+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chloromancer pvp healing viability?

Default Chloromancer pvp healing viability?

As the title says, is it viable?

Also how should chloromancers prioritize stats for healing purposes in pvp and pve and should u get pvp gear even when healing in pvp (if its viable) or use ur raiding gear?
    Last edited by Kusoyaro; 03-22-2011 at 11:19 AM.

bump.........

lol almost 220 views in 24 hours and not 1 comment, next time ill make the title more appealing like starting a QQ thread with this question in it.

Soulwalker

I find it viable. Pair it with dominator or lock. No idea after the changes go throu, but I suspect things will get better.

Like Rickie82 says, your best bet is to pair it with Warlock or Dominator but I think Chloromancer in PvP is mediocre at best. It is very squishy and the cast times are very long (Warlock helps both of those issues though). It just takes one person to focus you and you're done for.

It ok for PvP but it doesn't compare to a Cleric healer. Great at low levels but gradually gets worse as you get to the higher level ranges and people start to know how to counter a Chloromancer.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

I find it very good mostly top meters only problem is single target heals wenn synergy is on CD,s wenn you want to go main heal on him.

But i think make a group with a cleric and 1 warrior, 1 sabo , 1 ranged you are unstoppable

Gr.
    Sfere

You have 3 direct heals as a Chloromancer. Make absolutely sure that you reserve them strictly for yourself. If you're fine, then it's ok to use the aoe heal on the group. Otherwise it's held in reserve for yourself.

Now what I just said might sound counterintuitive and a d1ck move. But a dead healer is a worthless healer. Digest that in your mind and you'll understand fully what I'm talking about. And if you hear something ticking, stop what you're doing and spam your cleanse on yourself. Beats running back from the spawn point any day.

The second part of this is that you have to stay back in the group to survive. There is no time for Billy Bad*****'s that run into a group and start tanking a couple sabs or a champion. Just hang to the back, have the raid leader mark you as a healer, and you'll be fine. Even in a pug, your teammates have a natural tendency to want to see you alive.

And I like to toss vines and spores on the pets of the guys running away. More healing is more healing! If you start casting a spell and the person runs out of range it will complete just fine as long as they don't LOS you. And nothing says "zerg me and kill me" like your channeled stream spell. That green beam of light will get you killed if used out in the open. Use it to kill a flag carrier in conjunction with the spell power boost, but otherwise it just brings too much attention to yourself.

The higher that you can dps, the less you have to worry about using a direct heal. Dps your heart out and put synthesis on the suicidal guy that just runs into the pack; preferably a warrior. If they are killing off the other team Shift F and maybe toss them your 2 min CD heal if you're fine.

And corrosion if used properly is a god send; but if used improperly another "zerg me and kill me" move. Locks, necros, Stormcallers, etc all love to aoe and run away. Wait until you see the other team standing in the fire and then hit corrosion. Because their focus will be on the guy that attacked them first, you can get away with using it. If you get cocky and use it before; all 10 or 20 will get you as their next target. Not so good.... LOL!

As far as spec I'm sure you can search the forums and figure one out. I spec Chloro/Lock/Archmage, but I'm a weirdo that wants to try something different so that the other team doesn't expect a set rotation from me. Chloro/Lock is by far the most popular spec from what I've seen and extremely effective because it has stuns and utility. I found all the utility adversely affecting my ability to heal thinking about what to do next. But if you're quick on the keybinds, then it's godmode!

Whatever you do just remember to have fun!

Chloro/Dominator is the only viable option really, it excels in black garden for healing the carrier, in the other ones try to keep to the back and save the squirrel + stuns and snares from domi.
    Nautix - 50 Mathosian Mage
    Amsira - 50 Mathosian Warrior
    Razvaltina - 42 Dwarf Rogue

The Guardians
    Online Gaming Community
    Sunrest RP-PvP

Rift Disciple

"As the title says, is it viable?

Also how should chloromancers prioritize stats for healing purposes in pvp and pve and should u get pvp gear even when healing in pvp (if its viable) or use ur raiding gear?"

Is the Chloro viable? Yes, it is. I use the Chloro and I have a great time with it. I would suggest just putting 32 points in the tree.

Prioritized Stats: Just intelligence. Take Spell Power and Spell Crit where you can as you prefer. Mana will never be an issue due to Living Shell regening 60% of your mana every 2 minutes. Only consider wisdom so far as it provides spell power.

Gear: Dungeon/Raiding gear is pretty good. PvP gear is geared towards PvP though. I think the plaque of achievement chest piece from dungeons is pretty good for PvP. Generally ignore focus seeing as it is only of limited usefulness in PvP.

My Advise:
    1- Read your Chloromancer abilities thoroughly. Take each sentence of Lifegiving Veil one at a time a really understand what the developers are trying to tell you. Understanding Lifegiving Veil will allow you to choose complimentary souls and figure out a play-style that maximizes your effectiveness.

2- Chloro's are the most head heavy of souls in the game in my opinion. This means that the players that take the time to figure out the mechanics of their abilities will always do better than those who do not take that time. Take each ability and then read Lifegiving Veil. After you've read both tooltips ask yourself how they relate back to each other.

3- Choose good complimentary souls. The Chloro has a lot of tools to prolong his life, but he has no tools to get out of trouble (other than wild abandon) or stop someone from beating on him. Dom gives a lot of good tools like transmography, arresting presence, and others. However, none of that will stop a rogue from stun locking you to death. In my opinion the stun lock is the best way to take a Chloro down. The pvp soul will get you out of 1 stun but won't protect you from another 10 seconds later (in pvp I prefer to use 11 points in the pyro soul for flicker to break stun locks and then use the instant cast root where convenient. The 7 points that aren't getting you flicker or the root are wasted unfortunately but the survivability that those abilities provide are invaluable).

4- Lastly, be flexible. Trion likes sneaking nerfs on Chloro's. The latest nerfs mentioned in the alpha notes were not the first nerfs and they won't be the last. In my experience the worst nerfs for Chloro's have come in hotfixes and they've changed some background feature of an ability that made go from great to barely mediocre.

Good luck and remember, you can always tell the good chloro's from bad one's based on how they use their abilities because the way they use their abilities show's how much or little they even know about the buttons they're pushing.

thanks for all the good advice

Telaran

To be honest, having played just about every role extensively in both PvP and PvE (except full Dom, totally not interested in being a CC-annoyance class) - Chloro healing in PvP is rather comparable to a Bard. But, you are generally much easier to kill (Assuming the Bard is specced properly and knows what he is doing.)

Unlike a cleric, you have limited burst healing potential to individual targets. Once your Bloom and Flourish are gone, you cant simply go "Oh let me cast my 2s heal on this target at 50% HP"

Similar to a Bard, 80%+ of all your healing will come from Lifegiving Veil and Radiant Spores. To effectively single-target heal somebody, you have to swap Synthesis onto them. While you may top healing charts in WF's, who the hell cares if 90% of it is going to everybody BUT the fang carrier, or the people actually taking damage?

If your instant casts are down, you have to FIRST swap Synthesis to the target, THEN cast a Nature's Touch or Vile Spore. This is 3.5s or 4s of globals+cast times to heal your target, whereas a Cleric can do that in 2-2.5s of a spellcast. When it comes down to somebody sitting at 30% HP in dire need of a heal, and your Bloom/Flourish are on CD, there's little you can do.

Example: Fang carrier dies. New person picks up Fang. In order to even do more than pitiful bard-quantity group healing to the raid, you need to specifically cast Synthesis onto that person.

Downsides: Not only does this take an additional 1.5s global cooldown, in which during this time a Cleric could have thrown out 1 extra heal on the carrier, but Synthesis also has a 30-second cooldown. This means that if you put it on one person (Say, a Champion in need of healing who charges into their front line) - you wont be able to swap it onto a nearby Rogue taking damage, or XXX player who picks up the Fang.

Your survival is mediocre at best, and TBH IMO easily much lower than that of a good Bard/Rift. Not only do they take a lot less passive damage, but they have a lot more HP, and with good use of invulnerability/mezzes/teleports can easily prevent and escape bad situations.

For us, we basically HAVE to pair ourselves with Warlock or Dom for any chance whatsoever. Warlock is nice as it provides two Oh-**** cooldowns, as well as the passive spelldmg. But once these two cooldowns are gone, you are basically a free kill for any Rogue/War for 3 minutes.

Imo they need to either remove the GCD on Synthesis OR the cooldown, so we can swap it as required onto needed targets.

Some sort of silence/interrupt/stun prevention would be useful as well, maybe even one on a cooldown (Like make Wild Abandon provide 8s of stun/silence immunity as well as snare immunity) - as unlike a cleric or bard, we can be wrecked during a stun/silence. It seems most clerics/bards nowadays, at least for PvP, have multiple HoTs up on themselves which are easily ticking for 5-10% of their total HP while they are silenced/stunned.

All we have is... withering vines? At least make it instant cast imo >.<
    Last edited by KooperT; 03-25-2011 at 09:23 AM.

It's pretty solid in Port Scion, where you can hide in a crowd and get more casts off. (And raidiant spores is insane here.)

But in smaller scale pvp it doesn't do nearly so well. The lack of instant casts and squishiness work against it. Even if you take the endurance talents in both chloro and lock to beef yourself up, you've got no cc to speak of, and no way to get out of cc which is flying thick and fast. Melee rogues will eat you alive and stunlock you to death. Warriors are actually more easily managed and can be tanked to some extent, surprisingly.

If you want to heal as a mage your best bet is to queue for Port Scion which is good favor anyways and avoid the other warfronts.

hmm sounds a bit dissapointing but i see ur points. Ill just try and get better and hope they will make some good changes on the chloro after the nerfs. I love the way it plays so I wont give it up just yet .
    thanks for your input!

Rift Disciple

I've found Chloro to be far stronger than cleric or bard in WFs.

I roll with varied specs, depending on what Im doing...and keep a nice ddps/cc spec for when the random puggers fail to realize a single healy type mage is likely not the best option to guard a node solo etc.

But on the whole, Very fun. Very effective. And you'll only notice you are squishy if you do something silly, like go toe to toe with a melee.

There are a myriad of Chloro style and sub styles that work for PvP. Some combinations of Chloro + Warlock, Dominator, Necro and/or Archmage are generally more common and more well rounded, ie useful in most generalized pvp situations. But those are far from the only options.

I'm a fan of Archmage, myself. Even with only 5 deep you upped your damage vs players 15%, and thus heals by 15%. Combo it with 32 Chloro and 29 Lock. Hmm, Here's a link. There is quite a bit of play here though, you can shift numerous points around to suit your needs in both Chloro and moreso in Lock. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0qh.EdIuohck.x

But those passive and active damage % increase really add up. Your CC may not be the strongest, nor your counter CCs. But what it brings is raw power. And I can rely generally on teamates for peels etc. or brute force heal through heavy incoming damage.

+ Reply to Thread