.

I agree with AlfredBKnott.

Go 16 points into Necro for Soul Purge then the rest into Warlock.

Warlock/Chloro is alright but there is a longer downtime than Necro/Warlock due to having to spend mana to heal and spend health to gain mana. Eventually you have to stop to either drink or use Reconstruct. With a Soul Purge Warlock your health fuels your mana and your charge fuels your health meaning you never have to stop. You just keep pulling.

I leveled to 31 points in Necro then dumped the rest in Warlock. I found once you get into the 40s your pet is just there for a little extra damage and to look good. You do so much damage with Warlock that you pull aggro off the tank pet. I can easily see how you could be successful with no pet at all. The only thing would be that you'd lose the 100+ DPS that the Rogue pet does.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Xiomaro View Post
    I agree with AlfredBKnott.

Go 16 points into Necro for Soul Purge then the rest into Warlock.

Warlock/Chloro is alright but there is a longer downtime than Necro/Warlock due to having to spend mana to heal and spend health to gain mana. Eventually you have to stop to either drink or use Reconstruct. With a Soul Purge Warlock your health fuels your mana and your charge fuels your health meaning you never have to stop. You just keep pulling.

I leveled to 31 points in Necro then dumped the rest in Warlock. I found once you get into the 40s your pet is just there for a little extra damage and to look good. You do so much damage with Warlock that you pull aggro off the tank pet. I can easily see how you could be successful with no pet at all. The only thing would be that you'd lose the 100+ DPS that the Rogue pet does.
    Any builds (level 35 and up) and spell rotation?
    Would be extremly lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Sototh View Post
    Here's a build I made quickly for level 35

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...fd0z.ej0hk0VLz

I found while I was in the 40s it was actually viable to just spam Void Bolt, Draining Bolt and Soul Purge. The other option is to load up your DoTs. The DPS difference is fairly negligible on short fights so just do what ever you prefer. Either way, Soul Purge is your main attack when you have charge.

With this build you could always keep the low level Necro pet out and on passive to use as a mana battery so you never have to use your own health as well.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Sototh View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvw_.eeMo.xufz0z

Life Leech > Necrosis > Dark Touch > Void Bolt > Soul Siphon > Void Bolt > Repeat

Shadowlander

Thanx guys

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Belith View Post
    NO!!!

I was trying it and died tons of time.
    Now i am SC/elem/chloro and aoe like a mad.
    Yeah it took me a while to get the hang of it as well. After you can get 26 in chloro and 26 in warlock, it becomes pretty godly.

This is my Chloro/necro/lock build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0Nkoc.VdIuoi0z

You can play it with or without the pet. It doesn't have a ton of AE, but it keeps you alive VERY well even with 3-4 mobs on you.

You have 3 different ways to regen mana, Living shell, Sac life:mana, and reclaim power.

I never, never cast anything in this build with a casting time. The only times I have to stand still are channeled abilities.

Typical rotation for me is:
    Dark touch>necrosis>(Radiant spores if needed, it usually isn't)>Ruin>Draining Bolt>Dark Fury>Grave rot>Soul Purge.

Typically a single mob would be between 10%health and dead at this point, with me at 90%+.

Now you can go the AE rout to some extent. Grave rot and Devouring shadows are your only to AEs really, but you can pretty much just spam them if you are fighting larger groups of mobs that don't hit that hard.

Now, what about Vile spores, whithering vines, natures fury, and natures touch. Well they all have cast times, and I hate cast times, so they only get thrown in the mix when opportunity procs. If I get a lucky string I will sometimes kill a mob before getting to the Grave Rot part of my rotation.

I will usually hit my living shell during a fight when I hit about 70% mana, I can continue casting and still be at full mana at the end.

Of course Bloom and Flourish are your "Oh $hit" buttons, but if you get yourself into a position where soul purge isn't saving you, then you probably pulled too much anyways.

I am sure that this build isn't the most efficient, as I am usually pretty horrible at creating specs, maybe people could throw out some ideas. I have found though that this build is not bad for group PvP though as well as being ungodly in PvE. Of course in 1v1 or small scale PvP I get rocked by anyone with lots of CC, but you can't do everything right? (Unless you are a warrior :P)
    Shut your pie hole!!!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredBKnott View Post
    Sorry for being off-topic but where does this come from? Of all the signatures this one is the only one I can remember that really... disturbs me.

+ Reply to Thread