+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dom/Chloro/Archmage PvP Spec

Soulwalker

Default Dom/Chloro/Archmage PvP Spec

I've been working up to this spec (currently at level 42) and am really enjoying it in the warfronts. I like the added utiltiy from the Chloro heals, and Stream of Reclamaton + Empowered Veil bolster my otherwise unimpressive dps. The 10 points in Archmage should help my survivability some.

This build offers 3 cleanse type spells to get out of jams and I'm guessing the most cc the game has to offer.

Anyway, I'd like to hear thoughts/advice from other mages. It's not for someone who wants to top the damage charts, but I've been a game changer in many matches, and it's a whole lot of fun messing with people

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z....gsVuikqMfk.VV
    Last edited by Touchstone; 03-22-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Prophet of Telara

I like the look of it but your build isn't something you could use at 42 given that the prestige rank 2 is required to be level 50 isn't it?
    I'd also shoot for ruin and wild abandon in chloromancer. At 46 I would go with this.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    I like the look of it but your build isn't something you could use at 42 given that the prestige rank 2 is required to be level 50 isn't it?
    I'd also shoot for ruin and wild abandon in chloromancer. At 46 I would go with this.
    Ah, yeah, "Raised in Nature" looks nice too. I might have to rethink putting 10 points in Arch. Just curious, what do you like about Ruin?

Btw, this is just a projection of what I might have at 50. Currently, it's pretty similar -- I have 38 in Dom, 5 in Arch and the rest in Chloro.

Champion

I was thinking along the lines of a Lock/Chloro/Dom build, and while CC is a definate advantage in PvP, I still say it has its uses in PvE. (Its not like its impossible to have other specs, after all.)

Course, some people on these forums, will try to tell you, anything outside the box is WRONG, and that you are STUPID, about all you can do is ignore than.

Anyways, heres what I was thinking.

<a href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvsR.xxo.MsrufkoGbk.VdIuRM0z">Warlock (11) / Dominator (31) / Chloromancer (24)</a>

Something like that.

Prophet of Telara

Ruin mainly for the instant cast damage spell. In my warlock/chloro build I have ruin and vile spores tied to one button macro, the usefulness of this is amplified by oppurtunity procs but theoretically I can't see why it couldn't favour a Dom/chloro build, I also find wild abandon extremely useful cast on warriors or to escape when needed. Then I started wondering about simply pairing Dom with a dps soul. When I've played Dom I really have missed a magic stripper type spell. Necromancer has Consumption and 26 points gets a range pet. Plague bolt with a 50% damage increase from Controlled opportunity in Dom to me seems like a viable dps increase and Deadly plague for some more increased damage. I would find Soul purge useful for self heals, the warlock soul would be another I'd pair with Dom.
    At 50 I would probably want living shell with a Dom/Chloro build, I find this to be a life saver with Warlock/chloro for those times where I need to escape while using clense and wild abandon. The other benefit I believe with lock or necro paired with Dom is for stacking curses to disguise the Dom effects. Most healers become overwhelmed by a lot of curses and will just simply heal through the damage and not remove the curses. Playing a chloro I see this regularly as I assist the heals removing as much as I can. Dominator soul to me looks to be a very interesting soul one which I'm likely to be shelling out a few plat to reset while experimenting with it. I've played similar roles in guild wars as a Mesmer. Dominator in Rift like in that game seems to have many strengths for shutting down rogue souls as well.

I like the way your thinking with your suggestion there SinisterDeath.

Champion

Back when I used to play EQ, I was an Enchanter, Major fan of that class. Since then, there have been very pale copies of the chanter. Mesmer (GW) Controller (CoH) can't recall the one in Vanguard.

When I noticed Rift had the 'Domintoar' I was excited to say the least. Unfortunatley it lacks the 'buff' aspect that the enchanter had, but definately makes up for that in the CC. (still wish squirrel worked on multiple targets in PvE)

From what i've read of Archon (in Game soul) I'm not to much of a fan of 'how' they buff, And while they are 'nice' buffs, Archon + Dominator just don't seem worth. Going 30/30 in each, would probably end up in lousy dps, and while it would have great 'support' I would definately say they'd be better 'seperated' with another 'type'. instead of DPS, I chose Healer. Hence why I picked Chloro in the mix.

Now, if you've ever played Chloro, you'd know when it comes to DPS terms, they aren't heavy hitters. They are a support class after all.
    Of there abilities, you basically get 1 dot that actually does damage, An instnat cast nuke that does about half the damage as a 2s cast nuke, (but if you figure in 1.5s GCG it comes to around 75% of the dps)
    They also have another 'nuke' that is a 'Root' effect that nukes the target 'when' or 'if' they move. Aside from that they have a couple of Debuffs, that pretty much slow and reduce the enemies DPS.

Chloro, has alot more 'nukes' available early on than Dom does.
    But Chloro has, aside from Heals, virtually no support capabilities. And seeing how you can heal through your Nukes, you have no excuse NOT to take note of what your enemy is casting, if they are casting, and who they are hitting.

So the way I see it, specially in PvP, If I'm trying to heal a guy, and I see he's being pounded on by 2 people, I'll squirrel the guy behind em, Nuke/root/snare/reduce the guy he's attacking's dps, while nuking him through staggered rotations and tossing him heals while I can. Being a healer is much more than simply making sure there HP bar is full, but also trying to Prevent them from actually recieving any damage at all!

Then we get spell reflects, and silences that, specifically work on other healers. (priests lamant)

I have a tendnecy to go after the others teams healers, and if its a chloro, all the better, because as i tested out yesterday, with your spell reflect, there 'nukes' become 'your' nukes, thus 'your' heals. (nothing like making the enemy chloro HEAL your team!)

I definately wouldn't recommend it as a 'Main Healer' build in either PvP nor PvE however, but that doesn't it doesn't have any use. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Back when I used to play EQ, I was an Enchanter, Major fan of that class. Since then, there have been very pale copies of the chanter. Mesmer (GW) Controller (CoH) can't recall the one in Vanguard.

When I noticed Rift had the 'Domintoar' I was excited to say the least. Unfortunatley it lacks the 'buff' aspect that the enchanter had, but definately makes up for that in the CC. (still wish squirrel worked on multiple targets in PvE)

From what i've read of Archon (in Game soul) I'm not to much of a fan of 'how' they buff, And while they are 'nice' buffs, Archon + Dominator just don't seem worth. Going 30/30 in each, would probably end up in lousy dps, and while it would have great 'support' I would definately say they'd be better 'seperated' with another 'type'. instead of DPS, I chose Healer. Hence why I picked Chloro in the mix.

Now, if you've ever played Chloro, you'd know when it comes to DPS terms, they aren't heavy hitters. They are a support class after all.
    Of there abilities, you basically get 1 dot that actually does damage, An instnat cast nuke that does about half the damage as a 2s cast nuke, (but if you figure in 1.5s GCG it comes to around 75% of the dps)
    They also have another 'nuke' that is a 'Root' effect that nukes the target 'when' or 'if' they move. Aside from that they have a couple of Debuffs, that pretty much slow and reduce the enemies DPS.

Chloro, has alot more 'nukes' available early on than Dom does.
    But Chloro has, aside from Heals, virtually no support capabilities. And seeing how you can heal through your Nukes, you have no excuse NOT to take note of what your enemy is casting, if they are casting, and who they are hitting.

So the way I see it, specially in PvP, If I'm trying to heal a guy, and I see he's being pounded on by 2 people, I'll squirrel the guy behind em, Nuke/root/snare/reduce the guy he's attacking's dps, while nuking him through staggered rotations and tossing him heals while I can. Being a healer is much more than simply making sure there HP bar is full, but also trying to Prevent them from actually recieving any damage at all!

Then we get spell reflects, and silences that, specifically work on other healers. (priests lamant)

I have a tendnecy to go after the others teams healers, and if its a chloro, all the better, because as i tested out yesterday, with your spell reflect, there 'nukes' become 'your' nukes, thus 'your' heals. (nothing like making the enemy chloro HEAL your team!)

I definately wouldn't recommend it as a 'Main Healer' build in either PvP nor PvE however, but that doesn't it doesn't have any use. ;)
    I agree. It may not appear to have synergy on paper, but they work quite well together in practice.

It's also worth mentioning, someone recently talked me into trying Circle of Life, and im finding it's an excellent use of points. My heals crit constantly, and it really helps with survivability. It may not be "reliable," but with only a 10 sec cooldown and tons of CC, I'm finding it has helped greatly. And if your pushing for Raised in Nature and Living Shell, which I would also recommend, it's probably the best use for those points. I dont find a lot of time for casting life spells or even radiant spores. If we are lacking healers, I just switch to my heal spec.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Naaul View Post
    I agree. It may not appear to have synergy on paper, but they work quite well together in practice.

It's also worth mentioning, someone recently talked me into trying Circle of Life, and im finding it's an excellent use of points. My heals crit constantly, and it really helps with survivability. It may not be "reliable," but with only a 10 sec cooldown and tons of CC, I'm finding it has helped greatly. And if your pushing for Raised in Nature and Living Shell, which I would also recommend, it's probably the best use for those points. I dont find a lot of time for casting life spells or even radiant spores. If we are lacking healers, I just switch to my heal spec.
    Well there is some 'syngery' but its 'weak' compared to lock syngery. (the direct synergy that is. Ironically, direct syngery, Pyro has just as much as DoM, but lacks support, but gains DPS.)

I'd be casting ruin/vile spores over neural prod myself, and its not that hard (pve) to go with a rotation like this...

Radiant Spores
    accelerated decay
    Vile Spores
    Haunting Pain
    Withering Vine
    Storm Shackle
    Stream of Reclamation
    Transfernce
    Vile Spores
    Accelerated Decay
    Radiant Spores
    ect
    ect
    ect
    :P

Again may not top the dps or hps charts, but it'll reduce enemy damage, root, heal you/pet/party, reduce enemeis 'magic/energy pool/regen'. ect.

PvP it gets more tricky, only due to moving targets, cooldowns, DR on CC's, rotations pretty much go out the window, and goes into. WTH is available. :P

+ Reply to Thread