+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having trouble killing necromancers - Help?

Rift Chaser

Default Having trouble killing necromancers - Help?

Howdy folks.

I'm having trouble killing necromancers, and I'd like to understand the class better so I can find out what I'm doing wrong if anything.

I usually run with a Chloromancer/Dominator while I myself am primarily Justicar/Shaman. We tried mana draining. and it took much too long vs the damage he was able to put out and his pet kept healing him. We tried killing is pet and it did not work, somehow he managed to resummon it instantly as I did not see him cast the resummon and his pet was back up 2 seconds later beating on my partner.

I'm willing to change souls if it means I can react to one griefing me, but at present I'm unsure what I can do. Even with my partner swapping to pyromancer he was still managing to heal almost as much as we were doing to him, while still outputting substantial amounts of damage.

Any advice? I don't want to have to stall until he either runs out of mana and consumeables, pulls mobs, or somebody else comes along.
    Disclaimer: I cannot be held accountable for the abuse I'm compelled to resort to in the general forums when faced with blinding ignorance and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipemoren View Post
    I AM AN ADULT

Exhume has a cooldown, so either CC the pet or beat the **** out of it twice.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Telaran

Necro is one of the most sustainable mage classes. However they are the strongest when they get to charge up.

CC his pet, and then start killing him. whenever you see the purple beam of life leech (no thats not it's name, it's what it does) just stun/silence/interupt him and keep killing him.

Necro dosn't have any burst dmg, so you really shouldn't have any problems healing yourself. And he will snuff out quickly once he runs out of charge.

(This depends on his other souls of course, depending on what they are you are most likely just out of luck)
    Last edited by Sirensis; 03-22-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Plane Touched

I run nec/pyro, pretty odd combo but it works real well. Flicker gets me out of most CC (unless its silence) Best thing to do is silence necros if you can, CC the pet and they are pretty much screwed. Pet does 50% of my dmg about.

I would drain their mana while rooting the pet and then when you have their mana drained you squirrel the pet so it's done for 30 seconds and hopefully they still don't have mana to re-summon a new one.
    Punisher
    [The Cabal]

Telaran

Having your chloro/dom friend use some dispels on the two of you can help, both of his specs grant dispel skills. Ripping off necrosis/looming demise will greatly reduce pet damage.

When he's soul purging, focus on heals and wait for it to stop to burst him. Soul purge heals him (and fairly well at that), but costs charge to cast.

You can also of course just kill the pet first.
    Last edited by Quinburger; 03-22-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Soulwalker

Necro easy kill for dominator. Sheep pet, lasts 30-35 seconds, no diminishing returns. 40% of necro damage now gone.

dips the necro down, deny all his dots off one time, when you see soul purge pop arresting presence and keep it on till he dies or thunderblast interrupt soul purge.

necro has no chance.

Rift Chaser

Thanks for the advice folks. I figured this was the place to ask

I wasn't sure about CCing the pet as with all the damage going out, if it was subject to the same DR as players we likely would have just lost GC's.

I'll be keeping an eye out for soul purge and have them ensure the pet is CC'd.

Does soul purge have a cast? And if so, is interrupting it a viable tactic? I'm not sure if interrupting would expend his charge and cancel the cast or just set him back 1.5 seconds.
    Disclaimer: I cannot be held accountable for the abuse I'm compelled to resort to in the general forums when faced with blinding ignorance and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipemoren View Post
    I AM AN ADULT

Soul Purge has no cast time and no cooldown, you just press it and it starts going if you have charge. So interrupting it doesn't really do anything.

Getting rid of the pet will temporarily cripple the necromancer, but a smart one will make it hard for you, you will have to kill/squirrel it twice due to instasummon. A really smart one will have target of target on, and if they see you Transmogrify while targeting their pet, will cast Transmogrify on you at the same time (because you won't be able to stop them), spam Essence Link on you while you are squirreled to build a large amount of charge without dealing damage, and then instasummon their pet once you break out. If you try it again, it won't matter, with the full charge bar they have a powerful Soul Purge ready and that means they can take you on alone.

Honestly, you shouldn't be killing necromancers. We are your friends. Love us.
    -hypnotize hands-
    Wolfsbane: Korihargon (Archon/Necro/Dom) Ultravalefor (Paragon/Void Knight/Reaver)
    All hail the mighty ARCHON
    now with 100% more rainbows!
    on (legally enforced) break from groping foxelves

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    Howdy folks.

I'm having trouble killing necromancers, and I'd like to understand the class better so I can find out what I'm doing wrong if anything.

I usually run with a Chloromancer/Dominator while I myself am primarily Justicar/Shaman. We tried mana draining. and it took much too long vs the damage he was able to put out and his pet kept healing him. We tried killing is pet and it did not work, somehow he managed to resummon it instantly as I did not see him cast the resummon and his pet was back up 2 seconds later beating on my partner.

I'm willing to change souls if it means I can react to one griefing me, but at present I'm unsure what I can do. Even with my partner swapping to pyromancer he was still managing to heal almost as much as we were doing to him, while still outputting substantial amounts of damage.

Any advice? I don't want to have to stall until he either runs out of mana and consumeables, pulls mobs, or somebody else comes along.
    In my opinion the dominator should almsot be able to solo any necro, Squirrel the pet and mana wrench the necro to 0 in 2 casts, from there on just keep pet squirreled and you beat the necro down.
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot.

Rift Disciple

I don't know about other necro builds, but I am fine at 5% mana forever.

If the zealot is CCed, can you not still siphon mana from it?

Telaran

Do not attempt to kill the pet, any decent necro attempting pvp should/will have Opportunity/MA. Do not try to drain mana since necro are extremely mana efficient. Stay away from Grave Rot and interrupt PB, the necro will then be very vulnerable early on. Next to that CC/Kite the pet when you can and make sure you dispell death's grasps if playing melee. Necromancers are hybrids which makes them vulnerable to burst and they need time to build-up consistency. If he stands after 10-15 seconds chances are your losing ground.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread