+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage DoTs

Shadowlander

Default Mage DoTs

Am I missing something? I re-specced into Warlock last night (L30-31.5) to give it a shot and had 3/3 Neddra's Influence. At the end of my questing session, I kept warlock but ditched Neddra's Influence and took both Dark Touch and Life Leech completely off my hotbar. I just don't see the point in casting one over another void bolt instead. Do the DoTs get better at higher level, or do they always seem completely worthless?

DoT's are a little more useful during long fights, since they are instant cast and can be cast while you are moving.(except life leech which sux)
    Nice for for those moments when you have to run from fire or move out of a poison ring.
    You can throw off a couple of dot's while moving to your new spot then continue spamming void bolt.
    Last edited by Zannah; 03-22-2011 at 04:35 AM.

The dots really are quite pathetic, but its better to cast something on the run than nothing, so sadly this remains are weapon of choice when in a non-GoS spec. And yes, dots really really need to do more damage, I am level 42 and my dots are hitting 4k hp warriors for 80... And those are the high ones, some of my other dots are hitting for like 50-60.

This is like 2% or less of their hp. I really don't know who was trying to balanace out these numbers but a dot doing only 1-2% of someones health is really sad.

Telaran

I do agree that the DoT damage needs a slight buff, maybe the SP coefficient needs adjusted, but I dont want them to get such a buff, and all i have to do is throw some dots on and run away, imo that would be boring. I also think that DoTs should do enough damage that healers WANT to despell them, as of right now, there is no pont, all heals can just outheal them with one HoT. Btw im a necro/lock so Dot damage is important to me. One more thing, I think that Life leech at its current state should be insta cast, since the damage is low and the healing effect is, well crap.

Dark touch deals triple the damage of void bolt over its duration.
    Never use dark touch, suck at the game.
    Go whine at the forums after that, mages are UP, you know.

p.s. Spell power coefficients are equal between all warlock spells, at least they are equal against my 1200 spell power.
    Last edited by Halman; 03-22-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Telaran

I use all of my dots, If you dont well.... I never once said Mages are UP, i do agree however we are limited in our soul combinations, due to lack of synergy. We have some good setups though, Necro/lock, Storm/ele etc... Just liek you said Dark touch does triple the damage of void bolt over its duration. But still 1 HoT can negate all of your DoTs, ONE HoT to 3 DoTs, necrosis, DArk touch and life leech. Healers should be forced to dispell the dots, also called going defensive. At this point liek i said a healer doesnt have to do much to negate a large portion of our damage, and all they simply have to do put a HoT on them. But to eachs own, I love my Mage and will never stop playing him. I can kill people just as quick as anyoen else, but to do so i usually have to put in 3 times the amount of work, which i take pride in. The discussion was about Dot Damage and IMO could use just a little boost, to actually make healers WANT to get rid of them, Just liek a healer will try to CC the champ, sin, melee in general off of them. Anyway Love the Mage for what they are, a VERY high skill cap powerhouse if used correctly. Cya in game yall.

Rift Disciple

dots are ok in pve, usless in WF pvp

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    Dark touch deals triple the damage of void bolt over its duration.
    Never use dark touch, suck at the game.
    Go whine at the forums after that, mages are UP, you know.

p.s. Spell power coefficients are equal between all warlock spells, at least they are equal against my 1200 spell power.
    Thank you oh wise one for dispelling all of my concerns and banishing my noobishness. I clearly have no idea how to play and would never seek to expand my knowledge of a soul that I have played for ~2 hours on a public forum dedicated to such souls.

Oh wait, perosnal experience checking back in...I'm level 30. Dark touch deals ~35 damage a tick and ticks ~5x before a mob dies (that's 175 if math is hard). Void bolt hits for 220.

The proper way to phrase that to be less insulting and more helpful is:

Yes, with high levels of spellpower and at advanced level, it becomes worthwhile to cast Dark Touch. However, when low level and grinding through quest mobs from a stationary position, it is probably not worth the GCD. At spellpower X or level Y (with Neddra's Influence), it will become a valuable part of your arsenal.

Reason for forum post: solving for X and or Y.
    Not reason for forum post: gratifying your need to tell everyone how much better at mage you are than us.

Telaran

Dots flat out have more damage per cast time than a nuke, as long as they get their full duration. On a boss you should be applying every dot every time it wears off, and if you soloing in pve, fight multiple mobs at once so your dots can tick their full durations.

In pvp.. they're kinda meh, but that's just because burst is king in pvp and always will be.

If the dots are running their full duration or nearly, they are worth casting. So if you have a multi-pull (especially when they are spread out because they are ranged) or a higher than normal HP mob, they definitely are worth it. On multi-pulls that are spread out, I often kill 1-2 mobs with only dots. And yes, any dot that is instant cast is nice for being able to cast while moving.

Sure, in PvP they aren't as useful, but they still have their place.
    --Quinalla, Mage of TOSH on Reclaimer

dot builds are fun to play because you are always casting something but lets be honest, 1 GOOD aoe healer on the other WF team and you're pretty much useless.

Would love to see dot damage increased slightly. Nothing crazy, but instead of hitting guys for 80 I would like to see maybe 110ish.... as it is now, I try to ONLY stack dots on the fang carrier and healers. Fang carrier for obvious reasons and healers so they will spend more time healing / cleansing themselves than the group.
    Hi, I'm Xenic. I came to blow $hit up

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Quinburger View Post
    Dots flat out have more damage per cast time than a nuke, as long as they get their full duration.
    ^ This

Keyword: more dmg per cast time

+ Reply to Thread