+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soloing elites?

Shadowlander

Default Soloing elites?

Does anyone have a successful build or tips for this?

I'm level 43 and can tear through minor rifts, but when it gets to the bonus stage, I just have to quit and give up.

I've tried Necro/Lock, trying to get the skeletal knight to tank, but he just can't keep aggro (even just keeping my actions to life shift and soul purge to heal him). Elite inevitably comes to me - and I can only take 5 hits maximum.

I've tried Chloro/Lock, but the elites just do too much damage to me to keep up with LGV heals.

Shadowlander

My tank pet used to be able to keep excellent aggro till about late 30s, where like you I started having issues.
    I find that he can retake aggro if I cast wither & kite around for a bit. I have had some success with this tactic but it's hit and miss. Ive also just specced the top warlock damage reduction talent so I am hoping this will allow me to survive the odd hit until the pet can get him off. Be interested to hear other peoples tips too.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post

I'm level 43 and can tear through minor rifts, but when it gets to the bonus stage, I just have to quit and give up.

I've tried Necro/Lock, trying to get the skeletal knight to tank, but he just can't keep aggro (even just keeping my actions to life shift and soul purge to heal him). Elite inevitably comes to me - and I can only take 5 hits maximum.

I've tried Chloro/Lock, but the elites just do too much damage to me to keep up with LGV heals.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...oVc.xxh0MxoVxz

Able to solo everything. Well not raid bosses, but all elites.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by JCBN View Post

Ahhh how does that work?

Pet plays group tank role with synthesis while you play group chloro healer role?

Quote Originally Posted by JCBN View Post

I use a very similar build though 6 points in Warlock rather than Dom as I like my unlimited mana

As said, can pretty much solo anything due to pet never dieing. That said, not necessarily the fastest if you want to go AoE grinding (need SC for that) but you will stay alive during those many "oops" moments.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Ahhh how does that work?

Pet plays group tank role with synthesis while you play group chloro healer role?
    Yup, and if pet isn't taking too much damage you even get to throw in a couple of heavy hits yourself.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

As a Necro/lock, I found that Soul Purge on elites can draw too much aggro, and not heal the pet enough. I've had more success with elites 40+ alternating between revivify and soul purge to heal the pet. Revivify heals the pet for more, and seems to create less aggro.

I start out with spores, necrosis, LD, dark touch, Life leech then revivify. Couple of nukes to build up more charge, then soul purge. Rinse and repeat till the mob is dead. I also use lifeshift and that warlock hot thing that steals life from the caster and gives it back over time to the taget, when needed.

Necro with 16 points in chloro is good for soloing elites too

Shadowlander

Awesome, good tips, will try this out. Thanks all

Shadowlander

Ahhh how does that work?

Exactly, very easy. You will find a hard time getting aggro with that tank beast. Give it a few secs, before going all in... remember to dps->heal it though. But after 5 seconds or so, you can spam whatever you feel like.

Start at max range, wither it, void bolt spam.
    Once it gets to me, I use fear, back off for some distance.
    Rinse and repeat.

works on just about anything that isn't immune or has tons of other agro's around it.
    Last edited by Zannah; 03-22-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Shadowlander

Tryed out the Elementalist/Chloro build - works great!

Rift Disciple

I've had no issue with the tank keeping aggro as long as I keep deathly stacks on the mob.

Rift Disciple

I'll have to try out that ele/chloro build. I made a full necro spec anticipating god-like pve tanking abilities ala DAoC and then my pet got 4 shot by an elite 3 levels lower while I was building Soul Purge charge.
    Nihilism <Enigmatic Few> Sunrest
    Put your seatbelt on. You want to end up like Gary Busey?

Telaran

I've been using this necro/chloro/dom build.

Biggest advantage over an elemental build: FD, THE most useful PvE skill. Pet gets killed ? FD and start over.

I soloed a major level 44 rift at 42. Works like a charm.

I solo'd Elites as chloronecro all the time. IN freemarch I solo'd that group quest to kill those elite fire elementals/demons. In stonefield I solo'd that Kill 5 Giants quest, etc.

Properly usage of Grave Touch means I never gained aggro and healed my Stalwart/Knight up to full anytime he was injured. Only time I lost in these situation was when a second one joined in. Had a hard time pulling 2 elites until I had my knight for aoe-aggro. I'd solo'd major rifts and minor rifts unstable bosses. Only issue in major rifts is I cant pass the timed stages in time because lolchloro and my DPS is turrible ;P
    Last edited by wallweasels; 03-22-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast