+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What the heck is this mage doing?

Plane Touched

Default What the heck is this mage doing?

This mage consistently blows me up like no other. He's pyro, always hits like a truck. Everyone knows he's uber geared, and was probably the fastest mage to get geared in the game. But that doesn't explain why his fireballs hit for 1k+ more than other people's do.

I've had mage friends look at this image.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/2d1l82w.jpg

No one understands how he hits so hard. I think this guy found a glitch in the matrix. He literally blows people up in seconds when he's in the BG. When his healer is down he gets cut up like butter though, so it's not like there's some overwhelming advantage.

I'm well aware that mages need buffs. This is not a thread saying that you're overpowered in any way. This is the only mage I've seen doing this and have had a problem with.

Rift Disciple

He is most likely Ele/Pyro.

Honestly a terrible pvp spec. You hit hard and that's pretty much it.

Plane Walker

If you want to give us useful information, don't take a context free screenshot of 3 numbers.

Maybe he had a load of cooldowns popped, what was his spec? Maybe he's pyro/ele and had his 50% damage cooldown up. Maybe he had internalise charge on top of that. Maybe he had some archon buffs, or trinkets up. If we could see his hits before, it'd help. If we could see who he was, and his buffs, it'd help more.

Lots of possible reasons.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistralis View Post
    He is most likely Ele/Pyro.

Honestly a terrible pvp spec. You hit hard and that's pretty much it.
    He has Ground of Strength. You're not getting Tempest with GoS.

Overload (30% crit damage versus players) + Witchstone (15% crit damage in general) + Internalize Charge + normal buffs, possibly a WF buff. *Shrugs*

Edit: Has he hit you with a Fulminate?
    Last edited by Arianna; 03-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Plane Touched

This was the only thing I grabbed from the combat log at the time. I was in the middle of a WF yesterday and was stunned to see that much damage from a fireball so I cut it out for a friend to see.

Prince performs better than any other mage I've seen. Whatever he does, he does it well. He may need a healer to keep him up, but so do champions. When his ground of power is down I have to LoS or I'm pretty much dead in 3 seconds =/.

Whatever this guy is doing... he's doing it right.

I came here to see if you guys can dissect his build. I have some mage friends who are interested in going super saiyan like this guy.....

Edit: Yeah, most likely the WF buff, but without it he still performs well.
    Last edited by Hakufu; 03-22-2011 at 09:04 AM.

are all these big hits crits or are his base hits really high too? My guess is he has the 30% crit damage mod from Tempest and an obnoxious amount of spell damage and spell crit.
    Hi, I'm Xenic. I came to blow $hit up

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hakufu View Post
    When his healer is down he gets cut up like butter though, so it's not like there's some overwhelming advantage.
    I've hit Prince with a full set of Sab charges and had his health not even budge. I'm not too familiar with Mage builds so maybe they have a temp power that keeps them from taking damage for a few seconds like some Rogue builds have though? *shrug*

I'm sure Pyros will get hit with the nerf bat sooner or later just like Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brugdor View Post
    I've hit Prince with a full set of Sab charges and had his health not even budge. I'm not too familiar with Mage builds so maybe they have a temp power that keeps them from taking damage for a few seconds like some Rogue builds have though? *shrug*

I'm sure Pyros will get hit with the nerf bat sooner or later just like Champs.
    That would be a detaunt.

On a side note, perhaps he is using Mega Damage?

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xenic View Post
    are all these big hits crits or are his base hits really high too? My guess is he has the 30% crit damage mod from Tempest and an obnoxious amount of spell damage and spell crit.
    Ground of Strength means no Tempest. The GoS stun faded from the OP as he died, meaning the Mage had GoS. Therefore no Tempest. Overload, however, is possible to obtain with GoS. That with Internalize Charge, the 15% Witchstone and a WF buff can more than likely push him to that damage. Especially if Witchstone and Overload stack additively for a 45% crit damage multiplier.

Edit: Overload means he has Rune Shield, which stacks with Ground of Strength. On top of which you may have been Detaunted.
    Last edited by Arianna; 03-22-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna View Post
    Ground of Strength means no Tempest. The GoS stun faded from the OP as he died, meaning the Mage had GoS. Therefore no Tempest. Overload, however, is possible to obtain with GoS. That with Internalize Charge, the 15% Witchstone and a WF buff can more than likely push him to that damage. Especially if Witchstone and Overload stack additively for a 45% crit damage multiplier.

Edit: Overload means he has Rune Shield, which stacks with Ground of Strength. On top of which you may have been Detaunted.
    ahh thanks for clearing that up for me. I haven't really messed with pyro builds yet so Im not sure what you can and can't get with em.
    Hi, I'm Xenic. I came to blow $hit up

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna View Post

This is probably the most true of everything. His + crit damage is rather frightening. This build makes for some massive butthurt.

Rift Disciple

Side question: how do you even get those witchstones? The materials cannot be obtained by salvaging rings or necklaces as far as I've been able to determine.. Maybe it needs to be specific kinds of things to salvage?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by trutanen View Post
    Side question: how do you even get those witchstones? The materials cannot be obtained by salvaging rings or necklaces as far as I've been able to determine.. Maybe it needs to be specific kinds of things to salvage?
    Salvage Fetishes for the bones; They're Offhands that require Bone material to create.

Shiny Teeth give you Processed Bone and Sturdy Jaws give you Refined Bone.

+ Reply to Thread