+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Archon is not bugged

Rift Chaser

Default Archon is not bugged

Those of you non archon and non mage people that think Archon is bugged are ridiculous. Burning purpose works as advertised. It debuffs the Archon and buffs the raid. Which means I have to cast other spells to return me to NORMAL status.
    Engaging a boss requires I buff my group/raid then I spend the next minute or so getting my stats back to normal. I can put burning purpose on yes but its effectiveness is reduced for the Archon due to being debuffed. Finally, when buffed I can put it on again and begin any sort of rotation.
    Now If I want to cast any kinda combat buffs for the raid while trying to rebuff myself it slows down the process of getting me back to normal which is fine ...its my job.
    Power Drain I have no time for...toggling back and forth. I look at my charge and its full I hit it and let it run to zero.
    If you are an Archon and in a raid just to do damage you are the wrong class. Big deal if you can be selfish and do 7 or 800 dps. I can do around 600 or so and increase all of my raid members dps 15-20%.
    Who is doing the most dps now?
    So you people thinking that Archons are bugged are basically non Archons who have no clue.
    Souls are supposed to have synergy. It would be like saying they need to nerf warlock charge increase, opportunity and the fact that it can enhance any spec by 20% when it comes to damage and make it warlock damage only.
    I have to invest 51 points in Archon to even get to burning purpose. The fact that I can use synergy with necro and pyro for a total of 15 points is not only normal its expected.
    Calling for a nerf of this is uneducated at best.

I don't really care about Burning Purpose although the Power Drain usage definitely "doesn't feel right" to do. However Archon itself is QUITE bugged.

Power in Numbers only gives +2% damage per aura
    Pillaging Stone only gives 6 stats, instead of 8
    Strength in Stone only modifies that to +9 stats instead of +12
    Consuming Flames still can crit yourself despite being "fixed" otherwise.
    Searing Vitality cannot crit still.
    Exhilaration rolls for "crits" on things that don't even do damage. Critical Potion? Theres some mana. Critical aura? theres some mana, etc.

With or without discussion of BP, Archon is fairly "bugged" regardless.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Rift Chaser

Excuse my narrow focus about Archons ...you are quite right about the actual bugs Archons deal with

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by wallweasels View Post
    I don't really care about Burning Purpose although the Power Drain usage definitely "doesn't feel right" to do. However Archon itself is QUITE bugged.

Power in Numbers only gives +2% damage per aura
    Pillaging Stone only gives 6 stats, instead of 8
    Strength in Stone only modifies that to +9 stats instead of +12
    Consuming Flames still can crit yourself despite being "fixed" otherwise.
    Searing Vitality cannot crit still.
    Exhilaration rolls for "crits" on things that don't even do damage. Critical Potion? Theres some mana. Critical aura? theres some mana, etc.

With or without discussion of BP, Archon is fairly "bugged" regardless.
    Not to mention the weakness of the range of our temp buff/nukes. Fix the range on those, and casting those abilities starts to get a bit better.
    Calaglin, Former Illusionist/Guild Leader of Dissolution on Nektulos for EverQuest II
    Calaglin, Former Illusionist/Guild Leader of Confirmed on Unrest for EverQuest II

Rift Master

when people say archon is bugged they are talking about powerdrain being not on a gcd, and not having a cd on itself. Technically, not a bug, as it doesn't say it does. It is working exactly how it says it does. So not a bug. its an oversight in design and an exploit.
    note, that many abilities that work in similar manor also do not activate a gcd, have a 1s internal cd to ensure you don't spam it on and off like this. SC's static flux for example.
    This stops you from making a /cast static flux, /castcloudburst macro that lets you turn on flux for your nuke, and turn it off after .5s burning almost no charge while constantly providing the benefit.
    Last edited by sarianne; 03-22-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Rift Chaser

As I said if you are doing your job as an Archon you dont have time for micromanaging power drain. Ive never used it in this fashion..I dont have time nor do I want to. To me Im sacraficing alot more damage that the raid or group could be doing in order to increase my damage a little bit.

Rift Master

Burning Purpose being prebuffed is the culprit. You can abuse the hell out of Power Drain all you want, but when Burning Purpose is 'normally' ticking for ~300, you're only pulling approximately 500 DPS while abusing the 'exploit/bug'. Any other Mage pure DPS spec can out-do that with ease.

Being able to buff Burning Purpose to do normal ticks of 800 and crits of 1000 instead of 300 to 450 shoots your DPS through the roof.

Edit: It's not about playing Archon as the support spec it was meant to be. You're pulling the highest DPS outside of BM/Champ Warriors with this spec. It's a bugged DPS spec, not a support role.
    Last edited by Arianna; 03-22-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Champion

you should not be able to buff a spell using multiple short stacking 15/30 second buffs and have them apply to a 5 min skill and have the buffs apply the entire time, theres no way that is working as intended. its an exploit of skill mechanics to make short duration buffs carry over to a 5 minute skill.

if each proc of BP did a spellpower / damage check to the caster each time it procced you would have correct damage. that way when your buffs expire, they expire. then you could "exploit" powerdrain all you wanted and it would be no big deal.

i dont think theres much sympathy in regards to "exploiting" this considering the current broken mechanics of other dps classes.

Rift Chaser

How are you making BP tick for 800-1000 dmg without casting another spell...Plague bolt is a 2 second cast. So even perfectly cast with no other spells thats 400-500 dps. BP does no damage by itself...it needs another spell to be cast (debuff) for it to do anything.
    If you precast it prior to buffing yourself after buffing ( and debuffing yourself) the raid you are really gimping yourself.
    Explain how you are top dps? Id really like to know. Or is this just what you heard?

Rift Chaser

And what buffs are you short stacking? Im a 51 archon I have no buffs but my own and a Pyro armor buff..al lmy buffs are 5 mins. The other combat buffs are raid enhancements. They last for as long as they show on the tool tip and then drop. They do not stay on BP. Again...you cast a DEBUFF ..BP applies damage ONCE. You have to apply another for it to do it again

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Morguen View Post
    How are you making BP tick for 800-1000 dmg without casting another spell...Plague bolt is a 2 second cast. So even perfectly cast with no other spells thats 400-500 dps. BP does no damage by itself...it needs another spell to be cast (debuff) for it to do anything.
    If you precast it prior to buffing yourself after buffing ( and debuffing yourself) the raid you are really gimping yourself.
    Explain how you are top dps? Id really like to know. Or is this just what you heard?
    Cast Ground of Power.
    Cast Fire Armor.
    Stack Pillaging Stone.
    Stack Rock Slide.
    Throw all Auras minus Burning Purpose on.
    Cast Waning Power.
    Cast Earthen Barrage.
    Cast Flaring Power.
    Cast Volcanic Bomb.
    Cast Burning Purpose.

Your Burning Purpose damage just tripled for the 5 minutes it is up, regardless of whether or not you move out of Ground of Power, Waning Power or Flaring Power drop off, etc, etc.

Plague Bolt applies two stacks of Deathly Calling, proccing Burning Purpose twice. That is two ticks of your now super-buffed Burning Purpose, on top of Plague Bolt's damage.

Likewise, you can use the buggy macro that has instant cast spells and Power Drain in it, and just spam that for consistent procs of Burning Purpose through Power Drain.

This has been explained more than once. Look it up.

Edit: People are using this as a DPS spec. Not a support role. They are gimping no one by spamming Power Drain/Plague Bolt if it is the 'rotation' for a bugged spec that is currently topping Mage PvE DPS.
    Last edited by Arianna; 03-22-2011 at 09:15 AM.

I cant understand how those would tirple the damage of Burning Purpose and likely if it does (and entirely for 5minutes) then that IS a bug. I assume this is because most spells take bonuses "when" they cast not when they hit. We should not be the ones who are exploiting bugs to act like we can do extreme DPS

Edit: burning purpose turns archon from a support role to "support DPS" as its debuffs now cause damage, even if its just a little bit. Without this "trick" I tick for around 250~300 and around 400~450 on crits. Thats pretty nice damage when you toss a P.STone for 800~900 total damage. Does alot better DPS than you would of before. However since your 3 other "support DPS" skills do not proc BP, a "proper" rotating archon won't actaully use BP all that much :/ Tiny cooldowns on skills like Flare, Bomb, and Barrage all mean they need to be kept up, leaving little time to toss some p.stones in there. Since our "debuffs" are all instant cast 5 minute duration abilities, it isnt like you will need to cast them more than once on most bosses. Archon is fun and a nice support class, but BP should not turn it into some DPS giant. Plague Bolt + BPx2 is nice "DPS" and that ISNT an abuse of a bug, but BP gaining benefits for 5 minutes on short duration spells? that is.
    Last edited by wallweasels; 03-22-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by wallweasels View Post
    My summon earth elemental crit the other day. He still sucked.

Rift Chaser

Just did the exact stack as depicted above minus the grounding.... my BP hits on plague bolt were twice at 360 damage with plague bolt hitting for about 360 too. So tell me again how this puts me at super DPS...Ive tried this "super stack" 3 times and the results are the same.

Default Does Combust from Pyromancer act as a "debuff"

does the affect from combust count as a debuff in terms of BP proc? Was thinking of putting 7 in warlock and 8 in Pyromancer if the combust affect works on BP.

thanks in advance as im at work and cant test this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast